Recruitment | Vital Football

Recruitment

Pearced

Vital 1st Team Regular
Bring back Dane? Someone made a complete balls-up with the Newcastle debacle in January and, although it is still early days, the new Jock seems to be getting rebuffed at every turn. Willian, Henderson possibly going on tour with ManU and the Brazilian kid. Not looking promising. Opinions? To early to be concerned?

Bring back Dane? Someone made a complete balls-up with the Newcastle debacle in January and, although it is still early days, the new Jock seems to be getting rebuffed at every turn. Willian, Henderson possibly going on tour with ManU and the Brazilian kid. Not looking promising. Opinions? To early to be concerned?
During that 'debacle' we also recruited Filipe, Danilo and Navas.
Or were they not recruited by the 'new Jock'?

During that 'debacle' we also recruited Filipe, Danilo and Navas.
Or were they not recruited by the 'new Jock'?
I think the Jock (is he Scottish?) came in after. The Jan recruitment was a bit odd. Three excellent incomings as you listed then some really odd ones (Shelvey, Wood, Ayew). It looked like two different recruitment leaders. Who knows?

Dane was horrendous.

That transfer window was horrific in the summer.

Literally two players brought in played a significant part- 3 if you count 1/3 of the season of Max Lowe. Half the signings never even featured.

January was the same but had three firm hits that made a big difference

Dane was horrendous.

Literally two players brought in played a significant part- 3 if you count 1/3 of the season of Max Lowe. Half the signings never even featured.

Agreed I guess. Although Dane's recruitment did end up with a promotion, whether by accident or intent. That January one really does have the feel of two different recruitment groups. One excellent and the Newcastle one (although EM did get rid of that Newcastle old boy afterwards which may be related).

Dane was horrendous.

Dane was in charge of the recruitment of a team that got us promoted for the 1st time in over 20 years.

There is a desire to pin all the good 'uns on people we like (That was a Cooper signing) and all the bad 'uns on the pantomime villain (That was a Dane one). This is a bit simple and completely made up to suit an agenda.

I know you had a downer on him from the off, but history will record he oversaw the most successful era in many fans' lives.

Dane Murphy was also Championship CEO of the year for the 2021-22 season. They don't just give those out for shits and giggles.

Going back to the OP's point, some could make an argument for having him, and his vision at the club now.

As Joni Mitchell famously penned, 'you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone'. 'Both sides now' is also a cracker, but not relevant to this.

Dane was in charge of the recruitment of a team that got us promoted for the 1st time in over 20 years.

There is a desire to pin all the good 'uns on people we like (That was a Cooper signing) and all the bad 'uns on the pantomime villain (That was a Dane one). This is a bit simple and completely made up to suit an agenda.

I know you had a downer on him from the off, but history will record he oversaw the most successful era in many fans' lives.
I liked his vision of bringing in young players and developing them. That philosophy seems to have been pushed aside - maybe for short term survival but many old players in and now rumoured (e.g. William)

Easy to bring in young players and develop them for a club with the pedigree of Nottingham Forest............ in the championship. Low cost and a 50/50 chance that they will make the grade. If they don't ( Panzo as an example) easy to shift and even a chance of making a profit. We are now a Premier Leauge club, young players who only have a good chance of being good enough cost the earth and have clubs queuing up for their signatures, a completely different ball game.

Easy to bring in young players and develop them for a club with the pedigree of Nottingham Forest............ in the championship. Low cost and a 50/50 chance that they will make the grade. If they don't ( Panzo as an example) easy to shift and even a chance of making a profit. We are now a Premier Leauge club, young players who only have a good chance of being good enough cost the earth and have clubs queuing up for their signatures, a completely different ball game.
And someone had the foresight to go for Danilo who fits what you’re saying. Much better than Wood, Willian, Saiss etc as a business model

The recruitment was utter shite.

Key targets missed, such as Fleming.

Promotion was gained almost entirely by Cooper getting a lot more out of players already here.

Zinkernagel worked well. Spence and Lowe were two relatively late panic loans that happened to work well. Everyone else was already here.

Cook was a masterstroke, Davis as cover for Grabban and Surridge also good January additions.

But we still signed players in January who never played a minute just as in the summer

And someone had the foresight to go for Danilo who fits what you’re saying. Much better than Wood, Willian, Saiss etc as a business model
I don't agree with the criticism of the Wood signing. We were first year as a Premier leauge club and were hanging on with our finger nails. A proven goal scorer at the level we were playing at became available. It would have been a very bad call at the time if we had decided not to get him.

Promotion was gained almost entirely by Cooper getting a lot more out of players already here.

Zinkernagel worked well. Spence and Lowe were two relatively late panic loans that happened to work well. Everyone else was already here.

Cook was a masterstroke, Davis as cover for Grabban and Surridge also good January additions.

But we still signed players in January who never played a minute just as in the summer
You have a point. When I was jumping around with 3 generations of my family at Wembley, swinging my scarf around my head singing ‘Freed from Desire’, I did think, FFS what could have been accomplished if we had better recruitment.

I don't agree with the criticism of the Wood signing. We were first year as a Premier leauge club and were hanging on with our finger nails. A proven goal scorer at the level we were playing at became available. It would have been a very bad call at the time if we had decided not to get him.

Its not that we got him, its the the how we got him.

We were bent over and taken dry by Newcastle.

Its not that we got him, its the the how we got him.

We were bent over and taken dry by Newcastle.
Really? Professional sport is by its very definition is a dog eats dog business, a football club doing anyone a favour is a rare thing indeed. We paid what we had to , its as simple as that.

So to paraphrase…
Zink (phwoar) worked well, Spence and Lowe worked, Cook was excellent, Davis was good recruiting, oh and Surridge was too.

Show me on the doll where Zane touched you.