Race Issues/Riots/Protests/BLM | Page 157 | Vital Football

Race Issues/Riots/Protests/BLM

For sure, things slowly change. We used to call each other gayers on here, when RS came out, I remember calling him a straighter ... Wouldn't do the gay/gayers thing now. I know one facebook picture is a mate on the train coming home from Man City. I facebooked it saying 'some of my mates are so gay'.

No malice. But looking at it now, not right either.

But that is different to if I was in my 20's (I wish) saying I hated all gays, or all this, thats or the others.

So I think some of it is moving with the times, being educated, realising what is and isn't appropriate, but some of it is far harder to excuse away as an age thing I would imagine?

Not seen that ladies earlier posts, so not judging that, but there is a difference.

I agree with Dan, where do we stop and how do we judge whether someone has grown up/changed/matured/educated themselves. Take Declan Rice, he had all those IRA tweets but is now playing for England. People tried to make Kevin Hart apologise twice for his homophobic tweets. I don't think Eddie Murphy ever apologized for what was pretty much hate speech against gay people in his act in the 80s.

Honestly Col its still early twenties, in my teens and early twenties I'd says things like gay and I used the word fa**ot. 25-45 we were the guinea pigs for social media and I am sure I've got some dodgy stuff buried in my FB. One of my brothers was homophobic, or I believe he was. 10 years is a long time he has grown immensely.

I've never admitted this because I feel shameful about it, I used to say what is Black Lives Matter. Why can't All Lives Matter, I said this at 24 I think. I've done the work to get more educated.

My personal belief, and it doesnt make it true but for me its true. People change, you're not the same person you were a year ago. For me thats true simply because of the progress I have made with my anxiety, self-awareness and the type of media I consume.
She hasn't grown up though. She was doing a show yesterday where she was saying her national anthem was racist because it was on about black slaves.... In actual fact it was about the English army and our Monarchy but whatever she wants to believe.
So she most certainly hasn't changed her opinion.
But in general I agree yes. For people who are now clean and mature and have common sense tweets and posts from when they were young shouldn't be held against them really.

How do we know that she has changed? Is it because she has stopped tweeting racial epithets? Has she actually issued a proper apology?

No refuge could save the hireling & slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free & the home of the brave.

This is a verse from the American national anthem she is protesting. Its about English trying to rescue slaves, and Americans fighting to prevent it.

Why should she support such racism?

Last edited:
No refuge could save the hireling & slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free & the home of the brave.

This is a verse from the American national anthem she is protesting. Its about English trying to rescue drives, and Americans fighting to prevent it.

Why should she support such racism?
https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2018/07/us/national-anthem-annotated/

Which bit is racist? Press the highlighted words for the annotations by the 3 professionals. Their qualifications are also on there

Blimey. The English freeing slaves.
Maybe that could be used in evidence towards us not being the evil, racist slave abusers as we are perceived by some then.

Blimey. The English freeing slaves.
Maybe that could be used in evidence towards us not being the evil, racist slave abusers as we are perceived by some then.

I do wonder what the average person thought about all that the time. Was the average man in the street aware of these things (slavery)? I guess they were largely powerless to stop it.

Plenty of bad things in the world the U.K. and the west contribute to in today’s world, doesn’t mean we’re evil.

I do wonder what the average person thought about all that the time. Was the average man in the street aware of these things (slavery)? I guess they were largely powerless to stop it.

Plenty of bad things in the world the U.K. and the west contribute to in today’s world, doesn’t mean we’re evil.
Perceived by some. Not me.
The whole bloody world has evil people.

You do have to be careful applying today's values to the past. Even Darwin thought blacks were a lower species. New knowledge obviously proved him wrong, but that doesn't mean we need to vilify him for widely held views of the time.

You do have to be careful applying today's values to the past. Even Darwin thought blacks were a lower species. New knowledge obviously proved him wrong, but that doesn't mean we need to vilify him for widely held views of the time.

Complicated subject, how much of his own “research”/thought contributed to the suffering. I’d agree that we have to move away from black and white thought. As Fear or Mike had suggested. He is a good candidate for highlighting how you can be brilliant and yet ignorant too (for lack of a better word).

WW2 is another era - the racism of the allies pales in comparison to the axis. It did burn them countless times against the Japanese. FDR, Churchill et al. did some horrific stuff but it’s unquestionable which side had better moral character. Which is insane.

Indeed, our morals and values have changed considerably in just the last 50-60 years when you look at homosexuality, black footballers, Asian immigration etc.

There must’ve been lots of decent humanist-type people (even if of religious belief) who thought this was wrong, in order to force through the end of slavery. It’s a subject I don’t know that much about so perhaps I should read up on it, but I believe it was the wealthier traders who would’ve benefitted directly from this awful part of our history rather than the Average Joe.

The part I struggle with reconciling, there’s a lot of shit going on in the world which the U.K. contributes to directly or indirectly. Perhaps in centuries time our future families will look back at all the proxy wars and shit in the world where our allies bomb refugee houses for example but that’s good for profits, and wonder what we were like as normal people powerless to really stop all that. I’m getting very philosophical here…