Pre-Season Friendlies | Page 8 | Vital Football

Pre-Season Friendlies

I think Thelo needs to bulk up a bit before he's ready for a regular spot..... not sure if you've seen him live on pitch in these friendlies YM but when i saw him in the Liverpool game n he looked to me like he'd bulked up a fair bit.....as a caveat to that tho YM, at my age the eyesight isn't as good as it used to be😉
I thought he has too not half filled out

I have watched three of the pre -season games and seen us play plenty decent stuff. We seem to have a solid and United squad with some Championship experience and some talent that might just shine this season.

Not sure what some people are expecting from pre-season, it’s a bonding exercise to work on plans and formations, isn’t it?

As far as signings are concerned, I think we look strong at the back and we have goals all across the frontline at any level. But I am looking forward to seeing our midfielders step up, because, I believe, we have real talent there.

Am I right in thinking the transfer window closes at the end of August? So we still have time if things aren’t exactly going to plan.

And we beat Bolton - so it’s not been a bad unbeaten pre-season 😁
Goals all across the frontline at any level? We’re about to go into the second tier with a striker starring who has scored about 15 goals in 150 Championship games (I can’t be arsed checking his actual record). You are in for a huge shock in terms of our goal tally this season.

Goals all across the frontline at any level? We’re about to go into the second tier with a striker starring who has scored about 15 goals in 150 Championship games (I can’t be arsed checking his actual record). You are in for a huge shock in terms of our goal tally this season.
So what position are you playing this coming season?

Surely this is the season for Aasgaard to step up. He has all the attributes of a top player and with his potential physicality now developing he should be given a chance as hes too good a player to be on the bench every week. Without doubt the player with the greatest potential at the club

If we are playing the CAM position this season, it's a toss up between him & McGrath in that role, & basically we have 2 players for that position. Will they both feature regularly is a totally different question mind you. For the record, I'd have Keane up top with Wyke perhaps.

Last edited:
Keane wouldn't suit playing up top on his own as has shown throughout his career.
He can't do the physical stuff Wyke and Magennis do.
I was watching some of our goals from last season recently. 2 that stood out were Wykes 1st at Accrington and Langs winner at Plymouth.
Both came from a killer pass from Keane to completely wrong foot the opposition and put our players through on goal.
That for me is his best position. Not quite a striker not quite a midfielder.
Of course he can only do this if we play on the floor rather than hoofing it.

He's more of a number 10 IMO! Or as I used to call it, "The Beardsley Role."

Hopefully it’ll be a nice surprise for both of us. But I am sure it won’t be enough for you 😁

If we are playing with a back four I think we need a right winger, not sure if Lang is the right person for that role.

Also it wouldn't surprise me if at some point during the season, Lang and Keane end up as subs, rather than regular starters.

I think last season wing backs worked much better for us and we ended up using it more out of necessity as the season went on as it created more goals. But I think Richardson prefers 4-2-3-1 and that is how we'll start the season based on preseason.

Our grind it out style of play we often used could be a bit jarring when we were the favourites every week with far better players, but this season being underdogs with one of the weaker sides it may be better suited. I think our blueprint is probably something like Ismael's Barnsley from a few years ago. A side that disrupts and drags more talented opposition into battling football they don't want to be in.