Prince Philip , Duke of Edinburgh N/G | Page 2 | Vital Football

Prince Philip , Duke of Edinburgh N/G

It's the prescription stuff they are ingesting and plenty of it.

Road stats are as easy to employ as any other. Anyone know how old and young drivers stack up per mile driven? I'd wager that the more geriatric drivers don't venture far.

We all get car MOTs every year to check that the vehicle is fit for purpose.

Yet the more unreliable part of the process is the human behind the wheel.

I’ve always thought that we should all have to pass our driving tests every 5 years.

I’ve no doubt that will get the bad drivers off the road (who will probably include elderly and young chavs)

I’ve always thought that we should all have to pass our driving tests every 5 years.

I’ve no doubt that will get the bad drivers off the road (who will probably include elderly and young chavs)

I suspect that if we were forced to retake our tests every five years then 90%+ of people will fail. Even though we are more experienced and supposedly better drivers most people start to pick up bad habits immediately but get lucky in avoiding any major accidents.

I suspect that if we were forced to retake our tests every five years then 90%+ of people will fail. Even though we are more experienced and supposedly better drivers most people start to pick up bad habits immediately but get lucky in avoiding any major accidents.

Sounds like a good argument in favour.

I did a CBT & motorcycle test in my 50s and discovered that I knew about 10% of the Highway Code and had got used to driving with insufficient concentration and awareness. It was a useful exercise apart from the objective of acquiring a motor cycle and got me thinking.

What about a CBT like refresher every 5 years, more frequently after 70. This is not a test more a short course followed by an assessment so that really bad drivers could be required to do further training. I suspect some older drivers would decide to bow out gracefully before doing another course.

Is there are problem, or more particularly, a problem in need of a major solution? You'll catch a few who should be off the road and might have had an accident, but you will impose another layer of stressful hoop-jumping on the general population as it ages. If there clearly is a growing problem -as opposed to the occasional wrong pedal spectacular- it needs to be addressed, but do the oldies stand out further in these terms than our other favorite cohorts? Of the old people I've had close experience with in this regard, one died while still a good enough, if increasingly dyspeptic, driver, one saw the signs and quit in plenty of time, one became incapacitated (leg amputated), and the fourth -we had to hide the keys, but late 80's. Now my kids' driving, on the other hand, thank God for insurance is all I can say over the first two years.

It appears his Land Rover was emerging from a minor road , he was meant to give way and pulled out on the other driver.
A witness describes him mentioning the dazzling sun.
A clear case of driving without due care , for which any of us would face a charge.
One final thought , if the other party was a motorcyclist , chances are they would be dead.

It appears his Land Rover was emerging from a minor road , he was meant to give way and pulled out on the other driver.
A witness describes him mentioning the dazzling sun.
A clear case of driving without due care , for which any of us would face a charge.
One final thought , if the other party was a motorcyclist , chances are they would be dead.
Agree VG (shock) but absolutely no chance of DofE being charged. They'll use the sunlight as an excuse for not charging him

I had my leg crushed on my motorbike many years ago in a carbon copy of this incident. Narrowly avoided death (car coming the other way stopped just before running over my prostate body where I landed).

As a steroetype I'd say there are quite a lot of old men drivers who are too arrogant to accept when they are past it. My father in law was finally persuaded to stop by his doctor before he killed anyone, fortunately.

Agree VG (shock) but absolutely no chance of DofE being charged. They'll use the sunlight as an excuse for not charging him

I had my leg crushed on my motorbike many years ago in a carbon copy of this incident. Narrowly avoided death (car coming the other way stopped just before running over my prostate body where I landed).

As a steroetype I'd say there are quite a lot of old men drivers who are too arrogant to accept when they are past it. My father in law was finally persuaded to stop by his doctor before he killed anyone, fortunately.

In a lot of cases involving older drivers , the police are lenient , providing the license is surrendered.

ps
I ride a bike too , so I know the score

It will undoubtedly include them in the same way as it will include drivers from every age group.

How many times do we have to brake or take avoiding action due to another driver and you can see them well enough to know that they are often in the prime of life?

Similarly, how many of us think we are good drivers but, if we are honest, know that we are as likely to make a mistake as anyone else. We just hope that the consequences are not too bad.

Personally I have not been involved in an accident for nearly 30 years (fingers firmly crossed against tempting fate) but would not say I am a skilled driver. I would, however, say that I am a cautious and courteous driver who never blows his horn in anger when someone else makes a mistake.

Last edited:
As a stereotype I'd say there are quite a lot of old men drivers who are too arrogant to accept when they are past it. My father in law was finally persuaded to stop by his doctor before he killed anyone, fortunately.

You are right that there are a lot of arrogant drivers on the road but I don't think you have the age group right.

If you meant to say that some older men are too proud to accept that they can not drive anymore and therefore have to give up their independence, you may have something.

As a matter of interest, are you saying that a very elderly person was responsible in your case as well? Did it go to court and the driver have to give up their licence?

Do you really believe that somebody of his level would'nt have direct people in 'tow'?
Whether it was 'his' fault or, the other party, the security would have been following him and also be using a camera, well before the rest of us ever thought about the potential value.

As a matter of interest, are you saying that a very elderly person was responsible in your case as well? Did it go to court and the driver have to give up their licence?
No, the type of accident was the same.
Actually it was another stereotype in my case, young White Van man.

NHS saved my life.

Bad driving covers many things.
From arogance , selfish and rude , aggressive and anything else between.
It also covers people whose reactions , if not eyesight , might not be enough these days.

I hope it opens up the long overdue debate on the dangerous combination of powerful modern cars and failing, elderly drivers. We act as if driving was an inalienable right rather than a licensed activity. If we end up with large numbers of elderly people unable to get about then we should address that problem with public provision.

Pure kneejerk reaction. It was a road accident, happens all the time not just when a royal is involved. Non story lol.

I am just hoping that driverless cars become affordable before my eyesight or reactions go. Otherwise I need to save up a taxi fund.

A few older drivers I know are still fine during the day but have given up night driving as glare of headlights seems to affect them worst.

Inappropriate speed is the problem. Not speed per se.

This is right, it's not simply driving too fast that's dangerous, driving too slowly is also very dangerous.

Speed limits, and sticking to them, isn't a perfect solution. Often it is necessary (in order to be driving safely) to be traveling at a much slower speed thxn the limit. Less often but still sometimes, it is safer to be driving faster (though not excessively, only marginally) than the limit.

People sticking to speed limits is generally a good thing but there are times when someone sticking strictly to the limit can cause an accident. Drivers stuck behind can get frustrated and then try a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre. I've seen this happen often on certain roads and sometimes it has nearly resulted in disaster.

The safe thing would be to not overtake but similarly, if a line of cars build up because someone is driving at 40mph just because it is the limit but actually the conditions mean 45mph would be more appropriate, then the driver sticking dogmatically to the limit is also failing to drive safely.

Of course, people driving too fast is more common and more dangerous problem.

Last edited: