Rate the ref v Exeter | Page 3 | Vital Football

Rate the ref v Exeter

He was good. Problem is his mistakes did go against us (Anderson block and Rhead penalty). Palmer’s tackle was bad and deserved a yellow. Re Wilson, he also didn’t book one of our players for kicking their player in the face in a very similar situation which constitutes fair ref to me. Stop whining and trying to blame the fact we didn’t win on the ref and just accept the teams are very evenly matched

Watched the match live on Sky so had the benefits of replays, slow motion etc. Thought the ref was poor. One clear penalty and one that could have gone either way. Offered Rhead no protection and actually gave a free kick against Rhead when it was clear on the replay that Anderson made the foul. Only good thing was his lack of cards. 4

And the bugger owes us big time after York last year. Especially after earlier today apparently trying to disown that wrong decision by blaming the linesman.

You can't even out decisions from a previous game whether and he did actually give the penalty on the lino's say so.

Watched the match live on Sky so had the benefits of replays, slow motion etc. Thought the ref was poor. One clear penalty and one that could have gone either way. Offered Rhead no protection and actually gave a free kick against Rhead when it was clear on the replay that Anderson made the foul. Only good thing was his lack of cards. 4

Shame the ref didn't have the slow-mos and replays ;)

I think we’ve had our standards lowered... 4 for me. Inconsistency with the high foot issue again. The challenge on Whitehouse is a pen for me, it’s a foul anywhere else.

Then again he’s a paid ref with two assistants yards from the action. I on the other hand am an ordinary punter. If fans in the stands can see it so should he.

True, but I suppose that all depends in what the fans in the stands are seeing, we want all the 50/50 free kicks our way, usually he has a much better neutral view. Incidentally what did happen with Rheady near the half way line? I sit nearly level but wasn't watching TBH, did the TV replay reveal anything?

True, but I suppose that all depends in what the fans in the stands are seeing, we want all the 50/50 free kicks our way, usually he has a much better neutral view. Incidentally what did happen with Rheady near the half way line? I sit nearly level but wasn't watching TBH, did the TV replay reveal anything?

He was being elbowed in the stomach.

From what I saw, the guy sort-of reached back and pushed Rhead in the stomach. And of course it wasn't that bad: Rhead was play-acting.

Some bizarre decisions, the worst of which came in the last 30 seconds when he decided to book Palmer. Was that really the worst challenge in the game, and the only one deserving of a yellow card? Absolutely pointless.

Quite how he and the cardboard cutout linesman on the Co-op side managed to miss the blatant block on Anderson, I will never know. With Anderson moving at speed, that is a red card challenge.

Giving a foul against us for a high boot when the Exeter player inexplicably decided to try to head a ball two feet off the grass was another ludicrous one.

Sometimes played advantage when there was none, and stopped the play when there was.

I don't think Mr Toner really understands football. I have thought that about him before, and suspect he has never played it to any degree. He may well have been the kid left standing by himself when all the other teams had chosen their players.

5/10, and that is being kind.

Some bizarre decisions, the worst of which came in the last 30 seconds when he decided to book Palmer. Was that really the worst challenge in the game, and the only one deserving of a yellow card? Absolutely pointless.

Quite how he and the cardboard cutout linesman on the Co-op side managed to miss the blatant block on Anderson, I will never know. With Anderson moving at speed, that is a red card challenge.

Giving a foul against us for a high boot when the Exeter player inexplicably decided to try to head a ball two feet off the grass was another ludicrous one.

Sometimes played advantage when there was none, and stopped the play when there was.

I don't think Mr Toner really understands football. I have thought that about him before, and suspect he has never played it to any degree. He may well have been the kid left standing by himself when all the other teams had chosen their players.

5/10, and that is being kind.
red card challenge? It was a free kick, yes. Nothing else.

I feel the same as oldgaurd, 2 for me as well. It certainly appeared to me as though both referee and 4 th official had axe to grind with Lincoln city, it was terribly biased towards Exeter city and I think the accessor must have been asleep, and forgot to go to the dressing room at half time to have a word, I thought it was really that bad. Lets hope the powers that be give us some decent officials next time, we just seem to be playing 11 versus 14 in at a lot of games.

come on boys, do it again.

From what I saw, the guy sort-of reached back and pushed Rhead in the stomach. And of course it wasn't that bad: Rhead was play-acting.

I think Rheady's main problem was the ref wanted to speak to both players after the incident and Rhead politely told the ref that he was the one fouled against so why did he need to hear what the ref had to say.
As usual Rhead had received little or no protection up until that point and to make matters worse the moment the game was restarted Rhead was immediately penalised for far less than he had just been on the end of.
I defy anyone not to get frustrated under such circumstances...

Looked as though he had left his cards in the dressing room, some of the challenges would have at least been a yellow especially the one on Anderson and Whitehouse might have had a penalty too. The assistant referee on the co-side didn't help matters either. The booking of Palmer was rather bizarre considering all that happened before it apart from it being Toner's 100th yellow of the season. 5/10

A friend who was watching it on Sky said it was a blatant elbow and when it was slow mo replayed it was bad and the commentators said the FA would definitely look at it and take retrospective action. Not heard that from anyone else on here though?

I don’t think he swung his elbow enough to get any real power to make anyone look at it again. Plus to me it appears the FA isn’t really bothered about league two, if it was the prem and a high profile player maybe but for Exeter I doubt any retrospective action. (I’m not saying that it’s right, it’s just how it is.)