Preston North End v Aston Villa, Sat 29th Dec 3pm | Page 17 | Vital Football

Preston North End v Aston Villa, Sat 29th Dec 3pm

DJ put in another cracking performance. It was obvious on the few occasions he was visible when he was with us what he'd got. Great thing about Smith he is way above the crap managers we've suffered under for the last decade or beyond.
Criminal he was tossed aside for absolute peanuts

Again and again - due to injuries the defensive line-up is a problem but no sign of any of the younger guys getting a look in. Just wrong really.

I remember thinking at the time that 50k was nowhere near enough for him as he'd been on loan at Preston and was doing really well, albeit in league 1. Unfortunately Lambert had zero intrest in any young villa players.

Coming back from injury or not I would have played Barney from the start then if needed put Whelan on towards the end.
Always play your best team from the start and get well ahead of the opposition.

Agree. My issue with Whelan (and I know I bang on about it) is he likes to play in front of the back four and clearing up when a player gets through. It’s the safe option for a manager as it means if McGinn or Grealish or whoever is slacking then someone can clear up.

But I think it hinders the high press mentality, as I want a central midfield who goes toe-to-toe with a man. If he played higher up the pitch then McGinn or Grealish can press higher with the lone striker.

I wouldn’t mind Whelan in that position if he could spread 30-40 yard balls to our wide men, but his first touch isn’t good enough nor does he have the speed to get on the ball with no one around him to then pick the pass. He’s not a bad passer of the ball but it’s a sideways ball. Let’s get a player in there who can pass, i don’t believe we need the Whelan type of player except for a few games per season.

Last edited:
Silhill you really need to let this go.

It was years ago, years. Water under the bridge. Plenty of negligent acts have been committed by Villa managers in the intervening period.

Seriously mate, let it go. It can't be good for you.

Silhill you really need to let this go.

It was years ago, years. Water under the bridge. Plenty of negligent acts have been committed by Villa managers in the intervening period.

Seriously mate, let it go. It can't be good for you.
Haha you're right. It really sticks in my craw .
Good youngsters developed and cast aside whilst spunking millions on shit like Al Ahmadi, Tonev, Sylla, Sanchez, J2Makoun, that twat from reading , bacuna, etc etc etc . Nzogbia ffs !!

Again and again - due to injuries the defensive line-up is a problem but no sign of any of the younger guys getting a look in. Just wrong really.

Problem is Suleiman and Clark are out on loan, and Revan's barely 18 and only on the bench because we've nobody else.

It appears Suleiman is coming back because he can't get a game on loan. Haven't the faintest if he's good enough, although he did OK as England youth captain.

Wonder if Clark might come back. If we can't get in a proven left back then he may be the best option.

Sulliman is a boy from what I've seen of him, not tough enough or strong enough but he could develop into the ball playing CB Smith will need to play from the back . Just not yet

Clark is actually right footed as well, though he's certainly much better on his left than Hutton (no offence to Hutton). He's bloody quick as well which helps. He's had good experience at port vale and from what I've seen of him already I'd have no problem with him starting at left back.

I read this thread and see that many people want changes to personnel after they have watched the game - always makes me chuckle.

May I remind everyone that we won the old League Title fielding 13? players. I think the criticism of certain players isn't necessarily justified. I remember people calling for Elmo to come in at RB to oust Taylor from LB. Someone moans about Hourihanes assists being from free kicks and corners, well I remember when we couldn't get a cross passed the first defender.

We are a championship team with mostly championship level players. Consistency and understanding between players is critical to success, so why are people suggesting we change half the team every week. That was Bruce's MO and look how that worked out for us. Leave it to Deano, support the team (good and bad) and accept that this will be a roller coaster ride. It's not like we have been ripping up trees over the previous 10 years. Be patient and it will come good in the end.

Yes I would like to see youth getting a chance, but the coaches either don't wish to expose them or think they are not ready. We have the feel good factor back at the club, let's enjoy!

I read this thread and see that many people want changes to personnel after they have watched the game - always makes me chuckle.

May I remind everyone that we won the old League Title fielding 13? players. I think the criticism of certain players isn't necessarily justified. I remember people calling for Elmo to come in at RB to oust Taylor from LB. Someone moans about Hourihanes assists being from free kicks and corners, well I remember when we couldn't get a cross passed the first defender.

We are a championship team with mostly championship level players. Consistency and understanding between players is critical to success, so why are people suggesting we change half the team every week. That was Bruce's MO and look how that worked out for us. Leave it to Deano, support the team (good and bad) and accept that this will be a roller coaster ride. It's not like we have been ripping up trees over the previous 10 years. Be patient and it will come good in the end.

Yes I would like to see youth getting a chance, but the coaches either don't wish to expose them or think they are not ready. We have the feel good factor back at the club, let's enjoy!

I was going to make the same point with regard to Conor H. but it just seems he is one of those players that attracts criticism regardless of how he plays.
He gets to do the dirty work in the midfield, the fetching and carrying, the stuff that every team needs doing.
The difference is he also contributes with goals and assists.
His lack of pace is a problem at times but overall he adds something although I accept hes not everyones cup of tea.

I was going to make the same point with regard to Conor H. but it just seems he is one of those players that attracts criticism regardless of how he plays.
He gets to do the dirty work in the midfield, the fetching and carrying, the stuff that every team needs doing.
The difference is he also contributes with goals and assists.
His lack of pace is a problem at times but overall he adds something although I accept hes not everyones cup of tea.

I saw a stat that he has been involved in more goals (scored and assisted) in the Champ than anyone else since he joined us in January 2017.

I will take that, thank you very much. I for one would rather have had his contribution than not, that's for sure.

He's Ok in the deeper midfield role that he's played in mostly under smith but when he's pushed further up his limitations become more obvious. His set play delivery and goals make him a worthwhile player to have around but its no good trying to rely on him to create things or be involved the way Jack is. We need to get some kind of back up for Jack this window if Smith doesn't think O'Hare is up to being in the 1st team.

I wasn't moaning about Hourihane I was just stating or trying to point out that his assists are hardly even a cross or a pass just corners and free kicks he hogs them, he even kicks off because he gets anoth touch to his name FFS. All I ever hear about him is "Stats", not one person says what a good player he is because of his ability, they use stats to "prove" he is better than John McGinn and Jack Grealish, I think the metrics need changing if stats prove things that , which are clearly not true .

and it was 14 players