Rallying Cry From DC | Page 2 | Vital Football

Rallying Cry From DC

Slightly demoralising to see DC take to heart the comments of a few keyboard warriors but I guess that’s the social media world we live in. One criticism I would make is that the atmosphere at home has been a bit flat recently - I get the impression a few are just turning up expecting a win.
Im afraid its been abit flat because there hasnt been much to cheer about .Im afraid a team "game managing" with 25/20/15 minutes to go with a one goal lead doesnt particularly inspire you to sing as loads of us are biting our nails!

I agree that it's been a bit flat in the stands lately but that doesn't mean people don't care. I'm not much of a chanter but obviously I'm desperate for us to win. Some fans are more like Stuart Pearce and some are more like Kevin Keegan, I don't think there's a right or wrong way to support.

Slightly demoralising to see DC take to heart the comments of a few keyboard warriors but I guess that’s the social media world we live in. One criticism I would make is that the atmosphere at home has been a bit flat recently - I get the impression a few are just turning up expecting a win.
Let’s put this into context. It’s been ‘flat’ compared to our best days earlier in the season (peaking v MKD) but the atmosphere is still far better than most League 2 clubs ever experience and better than our own from 15/16 and earlier.

The challenge with getting the whole fan base in unison is that we find ourselves in relative uncharted territory. When we were in the conference, most of us had seen league two and felt that we should have been in the league. That expectation was palpable throughout the season we were promoted. There seems to be a different atmosphere this season, one of a slight sense of trepidation, as if we aren’t sure if we are good enough to win the league. We all need to believe that we are and will.
This is what I have sensed too, especially these last couple of months when the end goal of promotion is nearly in sight. There is a nervousness around, an apprehension that we're going to blow it. Last season and the season before we'd go a goal down and the support really got behind the team. Everyone seemed to be on the same page from Board, through management and players , to supporters.
This season there is a different atmosphere, no question. Fans are on edge. Maybe understandably. This is my 32nd season and I have seen only 3 promotions. We're not used to being top for so long. This could in some way be why we have the conversation 'Fanbase at War'. It seems the nerves are getting the better of some. Just keep telling yourself DC's a professional winner and knows how to get over the line. Hide the nerves, come together and sing your heart out. UTI

You're mad, Redimps1. Absolutely mad.

After 60 years watching my team, probably 50years of which has been very average !! being polite, if he cannot enjoy the present well he needs some help. I nearly said go up the road to Cod land but didn't ! I am sure he enjoys it really !

Im afraid its been abit flat because there hasnt been much to cheer about .Im afraid a team "game managing" with 25/20/15 minutes to go with a one goal lead doesnt particularly inspire you to sing as loads of us are biting our nails!

I would think it's easier to get behind the team when defending a 1-0 lead than have them 3-0 down with 25/20/15 minutes to go. Let's not be spoiled!

Well there hasnt !

I take it that this is a joke? Because if it isn't you are supporting the wrong team.

That statement is one of the most truly unbelievable things anyone has ever written on this board if it's not a joke. :rolleyes:

Im afraid its been abit flat because there hasnt been much to cheer about .
I appreciate you were not watching Lincoln three years ago and will have no knowledge of any of this, but allow me to explain a few things to you.

Three years ago, the club had just signed a deal with the Co-op Bank to repay a £380,000 debt owed to them. They had called in the debt, which consisted of an £80,000 mortgage on PlayZone and a maxed-out £300,000 overdraft facility, and had given Lincoln next to no time in which to repay it. After a share and bond issue and various other appeals, the club just about managed to keep itself in existence, although the financial commitment required for repayment was 'damaging' to use Bob Dorrian's words. City then compounded their problems by finishing in the bottom half of the National League for the fifth season running. Sincil Bank was a soulless place with depressed crowds of barely 2,500 and no hope or atmosphere.

Since then:
** Clive Nates joining the board in February 2016 with a rumoured financial commitment of £1m over five years;
** Danny & Nicky Cowley;
** National League champions at the first attempt;
** FA Cup quarter-finalists for the first time in the club's history and the first non-league side to do so for 103 years;
** £2.5m generated from the FA Cup run;
** almost 60,000 at Arsenal;
** the 'damaging' Co-op debt paid off in full;
** an influx of Championship and League One players;
** 6,200 season ticket holders;
** average crowds at their highest for SIXTY years creating a great atmosphere;
** League Two play-offs at the first attempt;
** first visit to Wembley in the club's history and Checkatrade Trophy winners at the first attempt in front of 30,000 fans;
** the advent of some outstanding business acumen to the board of directors and good levels of investment;
** a new £1.3m training ground instead of having to train on a rutted field with a tree on it;
** cup wins over Oldham, Ipswich, Brighton, Burnley, Rochdale, Peterborough and Shrewsbury, all from higher divisions;
** top of League Two for 27 gameweeks out of 30;
** two points clear with a game in hand over second and third;
** almost 40,000 at Everton, a narrow 1-2 defeat to a Premier League side;
** only FOUR league defeats all season, and all by one goal;
** over 70 goals scored so far;
** ONE defeat in FOURTEEN league games, eight of which were away.

I'm sitting here cheering right now.

I appreciate you were not watching Lincoln three years ago and will have no knowledge of any of this, but allow me to explain a few things to you.

Three years ago, the club had just signed a deal with the Co-op Bank to repay a £380,000 debt owed to them. They had called in the debt, which consisted of an £80,000 mortgage on PlayZone and a maxed-out £300,000 overdraft facility, and had given Lincoln next to no time in which to repay it. After a share and bond issue and various other appeals, the club just about managed to keep itself in existence, although the financial commitment required for repayment was 'damaging' to use Bob Dorrian's words. City then compounded their problems by finishing in the bottom half of the National League for the fifth season running. Sincil Bank was a soulless place with depressed crowds of barely 2,500 and no hope or atmosphere.

Since then:
** Clive Nates joining the board in February 2016 with a rumoured financial commitment of £1m over five years;
** Danny & Nicky Cowley;
** National League champions at the first attempt;
** FA Cup quarter-finalists for the first time in the club's history and the first non-league side to do so for 103 years;
** £2.5m generated from the FA Cup run;
** almost 60,000 at Arsenal;
** the 'damaging' Co-op debt paid off in full;
** an influx of Championship and League One players;
** 6,200 season ticket holders;
** average crowds at their highest for SIXTY years creating a great atmosphere;
** League Two play-offs at the first attempt;
** first visit to Wembley in the club's history and Checkatrade Trophy winners at the first attempt in front of 30,000 fans;
** the advent of some outstanding business acumen to the board of directors and good levels of investment;
** a new £1.3m training ground instead of having to train on a rutted field with a tree on it;
** cup wins over Oldham, Ipswich, Brighton, Burnley, Rochdale, Peterborough and Shrewsbury, all from higher divisions;
** top of League Two for 27 gameweeks out of 30;
** two points clear with a game in hand over second and third;
** almost 40,000 at Everton, a narrow 1-2 defeat to a Premier League side;
** only FOUR league defeats all season, and all by one goal;
** over 70 goals scored so far;
** ONE defeat in FOURTEEN league games, eight of which were away.

I'm sitting here cheering right now.

Well clearly Redimps1 demands even more than that! Because as he/she said they just can't cheer about that.

I think if we were top of The Premier League having won every game in the season then maybe they would be satisfied.

Maybe he/she should trot on up the road to Grimsby as he/she seems pretty obsessed with out neighbours up the road then maybe he/she could then appreciate what we have here!

Well clearly Redimps1 demands even more than that! Because as he/she said they just can't cheer about that.

I think if we were top of The Premier League having won every game in the season then maybe they would be satisfied.

Maybe he/she should trot on up the road to Grimsby as he/she seems pretty obsessed with out neighbours up the road then maybe he/she could then appreciate what we have here!
Thanks everybody i shall do a Scotimp and dip out of the thread and leave you to it.As usual people go off on there own little tangents and read what they want ! See you saturday and at Morecambe. Uti

Atmosphere and ground noise tends to be dictated by what is happening on the field in that particular 90 minutes and is not at all based on what has happened to the club across the last 2 years.

What I 'think' RedImps1 is suggesting is that a number of our games have been quite slow and turgid affairs with not a great amount of excitement, all out attacking play and goalmouth action.

When we have tended to take the lead, we have then been quite adept at sitting back and managing the game (other than vs Port Vale) and seemingly been more intent on preserving our 0, than adding to our 1. Grimsby was the perfect example of this.

There is no problem with this if that is how Danny chooses to do things, but it isn't the most conducive approach for generating excitement and atmosphere in the ground. It's a bit like watching 2 heavyweight boxers exchange jabs for 12 rounds but neither willing to take a big chance by going on the attack and unleashing a series of big shots, for fear of getting caught by a sucker punch.

I expect the Selenity stand to throw off their woolly blankets, throw their tweed caps into the air wave the old walking stick about and wibble......"Youve all done very well!!'
Then collapse in a heap
I did a couple of early scarf swings (so prominent at Elland Road recently) against Grimsby in the Selenity .... but nobody joined in, so sat back down again feeling a tad deflated.