PSV Eindhoven vs. Tottenham Hotspur | Page 2 | Vital Football

PSV Eindhoven vs. Tottenham Hotspur

Harry, we used to play like that a couple of years ago when we were blowing teams away 3/4/5-0.

New signings were needed, simple as that. Look at what Moura has done to the team, a bit of freshness has helped. Imagine if he wasn't in the team (along with Lamela) we really would be in trouble.

I watched Utd Juventus last night....the major difference between Juve and Utd and us for that matter is that their players were always mobile, looking to pass and move, organising the press effectively with a group of players positioned to tackle and receive out balls rather than one guy running around like a headless chicken....Utd played like us, slow ponderous predictable, giving the guy with the ball no options....Juve play like City why can't we. it has to be down to training and tactics and not just the calibre of players..

I hope we can show some of the Juve approach tonight to win the game..I agree with Ex that we are extremely unlikely to win this competition but for me I think Europa League would screw any chance of top 4 again so let's at least get to the knockout stage and see where we go from there.
Even better example was the Goons game v Leicester. The speed and passing starts from the back and therein lies our problem. We just allow too much time for the opposition to organise themselves, so much so that they're happy to let us have possession as we don't make inroads. It's a culture or philosophy issue imo and the players are set in that mould. Can't see it changing any time soon. Eriksen pulling the strings may help. Gonna be a lot of ugly wins this season. Scraping wins by one goal margin also doesn't allow the youngsters a chance to make a 10 minute appearance.

Harry, we used to play like that a couple of years ago when we were blowing teams away 3/4/5-0.

New signings were needed, simple as that. Look at what Moura has done to the team, a bit of freshness has helped. Imagine if he wasn't in the team (along with Lamela) we really would be in trouble.
Scott, that's more or less homing on another point I sort of made in my post. Our players have settled in to this ponderous mode. Moura and Lamela are the ones showing energy and guile and taking on players, but they are only ending up in cul-de-sacs because other players are not used to making runs to assist them. How many time did we see Moura run half the pitch and not a single outlet available.

If pool can reach the final last season I don't see why we can't, it's way too early in the season to be writing us off.
We are more than capable of upping our game a couple of notch, get out the group stages and anything can happen. People forget just how close we were last season, Alli and Eriksen haven't started to play the football we know they can. When they hit form you watch Harry fly.

Because we have a tougher group than last year and that is saying something. We are in THE group of death and we have key players out or off form. That's why going as far as Pool is doubtful this season.

Scott, I don’t disagree that we need more quality players but I think you have highlighted the problem that it is not so much the players as the tactics and training regimes, using Moura as an example, he chases all over the pitch trying to press the opposition but there is no support, no plan what to do if he wins the ball just a general lack of footballing intelligence.

As Critical pointed out, Arsenal have most of the same players as last season but have been taught to play in a very different way...previously strikers who looked hopeless last season are scoring on a regular basis...it has to be the coaching.

Because we have a tougher group than last year and that is saying something. We are in THE group of death and we have key players out or off form. That's why going as far as Pool is doubtful this season.
As I have said, get out of the group and anything can happen. And I don't agree that this is a tougher group than last season, what I do believe is making a difference is the effect of the WC and injuries.

We are only 3 months into the season and we already have had Lloris, Vorm, Rose, Aurier, Vertonghen, Foyth, Winks, Wanjama, Eriksen, Dembele, Alli on the treatment table and Son away at the Asian games. And I haven't included Janssen and Amos, That is a total of 13 players on the treatment table.
It is no wonder we are struggling to play the type of football we can.

No one was complaining about coaching and lack of football intelligence when we beat R Madrid and Dortmund last season, so I can only assume that these players and coaching staff have got dimmer over the summer.

As I have said, get out of the group and anything can happen. And I don't agree that this is a tougher group than last season, what I do believe is making a difference is the effect of the WC and injuries.

We are only 3 months into the season and we already have had Lloris, Vorm, Rose, Aurier, Vertonghen, Foyth, Winks, Wanjama, Eriksen, Dembele, Alli on the treatment table and Son away at the Asian games. And I haven't included Janssen and Amos, That is a total of 13 players on the treatment table.
It is no wonder we are struggling to play the type of football we can.
I forgot Lamela which makes 14

No one was complaining about coaching and lack of football intelligence when we beat R Madrid and Dortmund last season, so I can only assume that these players and coaching staff have got dimmer over the summer.
True. may be the injuries to key players in that last season's setup has taken it's toll. But that's where your squad depth comes in....the old chestnut!. Just to say that Arsenal subs were Aubmayeng (a brace) and Ramsey. They fitted in seamlessly. We relied on Llorente!. The philosophy should run throughout the squad (and used to with us).

Sorry, meant obviously.....both the games you mentioned were largely based upon defending and breaking away....Poch organised that ok but when it comes to taking the attack to the opposition and dominating the game as Juve and City do we certainly do not do that except in terms of possession stats. We can all cherry pick individual games and performances good and bad, but certainly this season, and for much of last season, our style has been ponderous and lazy interspersed with odd moments of magic...in my view it is not that we don’t have the players, although we do need reinforcements, it is that we do not have a convincing style of play which is down to Poch and his coaches.

Poch seems to equate possession with domination but most of our possession is pointless...Juve and City show how to use possession in a positive way.

No start for Lamela, he really does need to ‘managed’ then!

Tottenham
  • Lloris
  • Trippier
  • Alderweireld
  • D Sánchez
  • Davies
  • Dembélé
  • Dier
  • Lucas Moura
  • Eriksen
  • Son Heung-Min
  • Kane
Substitutes
  • 8Winks
  • 11Lamela
  • 12Wanyama
  • 13Vorm
  • 17Sissoko
  • 18Llorente
  • 24Aurier

Teams adjust or simply match up better...I honestly think we have become too predictable in our play. We are EXTREMELY easy to defend most of the time. The only time we look dangerous...is when Lamela & Lucas have been driving forward on the attack. It is simply not enough though, they will tire and no one else picks up the stick...

Defensively we have been sliding backwards with the degradation of our DMs...our back line is fine...they have no screen. Counter attacks and direct attacks flow right on through to our back line...not good.

No start for Lamela, he really does need to ‘managed’ then!

Tottenham
  • Lloris
  • Trippier
  • Alderweireld
  • D Sánchez
  • Davies
  • Dembélé
  • Dier
  • Lucas Moura
  • Eriksen
  • Son Heung-Min
  • Kane
Substitutes
  • 8Winks
  • 11Lamela
  • 12Wanyama
  • 13Vorm
  • 17Sissoko
  • 18Llorente
  • 24Aurier

Hope it works....but I for one am not happy with the line up. Why not start Lamela? Hell if it was me I would sit Kane and start Son or Lucas up top and run Eriksen, Lamela and Son/Lucas behind them.

Dembo and Eriksen could be rusty . Lamela I'm ok with not starting, he could impact later on. Winks will probably come on when Dembo is tired or crocked. Son hopefully rested and full of energy.

Good attacking line up,as Spesh says,Davies would be my only concern. Sanchez better have his thinking cap on and concentrate 100%.

Hope it works....but I for one am not happy with the line up. Why not start Lamela? Hell if it was me I would sit Kane and start Son or Lucas up top and run Eriksen, Lamela and Son/Lucas behind them.
I wouldn’t want Kane on the bench when he finds his top form.