Prince Philip , Duke of Edinburgh N/G | Vital Football

Prince Philip , Duke of Edinburgh N/G

Didn't even need to go to hospital. Other driver unhurt.

Story on yesterday's Kent Online of the biker who killed himself doing between 131-145 mph at Stockbury, also endangering the lives of other road users. He was 31.

Speed is and always will be the biggest killer. Trying to get from Place A to Place B is not.

Mind you, it is not as though Phil the Greek could not afford a chaffeur.

Other driver suffered a broken arm.

There are quite a few 100 + year olds holding current driving licences!

Wonder if the palace will get one of those official letters from the local constabulary asking him to attend court?

I was born and left Norfolk at 18 and know the road well. It’s a really speedy one .... my wife always was amazed how badly some drivers drive up there.

I hope it opens up the long overdue debate on the dangerous combination of powerful modern cars and failing, elderly drivers. We act as if driving was an inalienable right rather than a licensed activity. If we end up with large numbers of elderly people unable to get about then we should address that problem with public provision.

Doesn't matter what age you are. There are too many chavs driving that think they have an inalienable right to make a turn without being able to see what they are turning into. Those also that drive at a too fast speed, assuming its other people that have to get out of their way. etc.,etc.

I've not seen much about the ladies in the "other" car ... (plus baby in back seat?..). I suppose they're not so newsworthy

Doesn't matter what age you are. There are too many chavs driving that think they have an inalienable right to make a turn without being able to see what they are turning into. Those also that drive at a too fast speed, assuming its other people that have to get out of their way. etc.,etc.

And there are "chavs", who drive perfectly well and elderly people, who drive dangerously without intent. It's not about morality, driving is a complex task that requires a clear head, good reactions and concentration. We decline in all those areas as we age.

And there are "chavs", who drive perfectly well and elderly people, who drive dangerously without intent. It's not about morality, driving is a complex task that requires a clear head, good reactions and concentration. We decline in all those areas as we age.

I am merely suggesting that AGE is not the defining factor. Younger, arrogant people are well capable of being irresponsible. It is a frame of mind.

The eyesight checks that are already required are a good idea, but not the requirement to take a new test.

The highest premiums charged by insurance companies are for young drivers that have only just passed the test, often at the first attempt. Supreme confidence without sufficient road experience or courtesy.

From that BBC report.

"
In November 2018, there were 5.3 million over-70s with full driving licences in Britain, according to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

There were 11,245 people involved in road traffic accidents where the driver was in that age group - a rate of two per 1,000 licence holders.

For Britain's 2.8 million drivers aged 17 to 24, the rate was more than four times as high, at nine per 1,000