QPR away 24/08/2019. Sunshine expected | Page 5 | Vital Football

QPR away 24/08/2019. Sunshine expected

Wigan players warmed up in the shade ... QPR players warmed up in the hot sun.
Our coaching staff are on the ball methinks.
Wigan go 0-1 up after Danny Fox hits a lovely corner and Cedric scores .... crikey the away curse has been broken.
Our manager and his assistant (who is rumoured to be the one who picks the team) have kicked the players up the RS and we might actually get something here.
QPR were awful in the first half apart from their No. 10 (Eberechi Eze) who was their best player by a mile.
Our tactics are then to sit with 8 / 9 players sitting deep and inviting QPR to attack. Gawd knows what went on in the dressing room at half time. Do they discuss knitting patterns or football for 15 minutes ?
The second half was embarrassing.

I am not suggesting that the manager be sacked (yet) but I personally think that the Royles need to bring in some kind of experienced coach to assist. If he resists, then he should go on gardening leave or resign. The away performances have continued from last season. No excuses for the continued ineptitude.
As for the Royles, we could see them as clear as anything (from our corner of the away stand). They were sat alone at the front of the posh seats. Joe Royle had his head in his hands for the last goal.
Their jobs could also be on the line if the owners knew much about football.

As for the senior players .... I would strip Morsy of his captaincy. It is painful to say it but he is playing like someone who didn't get a move to a bigger club or he is simply away with the fairies.... subpar and that is being polite.
Fox ... substitute defender with the occasional start ... if QPR put out the full highlights (for free), look out for the moment where he couldn't keep up with a QPR player (early in the first half). Not long after, he had to have some treatment. Continued poor performances from him (apart from the corner).
Byrne ... a spell on the sidelines would do wonders.
Marshall .... until he proves otherwise .... useless waste of space. No wonder Scotland never win any internationals.

Unless by some miracle, a quick experienced, free agent centre back suddenly becomes available ... we need one in January.

Clap that shower of sh!t today ? .... not a chance.

Last edited:
I've stood by Cook when he's been under pressure before. At the time, we had a weak squad with little strength in depth, and were ravaged by injuries... So I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I have to take this one on the chin and admit I was wrong.

We now have a good squad with cover in every position, and only a handful of injuries. Certainly nothing like mid season last year. Yet we're awful.

This time last year I'd still have stood by Cook, with no experience at this level. But now he has a full year of it and things have actually got worse.

I'm a great believer in giving managers chances to turn things around. Continuity of managers is an important thing, with plenty evidence to support the fact that long serving managers do well.

But... time's up. The excuses have dried up and our performances haven't improved. For all I've defended Cook before, I have to admit that I was probably wrong to do so. He clearly doesn't have the guile to manage at this level, and needs to go sooner rather than later if we're going to save the season. Hobbling on with Cook in charge until Christmas will see us relegated again. We need a new manager to have time to get their feet under the table and make the very necessary changes. With the investment IEC have given us, for us to be in another relegation scrap is completely unacceptable, and I'm now convinced that Cook doesn't have the nous at this level to avoid that.

I hate to say it, but 'Cook out'.

He needs to go now rather than leaving it. If we appoint a replacement quickly they’ll have the international break to assess the squad, make decisions and whip them into shape.

Williams walked out of training yesterday and went home after being told he was not in the squad today, something not right at the club when a new signing does that.
How do you know that? Or could it be that he had injuries or was unwell. Or are you one of the players? If you had inside info then that traitor needs to be sacked from the club.

Please IEC and Darren Royle go and try and get us Chris Hughton or Gary Monk before they go elsewhere.

Not a fan of Monk, but I'd give a testicle for Chris Hughton to join us. Is Darren Moore still available? I think he did a good job and was very harshly treated by WBA... Would also be a good appointment for us.

Not a fan of Monk, but I'd give a testicle for Chris Hughton to join us. Is Darren Moore still available? I think he did a good job and was very harshly treated by WBA... Would also be a good appointment for us.

I mentioned Darren Moore last April as Cooks replacement, i reckon he would do a decent job for us, and wouldn't break the bank.

Last season's squad was in the main garbage, save for Reece James and the odd flashes from Powell and Walton. We were very lucky to survive.
This season we've spent a load of money and bought absolute mediocrity, at best.
The board have supported Cook and he's cocked it up again, this time with likely serious consequences. Enough's enough. He's got to go. He's not only seemingly lost the dressing room, he's completely lost the plot.
Nice personable guys don't always make good managers.
Mr Royle, read these comments and act without delay, otherwise you'll end up at the job centre too. These IEC lot don't take any prisoners..

