QPR V Wigan Athletic - Saturday 22nd October 2022 @ 3pm | Vital Football

QPR V Wigan Athletic - Saturday 22nd October 2022 @ 3pm

wafcharvey

Vital Youth Team
Following Wednesday's disasterclass - We go again at QPR.

QPR top of the league (I think?) and we have a woeful record there. Team looked completely shot of confidence since the second half at Sunderland and on reflection, I think the line up and formation from Leam was very positive (Actually very similar to what I said on here I was hoping for) and the players let him down badly. I think the subs were a bit late but that's my only criticism.

Anyway, onto Saturday and this will be my first trip to QPR (Couldn't make the play off game) but whenever I think of QPR I think of play off heartbreak, Bank Holiday defeats and Loic Remy.

I think we really need to go back to basics tomorrow. Get back that industrious and solid mentality we saw up to 4/5 games ago.

I would snap your hand off for 0-0 to be honest but I think not getting tonked tomorrow and hopefully getting a point would be a positive on recent form. Lets re set and be compact and back to being hard to beat.

Would hope to see something like this (5-3-2 / 3-5-2)

Amos

Darikwa
Kerr
Whatmough
Tilt
McClean

Naylor

Power
Cousins (Or Shinnie if not match fit)

Broadhead
Magennis

I don't think there is enough pace for counter attacks with both Magennis and Keane - So Magennis takes it for me as we need an outlet as someone to get the ball upto when under the cosh. Wyke needs a rest.

I know it looks negative / uninspiring but I think it's what we really need to get that bit of bite and resilience back in to us.

PREIDCTION: QPR 2-0 Wigan

Last edited:
Same thing as every game;

Do our Joyce like negative hoof and hope tactics like we've seen against Hull, Cardiff, Sunderland and Boro and we'll get the same outcome - even if they kindly give us a goal head start.

Or if we get Broadhead in the middle to link things together, show a bit of movement, be positive and try and play a bit of football and you give yourself a chance.

At this point i'm not so much looking at the result as i am looking to see the management getting us playing to our strengths. How much does 1980's long ball have to fail us before the penny drops - we are awful at it and should stop doing it.

Richardson says he take responsibility for the fiasco mid week - but that means nothing if he doesn't do anything different to fix it. Need to see a response from coaching staff and the players.

I saw the post from Firefly which has since been deleted. Care to elaborate?

Don't be shy! @Rufus T Firefly

I must have missed that, what was that?

I saw it around lunchtime, that Firefly dude wrote something like.

"Rumours doing the rounds that the players hadn't been paid and are refusing to play tomorrow"

Its one of two things, either he's let the cat out of the bag and shouldn't then thought better of it hence the deletion in minutes or he was shit stirring, make your own mind up mate.

It looks like Tal has lost the love affair with us...any more performances like Wednesday and Talal will perhaps not be a Wiganer much longer.

"Rumours doing the rounds that the players hadn't been paid and are refusing to play tomorrow"

Its one of two things, either he's let the cat out of the bag and shouldn't then thought better of it hence the deletion in minutes or he was shit stirring, make your own mind up mate.

They get paid at months end, so clearly a load of bollocks.

Let’s hope they don’t pay McClean this month and he refuses to play (or not if going by recent games)

Same thing as every game;

Do our Joyce like negative hoof and hope tactics like we've seen against Hull, Cardiff, Sunderland and Boro and we'll get the same outcome - even if they kindly give us a goal head start.

Or if we get Broadhead in the middle to link things together, show a bit of movement, be positive and try and play a bit of football and you give yourself a chance.

At this point i'm not so much looking at the result as i am looking to see the management getting us playing to our strengths. How much does 1980's long ball have to fail us before the penny drops - we are awful at it and should stop doing it.

Richardson says he take responsibility for the fiasco mid week - but that means nothing if he doesn't do anything different to fix it. Need to see a response from coaching staff and the players.
But against Boro we didn’t do hit and hope, we actually tried to play it about more and the players were abysmal

But against Boro we didn’t do hit and hope, we actually tried to play it about more and the players were abysmal

Not sure I’d agree with that Kenny, dismal slow playing about a bit across the back line or the wide players (such as we have) checking their forward runs in order to pass it back to the half way line ….but also plenty ‘lump it long’ to no one in particular….and yes the players were abysmal, but so was much of what they were trying to play ….in my view

Not sure I’d agree with that Kenny, dismal slow playing about a bit across the back line or the wide players (such as we have) checking their forward runs in order to pass it back to the half way line ….but also plenty ‘lump it long’ to no one in particular….and yes the players were abysmal, but so was much of what they were trying to play ….in my view

Your view was bang on zeb...I know some are saying we were ok 1st half but I never got that sense...there was a stink about us from the off where we almost coughed possession up between the back 4 several times early doors. The goal proved to be a false dawn and after that it almost became a competition who could give the ball away in a Fred Karno audition.

Anyway, its QPR later and what could possibly go wrong ?

2-1 us.

No one in centre of pitch to link up play, no runners, no movement and no one showing for the ball - can't say we tried to play football if we didn't do any of that.

The couple of token sideways passes accross the keeper and back 4 before the big hoof don't really count towards playing football.

No one in centre of pitch to link up play, no runners, no movement and no one showing for the ball - can't say we tried to play football if we didn't do any of that.

The couple of token sideways passes accross the keeper and back 4 before the big hoof don't really count towards playing football.
I did say "tried" to play it about more, but it didn't work. I agree and as I said in the match thread there was hardly any movement off the ball, no runners etc. Then in the end we resorted to the aimless long ball and looked like we had no idea what we were doing. Wyke didn't win one header all night and (maybe one that went straight to a Boro player) zero movement or pace up front.