Racism in football/booing/the knee | Page 32 | Vital Football

Racism in football/booing/the knee

If Celtic and Rangers ever get into the English leagues you can expect more of this.

It would be a sad day for English football if that ever came to pass. It's difficult to underestimate the incompetence of football administrators but surely they can't miss the unwanted baggage that comes with what is essentially two cheeks from the same arse.

There would however be street parties throughout most of Scotland.

The time for Rangers and Celtic was in the mid 90s to early 00s. There was far more money in the Scottish game due to Sky's interest. Celtic had players like Larsson, Sutton etc. Rangers had players like Gazza then Ronald De Boer et al, genuinely big name quality players.

Now these sides are basically at the Championship level and less people care about Scottish football.

Some chants are done with a sense of humour. I doubt if Warnock minds a jot about the Colin ****** stuff. But some abuse is dripping with a vile sense of hatred, and it's hugely offensive no matter what the subject is. SJM's abuse comes into that category. Always needs to be stamped upon.

Anything about a person's background or family should be off-limits.

It would be a sad day for English football if that ever came to pass. It's difficult to underestimate the incompetence of football administrators but surely they can't miss the unwanted baggage that comes with what is essentially two cheeks from the same arse.

There would however be street parties throughout most of Scotland.
If Scotland ever get independence then Rangers and Celtic could set up their own super league with.....erm 🤔

Bit of a sweeping statement but I think it would be fair to say football fans have been historically the most racist 'group' of people.
We now have full stadiums applauding the knee taking with no boos across the country.
I think this is pretty good evidence that we don't have a on mass racist issue in the country.
Yes there are lone wolf idiots who are racist. But they are few and far between. This country has come a long way and should be complimented for it rather than everyone being classed as racist all the god dam time.

Bit of a sweeping statement but I think it would be fair to say football fans have been historically the most racist 'group' of people.
We now have full stadiums applauding the knee taking with no boos across the country.
I think this is pretty good evidence that we don't have a on mass racist issue in the country.
Yes there are lone wolf idiots who are racist. But they are few and far between. This country has come a long way and should be complimented for it rather than everyone being classed as racist all the god dam time.

Football is tribal mate, you'll always get banter and abuse. All players will get stick , piss takes and border line abuse. The media will do its best to find anything that can be remotely racist, and spin it out as that is the current "on trend"

I actually looked around me last game and there isn't a single black or Asian person in the lower Doug Ellis stand, I can't see all the seats but I can see 80% of them. Go figure that one out as Birmingham has above average ethnic population.

Football is tribal mate, you'll always get banter and abuse. All players will get stick , piss takes and border line abuse. The media will do its best to find anything that can be remotely racist, and spin it out as that is the current "on trend"

I actually looked around me last game and there isn't a single black or Asian person in the lower Doug Ellis stand, I can't see all the seats but I can see 80% of them. Go figure that one out as Birmingham has above average ethnic population.per
Yes,Villan,disappointing reality but part of the problem is that whilst many Villans were ess "indoctrinated " by dad ,brother(s),Uncles,etc, people from different cultures and backgrounds are less exposed to such influences. At my local gym, Black and Asian guys generally support Liverpool or Man U. Ironic that we play Everton on Saturday, the most played fixture in English Football, 82 wins each. Wonderful for we old codgers but of no relevance to most. Maybe a period of success will galvanise more locals to follow the Brummie teams. Sincerely hope so.

England manager Gareth Southgate believes Hungary's stadium ban and a prison sentence for a West Brom fan show that a more "tolerant society" is emerging.
https://www.skysports.com/football/...acism-shows-progress-towards-tolerant-society

:slap:

That's be a stadium ban that was already in place but ignored?

Racism is just abhorrent , but to racially abuse one of your own teams player is totally mind boggling , there has to be something mentally wrong with you to be a racist is a given .
So should it be prison or a mental health hospital for that baggies fan ?

Racism is just abhorrent , but to racially abuse one of your own teams player is totally mind boggling , there has to be something mentally wrong with you to be a racist is a given .
So should it be prison or a mental health hospital for that baggies fan ?
Think you answered your own question there Mutt_Man :lol:

On a slightly more serious note, I don’t see the end of racism just yet, it may be the start of tackling it because none of us are afraid to confront it both within ourselves and in others. But we all still have a lot to learn IMHO.

Bournemouth apparently not taking the knee before our game and during the season.

And looks like the Premier league captains have got together and decided the gesture has run its course in terms of impact and perhaps the way forward will be to select games as and when.

Think this is correct. Huge impact to start off with but has just become something that happens now. And it should not be just something that happens just because.

Last edited:
Bournemouth apparently not taking the knee before our game and during the season.

And looks like the Premier league captains have got together and decided the gesture has run its course in terms of impact and perhaps the way forward will be to select games as and when.

Think this is correct. Huge impact to start off with but has just become something that happens now. And it should not be just something that happens just because.
Totally agree, it's a protest gesture. Started in American Football during the national anthems, predominantly by black players protesting an injustice. The sight of 22 players doing it for two seconds before the whistle did little to raise awareness of injustice or racism for me and was a "token" response by individuals that don't understand the issue.

I could be wrong (it has been known :LOL:) and players were well informed and had thought through the issues ala Lewis Hamilton in F1. I think it should be brought back for every time there is an event or injustice that is newsworthy and ensure that everyone is aware that it is highlighting that specific event. This would make a more powerful impression on people. They could also refer to the event in the post match interviews "Your thoughts on ...." etc.

Not sure what game it was,may of been an international, but remember one team standing and pointing to the Respect badge on the kit sleeve.
Like most things, you do it too much and it loses its significance.
At the end of the day, and I know sportsmen and sportswomen are role models, it's sport and not politics.

Agree it's time to retire it. The disagreements about it and ensuing debate alone I think made it worthwhile, and now it's pretty much universally accepted and/or ignored means there's no longer any reason to do it. Protest needs to give way to planning and hard work, so I'd be interested to know what, if anything, has been put in motion to pursue the issue long-term.

I don't think it really achieved much overall and players who take the knee seem perfectly happy to go to a world cup where the infrastructure was built by actual slaves and additionally keep their mouths shut about Saudi ownership of British football clubs.

This. Just tokenism isn't it. Thought doing it once would have been far, far, more impactful anyway.

Was fully behind them doing it and will be fully behind them stopping. It's them and their teammates suffering the vile abuse so happy with them to chose how they bring the issue of racism to the fore.

I just hope the message continues to get rammed home in one way or another that racism in football or life in general is not acceptable and won't be tolerated.