Predictions & Match Thread: England v Croatia | Page 6 | Vital Football

Predictions & Match Thread: England v Croatia

What irks me a little is, when England are playing, and generally, clearly not everyone, but generally, the Welsh, Scots and to a slightly less extent the Irish always want us to lose, regardless of who we are playing. The English generally support Wales, Scotland and Ireland when we aren’t playing - or is it ‘just’ me ?
i dont particularly support the other British teams. Sometimes it's very funny when Scotland do so badly. And I don't take offense when they don't support England. If we are supposed to support all the British teams then we really ought to just have one team.

England didn't beat anyone unexpected. They were handed the easiest draw they could ever imagine. And by and large only scored set pieces. I like Gareth Southgate And think this England team have a bit of potential for the future.... but I'm a bit perplexed by the massively positive reaction. Lincoln are arguably a better team than Panama. We scraped past Tunisia. We needed penalties to beat a pretty disappointing Columbia who didn't have their star player. Yes..We were very comfortable against Sweden, but so we should be. Croatia, second half onwards were vastly superior. Harry Kane will win the Golden Boot with the most bang average world cup performance ever..... okay im miserable. I've written this here because if I tell my friends this i will be treated like the person who told the kids santas not real.
My feelings exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is everyone underestimating how well we did? Colombia not a good side? Are you kidding me!!! Any team with Falcao, Cuadrado and Quintero going at you will be difficult to beat.

(A side note, Portugal won only 1 game in normal time in 2016 Euros, Croatia have gone to extra

Everyone is not doing that. The vast majority of people agree with you that England did fantastically well. I'm clearly in a minority thinking we only performed to expectations ...and no more. I put it down to the lamentable performances in the last decade that have set the bar so ridiculously low.

We have the most watched football league in the world, we have a far bigger population than the likes of Croatia and Sweden. Our players are valued considerably more than Sweden's and to a lesser extent Croatia. So yes, expecting to beat them was reasonable I think.

And to those not supporting England.

Of course your anti England comments aren’t going to be welcome. How do you react to Mansfield/Grimsby fans commenting on Imps posts? Is it not a similar situation?

It ma be more prudent for you not to comment and hold your opinion, or at least word your posts better.
I couldn't care less if you welcome any comments I may have or not. You certainly won't be stopping me from posting.
It's a fans forum and everyone is entitled to say what they want. If you don't like it tough - grow up FFS.
It may come as a surprise to you but not everyone falls for the media hype surrounding England. Some of us can see past the BS.
As for Mansfield / Grimsby fans commenting on Imps posts, who the hell cares ? My club is Lincoln City. We all have our own teams and as long as we are heading in the right direction I really don't care about other clubs fans comments.

What irks me a little is, when England are playing, and generally, clearly not everyone, but generally, the Welsh, Scots and to a slightly less extent the Irish always want us to lose, regardless of who we are playing. The English generally support Wales, Scotland and Ireland when we aren’t playing - or is it ‘just’ me ?
England is the dominant nation and rarely uses that domination in a benign or beneficial way

Everyone is not doing that. The vast majority of people agree with you that England did fantastically well. I'm clearly in a minority thinking we only performed to expectations ...and no more. I put it down to the lamentable performances in the last decade that have set the bar so ridiculously low.

We have the most watched football league in the world, we have a far bigger population than the likes of Croatia and Sweden. Our players are valued considerably more than Sweden's and to a lesser extent Croatia. So yes, expecting to beat them was reasonable I think.
No, the Croatia players include some genuine world stars. Ours in the main are bit part players at their clubs, at second rate clubs or at the start of their careers.

Nope, not just you!!

I was once the token Englishman at a meal in Edinburgh with 10 Scotsmen who merrily told me that to a man that after Scotland, they would always support the other Home Nations, and then any team that was playing against England. Interestingly, they didn't quite know why they hated England so much, but were going to continue to until they died.

I was once the token Englishman at a meal in Edinburgh with 10 Scotsmen who merrily told me that to a man that after Scotland, they would always support the other Home Nations, and then any team that was playing against England. Interestingly, they didn't quite know why they hated England so much, but were going to continue to until they died.
And most Scots hate it if any English support them as they see it as patronising. Which it is.

No, the Croatia players include some genuine world stars. Ours in the main are bit part players at their clubs, at second rate clubs or at the start of their careers.

Sorry but nonsense. Kane Stirling Ali Pickford are also some genuine world stars. Englands squad was valued the 4th most expensive at the start of the world cup... Croatia 11th, Sweden near the bottom.

I couldn't care less if you welcome any comments I may have or not. You certainly won't be stopping me from posting.
It's a fans forum and everyone is entitled to say what they want. If you don't like it tough - grow up FFS.
It may come as a surprise to you but not everyone falls for the media hype surrounding England. Some of us can see past the BS.
As for Mansfield / Grimsby fans commenting on Imps posts, who the hell cares ? My club is Lincoln City. We all have our own teams and as long as we are heading in the right direction I really don't care about other clubs fans comments.
Would you like me to point out all the mistakes, flaws and idiocy in this or just let it go?

Sorry but nonsense. Kane Stirling Ali Pickford are also some genuine world stars. Englands squad was valued the 4th most expensive at the start of the world cup... Croatia 11th, Sweden near the bottom.
We’ll agree to disagree. Those stats prove nothing, for example how much would Stirling realistically fetch now? Pickford and Alli have promise but are still learning, Kane’s a top player but at a second rate club at best compared to the Real Madrids, Barcelonas etc. The problem is the Premier League open door policy hinders the best English players from reaching their full potential. Hopefully that may change now, albeit probably not enough.

Personally I don't care if the Scots, Welsh and Irish love it when we lose because I reciprocate it! I have good friends who Scottish and Welsh but I absolutely love it when they lose at sport just as they love it when we lose.

It doesn't mean I hate them it just means that they are our sporting rivals!

Anyway so while I was disappointed, we actually got to a World Cup Semi-Final so bravo to us! It doesn't matter who we played we exceeded everyone's expectations :clap:.

Scotland, Wales and Ireland weren't even there so realistically how can they gloat or mock us :lol:

Last edited: