Rate the ref v Gillingham (Home) | Vital Football

Rate the ref v Gillingham (Home)

Jamesimp

Vital Squad Member
Tomorrows game against Gillingham will have the fairly familiar face of Tom Neild in the middle, lets hope he makes Hamish McCheat turn purple and explode up his own arse. For all the low down on the ref click here https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/this-match-is-not-about-me-lincoln-city-v-gillingham/

Neil Hair (W) 8.68
James Linnington (D) 8.50
Tony Harrington (W) 8.23
Ollie Yates (W) (L) 8.08
Joshua Smith (L) 7.81
Darren Bond (L) 7.68
Anthony Backhouse (L) 7.55
Michael Salisbury (L) 7.30
Andy Haines (W) 7.21
Lee Doughty (L) 7.11
Marc Edwards (L) 6.79
Kevin Johnson (D) 6.75
Craig Breakspear (L) 6.30
Andy Baines (L) 6.17
Tom Neild (L) 6.17
Ross Joyce (D) 5.94
James Oldham (L) (W) 5.62
Darren Handley (L) 5.43
Ben Toner (L) (W) 5.32
Brett Huxtable (W) 5.32
Lee Swabey (W) (L) 5.29
Chris Pollard (L) (L) 4.89
Stephen Martin (L) 4.48
Chris Sarginson (L) (W) 4.20
Martin Coy (L) 3.71
Craig Hicks (L) 3.28
Andy Haines (D) 2.61
Carl Boyeson (L) (W) 1.91
John Busby (D) 1.76

Oh dear, not very good at all. It's not very often you will hear a manager openly criticise a ref as Appleton has today, and that must be a good indicator.
1/10

An aside to this, I fully believe that football is finished as a physical game. I'm sick to the teeth of seeing players fall under the slightest pressure, and more sick of referees buying it 9 out of 10 times.

Not too bad in the first half, but one of the worst second halves for a long time. Forgot he'd booked Edun already and probably wouldn't have done so the second time if he'd remembered. The linesman nearly allowed Akinde to score despite him being at least 5 yards offside too. A generous 1.5 out of 10.

Suspect performance from start to finish. Hesketh for me was a straight red, I'm guessing 8500 home fans put him off. On the whole bottled it.

3/10

A pretty dismal 3/10 .... he gets an extra point for not sending off Hesketh (although that could’ve been a blessing)

Very poor indeed. Hesketh and one of there’s should of had a straight red, then he sends off Edun for hand bag stuff. Fell for there tricks all match but he did play the advantage a few times. Not quite as bad as the last two home games, 3 from me.

Cheap free kicks all game, the vast majority given to them. A common theme being their player would give ours a nudge or push a split second ahead of the ball arriving = no offence. Our players would contest a 50/50 = free kick against us. Basically the game would have been far better if he had completely disregarded most of the incidents from both categories and let the players get on with the game. 3/10

Did not allow for the conditions, Hesketh was very lucky to stay on, as was Evans ! Gave us very little, their lot just needed a touch and collapsed in a mangled heap, ref bought into it, very weak out of his depth. Did well no to send anybody off until the 90th and that was soft. Think he had forgotten he had booked him previously.
1.5 / 10

Last edited:
Poor from me too, so many bad decisions( both ways) but seemed to favour the away side. It took until the later stages until we became streetwise and managed to earn a couple of cheep freekicks
3/10

2/10. Didn't allow any flow to the game and clearly had forgotten he had booked Edun earlier. Then seemed to give him another yellow before the red. Poor

2/10. Never had control of the game, flashed cards when he perhaps didn’t need to. I know I’m not a big fan but it takes something for me to say a Lincoln player should have seen red, but Hesketh really got away with that first half challenge - it was awful. Edun should never have gone - the incident for his second booking was fifty-fifty and it was pretty clear the ref had forgotten he’d already booked him and gave himself no choice but to send him off after that. 😡😡😡

2/10.Far too officious and pernickety. I thought at the time Hesketh should have walked. Wonder if Evans' ranting and raving saved his skin ie, ref thinks I'm not letting him dictate to me? Bought all the play-acting on both sides. Thought the Gills' player should have walked in the second half too. Edun was sent off for handbags; nice to see him standing his ground. Pointless appealing it though. Hopefully, Melbourne will be fit in a couple of weeks' time.

Edun actually got 3 yellows and a red must be something of a record when he really should have only got 1.
Gills player first half should have had a yellow for a dive in the box among many inconsistent decisions
3/10 for me.

Neild is always the same here, I can go back 4/5 yrs with this guy never gives us anything,I had a word with MA at the end and told him exactly that. I would say it was a 4-1 fouls ratio in there favour, and Evans yellow card was for standing in front of our players with throw ins, and threw ball away twice as his players were doing all game. Neild was an absolute disgrace. -10

Cheap free kicks all game, the vast majority given to them. A common theme being their player would give ours a nudge or push a split second ahead of the ball arriving = no offence. Our players would contest a 50/50 = free kick against us. Basically the game would have been far better if he had completely disregarded most of the incidents from both categories and let the players get on with the game. 3/10

Spot on Hully.

As for me, I thought Tom Neild had a very poor game; why do we keep getting such dire refs at home?

I have never, in all me 57 years watching City and football in general, seen a ref give the same player THREE yellow cards and one red! The really does beggar belief!

1.5 from me.

As for me, I thought Tom Neild had a very poor game; why do we keep getting such dire refs at home?

I have never, in all me 57 years watching City and football in general, seen a ref give the same player THREE yellow cards and one red! The really does beggar belief!

1.5 from me.

I think he brandished the yellow and red again, to prove to the crowd he knew what he was doing 🙄. The crook probably told him 😒

Not sure you can appeal two yellows ? or even three yellows.

His exact words were, post-game, you don't get many second yellows overturned, so presumably it is possible? He said that the second booking was very harsh and it would be wrong from Taiyo's point of view, if we didn't appeal.