Premier League Match Thread: Newcastle United Vs Nottingham Forest, sponsored by the PGMOL appeals panel | Page 29 | Vital Football

Premier League Match Thread: Newcastle United Vs Nottingham Forest, sponsored by the PGMOL appeals panel

Honestly I'm delighted and I'm fully behind Nuno

Nice to feel positive again

I'm also realistic so won't be on his case as fast as others will be on here when we get bad results

But there's no denying Newcastle were horrendous yesterday. We've never seen our midfielders find so much space as yesterday

Aina and Murillo were making long runs from the back whereas they would have lost the ball in similar positions and be pilloried recently

Fans will be on their case again immediately what worked yesterday fails in the future

MGW was superb. Again he will get the abuse from fans when we don't win soon enough

I'm honestly not sure how much of Newcastle being shite was down to us

If our midfield had given the opposition the space they gave us yesterday we would all be going absolute apeshit on here

Think we gained confidence as we realised Newcastle weren't all that

Man U a much bigger test.

Should be great atmosphere from both sets of fans

So yes I'm very happy and very positive

But I'm not blind to how bad Newcastle were

If we make Man U look HALF as shite as Newcastle just looked or we just get half the space on the ball v them that we got yesterday I will be doubly delighted

The pundits at the game seemed in a state of shock after the game about what happened

And I kind of feel the same

Not complaining though

And now we should have gained some confidence and momentum ourselves

I doubt we get that much space to exploit again all season tbh
So, apologies for being visceral here, essentially, you're saying our midfield and attack are shite (given how "awful" Newcastle were) and it was Newcastle's inadequacies - not the tactical acumen that Nuno detailed post-match - that lead to the victory?

If so, is it hard to accept that our players are not actually that bad, when coached and motivated correctly?
Difficult to accept that with the right tactical setup, with clear and concise instructions they're greater than the sum of their parts?
Tricky to agree with, being permitted to play with freedom and verve allows the team to play front-foot, joyful, expressive and effective offensive soccer?

Try not to look for things that you probably don't full appreciate (given none of us are involved with professional elite level football), and accept the clear progression and elevation that Super NES has delivered in two games.

You Reds!

We got lucky a bit playing from the back, I must say but we put in a great performance. It should be said that NES has won at SJP with Spurs, Wolves and us so he knows how to get a win there

Honestly I'm delighted and I'm fully behind Nuno

Nice to feel positive again

I'm also realistic so won't be on his case as fast as others will be on here when we get bad results

But there's no denying Newcastle were horrendous yesterday. We've never seen our midfielders find so much space as yesterday

Aina and Murillo were making long runs from the back whereas they would have lost the ball in similar positions and be pilloried recently

Fans will be on their case again immediately what worked yesterday fails in the future

MGW was superb. Again he will get the abuse from fans when we don't win soon enough

I'm honestly not sure how much of Newcastle being shite was down to us

If our midfield had given the opposition the space they gave us yesterday we would all be going absolute apeshit on here

Think we gained confidence as we realised Newcastle weren't all that

Man U a much bigger test.

Should be great atmosphere from both sets of fans

So yes I'm very happy and very positive

But I'm not blind to how bad Newcastle were

If we make Man U look HALF as shite as Newcastle just looked or we just get half the space on the ball v them that we got yesterday I will be doubly delighted

The pundits at the game seemed in a state of shock after the game about what happened

And I kind of feel the same

Not complaining though

And now we should have gained some confidence and momentum ourselves

I doubt we get that much space to exploit again all season tbh

Obviously I saw it once but after a coffee and fag to think about It, I still think they weren't giving us space, we just fooking bossed them in midfield. Pulling mgw back a little bit and cho and elanga offering lots of movement and support opened them up and completely disrupted their game.

Whereas before midfield was the place where we gave the ball away, we found a way to play through.

I do think we are pretty reliant on mgw but baby steps eh.

But if there are six changes of starters, and Aina and Worrall back, that is a radical change. As was playing further forward
I did not think we played that much further forward; the main difference was MGW dropping much deeper to pick up the ball.

All of our goals, and most of the missed chances, emanated from inside our defensive third of the pitch

So, apologies for being visceral here, essentially, you're saying our midfield and attack are shite (given how "awful" Newcastle were) and it was Newcastle's inadequacies - not the tactical acumen that Nuno detailed post-match - that lead to the victory?

If so, is it hard to accept that our players are not actually that bad, when coached and motivated correctly?
Difficult to accept that with the right tactical setup, with clear and concise instructions they're greater than the sum of their parts?
Tricky to agree with, being permitted to play with freedom and verve allows the team to play front-foot, joyful, expressive and effective offensive soccer?

Try not to look for things that you probably don't full appreciate (given none of us are involved with professional elite level football), and accept the clear progression and elevation that Super NES has delivered in two games.

