Rallying Cry From DC | Page 3 | Vital Football

Rallying Cry From DC

The occasional flatter atmospheres I’ve noticed have tended to be the 2 or 3 colder matches. I think that might be a factor. It is all relative to the incredible atmosphere we’re used to.

Atmosphere and ground noise tends to be dictated by what is happening on the field in that particular 90 minutes and is not at all based on what has happened to the club across the last 2 years.

What I 'think' RedImps1 is suggesting is that a number of our games have been quite slow and turgid affairs with not a great amount of excitement, all out attacking play and goalmouth action.

When we have tended to take the lead, we have then been quite adept at sitting back and managing the game (other than vs Port Vale) and seemingly been more intent on preserving our 0, than adding to our 1. Grimsby was the perfect example of this.

There is no problem with this if that is how Danny chooses to do things, but it isn't the most conducive approach for generating excitement and atmosphere in the ground. It's a bit like watching 2 heavyweight boxers exchange jabs for 12 rounds but neither willing to take a big chance by going on the attack and unleashing a series of big shots, for fear of getting caught by a sucker punch.
Thankyou a reasonable poster at last!
Thats exactly how i feel and if there honest i bet alot of others do.As for Scotimps post well its extraordinary and nothing to do with atmosphere.I have no intention of going to blunders park for many many years.UTI

Atmosphere and ground noise tends to be dictated by what is happening on the field in that particular 90 minutes and is not at all based on what has happened to the club across the last 2 years.

What I 'think' RedImps1 is suggesting is that a number of our games have been quite slow and turgid affairs with not a great amount of excitement, all out attacking play and goalmouth action.

When we have tended to take the lead, we have then been quite adept at sitting back and managing the game (other than vs Port Vale) and seemingly been more intent on preserving our 0, than adding to our 1. Grimsby was the perfect example of this.

There is no problem with this if that is how Danny chooses to do things, but it isn't the most conducive approach for generating excitement and atmosphere in the ground. It's a bit like watching 2 heavyweight boxers exchange jabs for 12 rounds but neither willing to take a big chance by going on the attack and unleashing a series of big shots, for fear of getting caught by a sucker punch.

Looking back on our last four home games.....

Morecambe.....So cold and a perfect storm of wind and icy rain, with a number going at half time owing to the conditions.

Newport.....less cold but a good start and brilliant goals from Anderson and Pett. We then let in Arnond to score a very soft goal on 77 mins and we were left hanging on for dear life.

Port Vale - Waited a long time for a goal and we sat back too long and let them score in the dying seconds.

Grimsby- Early goal but then nothing and again we defended out a turgid game in the cold.

So all in all the weather played a significant part in one, the team played a part by not exactly turning on the screws in the last quarter of two of the four games and one half of the other.

Perhaps too much expectation and complacency? Something is missing.

The occasional flatter atmospheres I’ve noticed have tended to be the 2 or 3 colder matches. I think that might be a factor. It is all relative to the incredible atmosphere we’re used to.

Agree, in January New Years day was relatively quite, 617 and others hung over ! , Cods was reasonably ok but is was beep cold. Think tomorrow will be better. Seems ages since a home game.

Looking back on our last four home games.....

Morecambe.....So cold and a perfect storm of wind and icy rain, with a number going at half time owing to the conditions.

Newport.....less cold but a good start and brilliant goals from Anderson and Pett. We then let in Arnond to score a very soft goal on 77 mins and we were left hanging on for dear life.

Port Vale - Waited a long time for a goal and we sat back too long and let them score in the dying seconds.

Grimsby- Early goal but then nothing and again we defended out a turgid game in the cold.

So all in all the weather played a significant part in one, the team played a part by not exactly turning on the screws in the last quarter of two of the four games and one half of the other.

Perhaps too much expectation and complacency? Something is missing.

Port Vale was the only disappointing one results-wise. Perhaps we overdid the game management and they were all over us in the last 10 minutes. Wasn't it a few days before the Everton game, so perhaps the players sat back more than normal?

Perhaps when the team are warming up on the pitch, we could have someone leading a limbering up work out for the supporters. Alan Long on mic perhaps- stretching, arms out Dambusters, scarves aloft waving, air raid siren test, then go through our scales to get our vocal cords ready. me me me me meeeeeeeee:geek:. Then stick Neil Diamond on.

"Sincil Bank was a soulless place with depressed crowds of barely 2,500 and no hope or atmosphere."

Agree with everything you said in your thread bar the atmosphere bit, 617 did a sterling job during the desperate years in non league, granted it wasn't anything like SB nowadays when it's full, but nevertheless we made ourselves heard.

Port Vale was the only disappointing one results-wise. Perhaps we overdid the game management and they were all over us in the last 10 minutes. Wasn't it a few days before the Everton game, so perhaps the players sat back more than normal?

It was our 4th game in 10 days and a few days before the Everton game. Understandable to try to see out the game at 1-0.