Real Madrid-Manchester City Champions League Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Real Madrid-Manchester City Champions League Post Match Thread

22:52
FT: Real Madrid 3-1 Man City (agg: 6-5)

OK, I'll pose the question...
Have we just witnessed the best two-legged European Cup tie of all time?

Nedum Onuoha: You thought City would get over the line
"I’m just gutted. You want to try and talk and make sense of it, but the emotion is definitely there. We were a bit sloppy in the second half, but when Riyad scores that goal you trust them to take it over the line. To then end up going to extra-time, it makes you sad. This is the downside of cup competitions; you are one results from it being over."

"For the guys, they are going to have to take this in. Real Madrid have that history. They are no mugs, but if you have a 1-0 lead at the Bernabeu and you are Manchester City and you have ambitions of making it to the Champions League final, you need to be able to manage those moments. I think overall, they probably didn’t do that."

22:55
'City never seemed in control'

Former Manchester United and England defender Rio Ferdinand on BT Sport:
"Every single time this Real Madrid team pegged Manchester City back.
"They never seemed in total control. It wasn’t the convincing City.
"Real Madrid prove time and time against hey will get chances. I was on edge for City.
"The character of quality of this Real Madrid team speaks for itself."

22:59
'The league could blow up'

Jonathan Woodgate
Former England defender on BBC Radio 5 Live

What ramifications does that have on the league? They could blow up after this.

Such a distressing loss.

^ Well, we'll just have to prove you wrong, won't we?

Opposition view
Carlo Ancelotti shares his thoughts:

"I cannot say we are used to living this kind of night, but I think what happened to night also happened against Chelsea. It’s really difficult to say why. The biggest history of this club helped us to kick on when we were gone.

"The game was close to finishing. We were we close to finding the last energy. I think we played a really good way against a really strong rival and when we scored, we were psychologically better in extra-time."

Trevor Sinclair: The stars didn't align
"You’ve got to take the positives from the experience, but it will be difficult to lift the players out there. Bernardo didn’t deserve to be on the losing team. You look at key players in their side – the goalkeeper was outstanding.

"There were a lot of things where you think the stars just didn’t align for us this time. Sometimes the luck just goes against you. I think it has but they have got to look at how they manage these situations better."

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City will bounce back from our Champions League semi-final defeat to Real Madrid in time for Sunday’s crucial Premier League game against Newcastle United.
Speaking at his post-match press conference, Guardiola said his players will be ready to respond at the weekend, as our attentions turn back to the Premier League title race.
“We need time now,” he said.
“One or two days, but we will rise, we will come up. We have to do it, with our people.
“The players gave everything, we were so close but, in the end, we couldn’t do it. In history, in all sports, this kind of situation happens.
“That feeling when you arrive at the end with 15 minutes, and you are absolutely dominated with a lot of problems created by the opponent didn’t happen.
“They found it and after one minute later, the other one.
“When their people supporting them, it is a little bit more difficult and after, the penalty that I didn’t watch, made the difference.”

We are probably in a state of shock and the players will surely be on the floor……but Pep will find a way to rally them to face the challenge that remains - to win the league for the second consecutive season for the second time in the last 5 seasons. The players need to recover quickly and absolutely focus on what remains within their grasp - they cannot control the past but they can’t control their immediate future.

It feels like a waking nightmare - almost unbelievable - I thought we could do it when we restored that 2 goal lead late in the game but we couldn’t get over the line. A massive disappointment ……..but if you would have told me on dark night in December 1997 when we lost against York in the third tier of English football that we would be where we are now…….now that too would have hardly been believable.

CTID.

We are probably in a state of shock and the players will surely be on the floor……but Pep will find a way to rally them to face the challenge that remains - to win the league for the second consecutive season for the second time in the last 5 seasons. The players need to recover quickly and absolutely focus on what remains within their grasp - they cannot control the past but they can’t control their immediate future.

It feels like a waking nightmare - almost unbelievable - I thought we could do it when we restored that 2 goal lead late in the game but we couldn’t get over the line. A massive disappointment ……..but if you would have told me on dark night in December 1997 when we lost against York in the third tier of English football that we would be where we are now…….now that too would have hardly been believable.

CTID.

They will be hurting but that is why that will make them more determined, what is a worry though, we create really good chances but no-one deadly enough to put them away, that's why Aguero was so special but four games and four wins will make up for the loss at Madrid (tin hats on btw)