I think with the right tactics/mentality this squad is capable of a mid table finish. We’re short of another centre half which needs sorting in January. They’re not world beaters but can definitely do a lot better than what we’re seeing under Cook at the moment.

I am not suggesting that the manager be sacked (yet) but I personally think that the Royles need to bring in some kind of experienced coach to assist. If he resists, then he should go on gardening leave or resign. The away performances have continued from last season.

I've heard this suggestion occasionally over the years never understand it - basically it's admitting the manager isn't good enough and hiring a second manager to to do his job while keeping him on as a pupet figure head. Does anyone believe any manager would effectively agree to having someone else effectively coming in and bascially relegating them to sitting in the corner and watching or challenge his authority? And would any decent manager agree to come in and be told you are technically in charge but have to work under Cook and maybe even give him a say - not a chance. Managers are the final say on everything - they can't share the final say - the top dog needs 100% authority over everything - him having that final say is the issue as he isn't good enough to make the right calls.

Cook has Peter Reid on his coaching staff and Joe Royle to lean on it's not access to experience that is the issue - it's his Cooks decision making and lack of ability. I'm sure Cook said at previous fans forum he has all the coaching experience he needs in the camp when asked about bringing in outside help. All managers have egos and pride and they would most likely prefer to go with the pay off than be undermined by bringing in someone do run the show for them.

If we don't think Cook is good enough you sack him - anything else isn't a realistic option.

The home form has been very good and so it must mean that the manager is getting at least 50% of the job right. The Barnsley match will be a good barometer.
I currently still think it is wrong to suggest that Mr Cook is not good enough.

What is needed is someone who is objective and not your drinking mate.
He or she looks at the preparation / training / scouting / pre & post match analysis and makes suggestions accordingly ... whether or not those are actioned is up to the people in charge.

Personally, I had a bellyful of the recent Championship years and the consistent sacking of managers. The turnover of players, staff, managers, academy direction etc etc created far more problems and solved next to nothing.
I would be very interested to see what is taught on Manchester Metropolitan University's Sporting Director MBA Course ... same old, same old or something more progressive.

On a side note ... the football style and tactics are not my cup of sideline tea. Watching Chorley when Wigan are playing away is looking more and more attractive.

I've only just watched Cook's post match comments.

He was honest, massively disappointed and took responsibility.

Isn't that what folk wanted from him?

I've only just watched Cook's post match comments.

He was honest, massively disappointed and took responsibility.

Isn't that what folk wanted from him?

Watched it myself, seems like he has almost given up on the players, not surprised, some of them are clearly playing nowhere near an acceptable level. Although if he was at his "wits end" why does he continue with the same players? Personally, I hope to see the likes of Byrne, Marshall, and Fox dropped. He is not dropping out of form players, that what ticks me off. The squad is there to be utilized now. Still only August, but these players should learn that a few shocking performances means your starting position is under scrutiny. Byrne and Fox are the two players that have performed poorly in each game this season they played.

Byrne will never be up to this level. And fox. To old past his sell buy date. Why do we think Blackburn let. Their captain go he also past his sell buy date. Trouble is Blackburn manager knew. This. That’s why they let him go

The home form has been very good and so it must mean that the manager is getting at least 50% of the job right. The Barnsley match will be a good barometer.
I currently still think it is wrong to suggest that Mr Cook is not good enough.

What is needed is someone who is objective and not your drinking mate.
He or she looks at the preparation / training / scouting / pre & post match analysis and makes suggestions accordingly ... whether or not those are actioned is up to the people in charge.

Personally, I had a bellyful of the recent Championship years and the consistent sacking of managers. The turnover of players, staff, managers, academy direction etc etc created far more problems and solved next to nothing.
I would be very interested to see what is taught on Manchester Metropolitan University's Sporting Director MBA Course ... same old, same old or something more progressive.

On a side note ... the football style and tactics are not my cup of sideline tea. Watching Chorley when Wigan are playing away is looking more and more attractive.

Think I might try Chorley myself this season when Latics are away.
Cheap entry, real ale in the club 125 bus straight outside from Horwich and back to the Crown what's not to like.