Q&A With Michael Appleton - Post Your Questions HERE! | Page 2 | Vital Football

Q&A With Michael Appleton - Post Your Questions HERE!

How much say do you have in recruitment as the manager. What is the structure at Lincoln of talent spotting and who is involved. How does your role fit in that alongside Jez George?
On this, it's probably worth listening to Jez. I can't remember whether it's on the Club's Youtube or was part of his interview with Hortin but he explains it on there.

Given the prudent financial management of the club in recent times (including the brilliant January transfer window!) Do you think in the post-Covid world that Lincoln will be in a better relative position financially compared to many other similar sized L1 clubs?

Apart from the few big spenders, do you think L1 will become a more of a 'level playing field' financially?

Have you already got any players in mind that you see as realistic targets?

Thank you (belatedly) for electing to join the Imps. How have your family adapted to your current position, are they happy?

Will you persist with playing it out from the back? Is there any evidence it is a successful strategy? Bear in mind the horror-show at Sunderland before answering. ;)

This is a bit broad but what's your routine on a matchday? What do you do in the morning? Do you speak to players individually or is it time spent with the family? What do you emphasise to players before going for a warm-up and the final few minutes to kick off. Is it about getting the players "up for it" or is it tactical discussion? Also, post match do you have a big debrief with the players or is it a few points to mull over before looking at the game the following week.

It's stuff like this that fascinates me, when I'm off to Curtis' or having a pint at 2pm, I wonder what's going on in the dressing room.

Do you think it would be a good move to transfer the dugouts to the opposite side of the ground ,so intimidating the opposition management in a more aggressive manner and creating a positive vibe as the home management and subs cross the hallowed turf towards the home dugouts. (standing ovation,EVERY TIME.)

As a corollary to that question, how useful does he think the post match fist pump actioning is in building a strong collective group unity amongst the home fans.

If the fist pump is not his bag then would he ever take a lead in the match singing and lead the chanting via megaphone,whilst standing on top of the dugouts.(a potentially monumental move for me)

All 3 options would suit me as I sit in the Co op.

Last edited:
With the likelihood that next season squads are going to be smaller and budgets very constrained will you be looking to blood some of the current very promising members of the youth squad or do you think that might be unfair on them at this stage of their careers

Do you agree that whenever possible the home strip should always be worn in away fixtures too?

In home games does the team captain have instructions on which end to choose if we win the toss? Traditionally it was the custom to attack the Stacey West in the second half ( the traditional 'home' end). Most clubs try to gain some impetus from this crowd effect in the later stages of the match.
Although it is not always exclusively for home fans these days, the fact that 617 are at that end also helps the effect. Do you agree?