Real names that would suit a comic strip character | Vital Football

Real names that would suit a comic strip character

stokeimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
Many of us will have grown up with the comic strip footballer Roy of the Rovers. But when I hear the name Stirling Moss, I’ve often thought that if someone were to do a comic strip of a racing driver, the name Stirling Moss would epitomise that character – you couldn’t “make it up” (is it an onomatopoeia?) . I tried to think of other real sportsmen/women, whose names would suit a comic strip character of their sport, and only came up with another couple of possibles

Any more suggestions? Don’t suppose it has to be limited to sportsmen. My list to date

• Racing driver – Stirling Moss
  • Motor cycle racer – Barry Sheen
  • Footballer – George Best

Not exactly this, but I did chuckle at "The Chase" yesterday.
One contestant was called Winston, the lad on the next podium was called Churchill.

Not sure if this counts (and hopefully this doesn't violate any sort of GDPR ), but in a previous job I fulfilled an order for a Dutch guy called Kick Dekker and it just stuck with me ever since. Imagine if he was a kickboxer or practiced capoeira, it would be perfect!

Not sure if this counts (and hopefully this doesn't violate any sort of GDPR ), but in a previous job I fulfilled an order for a Dutch guy called Kick Dekker and it just stuck with me ever since. Imagine if he was a kickboxer or practiced capoeira, it would be perfect!

Pretty useful for a traditional footballing 'reducer', as well!

I once worked with someone called Orlando Heron.

But the charity worker who came to my door called Paige Turner still makes me smile.

BBC North West have a weather girl called Sara Blizzard.

Back to footballers Jim Grummett summoned up an image of a no nonsense, lantern jawed player which wasnt so far from the reality.

In more recent times the Sunderland player (still?) Max Power can only be a dynamic box to box goal scoring midfielder.

I also have admiration for Chris Moyses' attempts to have a nature park themed back 4 - Wood, Waterfall, Bush, populated with Beevers. Which made the advent of Tempest a bit of a worry.

I don't know exactly what their superpower would be, but a friend of mine once supposedly had a customer called Mr Gotobed. I really hope it's true because what a name that is.

Not really a comic strip name but my Father had an American friend who rejoiced in the glorious name of Kermit Eggensperger

I don't know exactly what their superpower would be, but a friend of mine once supposedly had a customer called Mr Gotobed. I really hope it's true because what a name that is.

It's a name whose home is Cambridgeshire but, perhaps surprisingly, it was as late as the mid 1890s that a Gotobed birth was registered in Lincs. There seem to have been two branches of the family, one in Spalding and the other at Grimsby.

It's a name whose home is Cambridgeshire but, perhaps surprisingly, it was as late as the mid 1890s that a Gotobed birth was registered in Lincs. There seem to have been two branches of the family, one in Spalding and the other at Grimsby.

How do you know these things?! :grinning:

Thanks, very interesting! Glad I finally know it's a real surname.