You Reds!
No essentially I said Newcastle were shite

We started shite ourselves but visibly improved as we gained confidence from realising they weren't that great after all

Like I say I'm not going overboard. Equally I won't go overboard when we lose either.

Like some will on here

Very positive. But I'm not convinced a magic wand has made everything become that easy overnight

Last edited:
No essentially I said Newcastle were shite

We started shite ourselves but visibly improved as we gained confidence from realising they weren't that great after all

Like I say I'm not going overboard. Equally I won't go overboard when we lose either.

Like some will on here

Very positive. But I'm not convinced a magic wand has made everything become that easy overnight
When do events become a pattern, and when does a pattern become the norm?

Two games now where there are clear and inarguable improvements, with this sea change owned entirely by one individual.

But, yeah, the team is shite...haha.

Two games now where there are clear and inarguable improvements, with this sea change owned entirely by one individual.

The team is not shite.

The squad is made up of a lot of decent, albeit inconsistent players, a few that probanly shouldn't be here (or at least shouldn't expect tp start an awful lot of games), two awful goalkeepers and an awful striker who has turned into the best in Europe overnight now that Cooper has gone.

That's right, sometimes all it needs is someone looking at the problem in a different way.

You can get bogged down with a problem or problems in any sphere; getting a fresh pair of eyes to look at those issues often highlights things that were in plane sight all along.

Apart from changes in the team I did not see any radical changes in our set up in either of Nuno's two games, to Coopers set up.

The big problem Cooper faced was some of the players were clearly not playing for him; not all of them, but you only need a few not putting it in and the wheels come off.
MGW comments after the game were telling...nd this from a player that was supposed to be one if Coopers babies...

The team is not shite.

The squad is made up of a lot of decent, albeit inconsistent players, a few that probanly shouldn't be here (or at least shouldn't expect tp start an awful lot of games), two awful goalkeepers and an awful striker who has turned into the best in Europe overnight now that Cooper has gone.
Yeah, the team is clearly not shite.

Its others who are suggesting as such, meaning the only reason the victory occurred was Newcastle being even worse than shite.
In spite of their record at home...in spite of playing at home.

Given they were shite, the Forest team has a natural shitey level.
Quod
Erat
Demonstrandum

You can't say anything about the Bournemouth game that has any value. And we lost.

I want Nuno to do well.

But you are either naieve or just disingenuous to claim a manager has revolutionised anything after two games.

The new manager bounce is a well known phenomenon and we have not even seen if we've had one yet in terms of results.

He's had 2 games, there are 19 to go. If any improvements are sustained after 10 games it will be a good sign, after 15-19 you can start hailing him as the Messiah until you start pining for the next messsiah

MGW comments after the game were telling...nd this from a player that was supposed to be one if Coopers babies...
How long will it be before you decide you don't like this manager?

Can we have a checklist of your demands please?

Perhaps you could break it down for us into categories

Specific type of football played

Specific results/ points/ wins required over X number of games

Number of shots on target

% possession, particularly at home

Interview technique

Specific players you require to be playing and to what standard

Anything else?

Or shall we admit that you'll just claim that all of these are to your satisfaction until you suddenly decide they are not?

You can't say anything about the Bournemouth game that has any value. And we lost.

I want Nuno to do well.

But you are either naieve or just disingenuous to claim a manager has revolutionised anything after two games.

The new manager bounce is a well known phenomenon and we have not even seen if we've had one yet in terms of results.

He's had 2 games, there are 19 to go. If any improvements are sustained after 10 games it will be a good sign, after 15-19 you can start hailing him as the Messiah until you start pining for the next messsiah
Definitely can claim some YUGE positives during the bournemouth game, buddy.

Won't bother listing them here, as it may go over your head, but, trust me, there were massive strides.

When SNES has us 10th after the next 10/12 games we'll return to this post and toast my awesome football knowledge, and have a chuckle and a cigar.

How long will it be before you decide you don't like this manager?

Can we have a checklist of your demands please?

Perhaps you could break it down for us into categories

Specific type of football played

Specific results/ points/ wins required over X number of games

Number of shots on target

% possession, particularly at home

Interview technique

Specific players you require to be playing and to what standard

Anything else?

Or shall we admit that you'll just claim that all of these are to your satisfaction until you suddenly decide they are not?
I'd suggest, not looking like a hopeless sub-standard EPL team, for a start?

It’s no coincidence that MGW has had his 2 best games in an age after slotting into a more central role. It baffled me that Coops was persevering with him in a wider role where he is a lot less effective. When he turns and runs forward aggressively like yesterday and when he was tearing it up in the Championship with the Blades he‘a a joy to watch. This switch alone I feel has contributed to our better performances under Nuno.