Pre-Season Friendlies | Page 6 | Vital Football

Pre-Season Friendlies

That is a haunt of mine Zakky, stayed in ballinamallard lots of times, we used rent the white bungalow straight facing the entrance to the football ground many years ago then a house further into town near the church on Main Street, what are you doing there ?

Staying with my sister in law. My wife has just lost her youngest brother and her mother inside 4 weeks
Her brother bought some land and built their own place 3 years ago it's a lovely place in the countryside.

Staying with my sister in law. My wife has just lost her youngest brother and her mother inside 4 weeks
Her brother bought some land and built their own place 3 years ago it's a lovely place in the countryside.

Sorry to hear that,
my usual place to stay for many years was and when I still go Mahons Hotel in Irvinestown which is a couple of miles from where you are, been going there over 30 years, lovely part of the world.

Sorry to hear that,
my usual place to stay for many years was and when I still go Mahons Hotel in Irvinestown which is a couple of miles from where you are, been going there over 30 years, lovely part of the world.

Yes we had a lovey day at Mullagmore on Thursday and having lunch on Loch Earne tomorrow and Killybeg and Donegal on Monday .

Ps defo be home for Preston lol

Perhaps spoke a bit too soon - looking a lot more comfortable on the ball following the nervy opening 15.

I think we’re at our best when we keep it on the ground and pass and move. McClean showing he’s still got it, I would probably prefer Shinnie in over Maxy.

Keane looks shattered or just not match fit, magennis poor, midfield average, but Bennett, McLean, and Whatmough been very good, Whatmough is going to be so vital for us

Yes we had a lovey day at Mullagmore on Thursday and having lunch on Loch Earne tomorrow and Killybeg and Donegal on Monday .

Ps defo be home for Preston lol

Killybegs is nice, love watching the fishing boats come and go, when i say boats you may see some very big factory trawlers, if you get a chance and a nice day go to Lough Navar forest and the viewpoint at the Cliffs of Mahgo, I promise you you will not be disappointed.

Other than his goal contribution, I really don't see what Keane brings to the team if I'm being honest 🤔
All the goals he scores are strikers goals too IMO, I honestly think it’s much more worth it if we played Keane as a striker with an actual attacking midfielder behind who actually aims to get the ball, as he does not do that which always leads to a huge gap in the pitch.

Gents, why, oh why, oh why do people extrapolate the likelihood of a season long poor performance on a dire twenty minute spell of play in a pre-season friendly?

It really makes no sense.

(That would have been correct (see other thread title) regardless of the result of this game.)

;)

Awful 10mins but then we grew into the game and were worthy winners but 4-1 flattered us.
Was an improvement on last year's results so a step in the right direction.
I thought Bannan was the best player on the pitch followed by McClean.

Awful 10mins but then we grew into the game and were worthy winners but 4-1 flattered us.
Was an improvement on last year's results so a step in the right direction.
I thought Bannan was the best player on the pitch followed by McClean.

Agreed. If we had had Bannon we could have scored about 8.

Gents, why, oh why, oh why do people extrapolate the likelihood of a season long poor performance on a dire twenty minute spell of play in a pre-season friendly?

It really makes no sense.

(That would have been correct (see other thread title) regardless of the result of this game.)

;)
Love your optimism Mooney, but I remain seriously concerned that this squad is going to struggle in the Championship. I desperately hope I’m wrong.

We struggled with their high press for the first 10-15 minutes and conceded a soft goal, after that it was a pretty even game although we took our chances and they didn't. It really was a typical pre-season game with no heavy challenges and players not wishing to get injured.

After the first 15 minutes we started to get our passing game together and took control. The first goal was a direct result of us putting their back line under pressure and a loose pass left James Mac with a simple tap in. Naylors goal came from a well executed corner routine with him coming in from the back to nod home. McClean provided the cross to assist Magennis and a really good run and low cross down the right wing by Stephen Humphreys from a throw in laid the ball on a plate for Thelo to slide home after both players had just come on.

In all honesty if I were a Wednesday fan I would be disappointed with defence and the result as going forward they looked very good. Watching Barry Bannon play reminds me very much of our own "jog along" Jordi. He finds so much time and space on the pitch and is always available to receive the ball and start the plays, how I wish we had a player like him in the team.

Windass received a hearty welcome from the home fans and was loudly booed and ridiculed every time he was on the ball. He doesn't seem to have improved since he left us and looks very much like L1 is his level.

Not a game for those that want a full bloodied, cut and thrust, all out encounter, but nevertheless for those of us who are simply looking to see some progress it was a decent watch. MoM for me was Whatmough, who never looked under pressure all game, closely followed by James McClean who regardless of it being a friendly still puts in 100% effort.

For me it has been a decent pre-season with the squad getting plenty of minutes in and although some will say the opposition has been weak and poor, we are unbeaten and go into the opening league fixture in high spirits.

Pre season friendly nothing else. Only thing you can take from today is that’s his staring line up for next week when we put them under any pressure Sheff Wed back four. We’re garbage.

They were John and yet their two centre backs were the ones that were keeping Curtis Tilt out at Rotherham.

Tilt, by the way, was decent today.

I'm not sure that that will be the starting line up though.

They were John and yet their two centre backs were the ones that were keeping Curtis Tilt out at Rotherham.

Tilt, by the way, was decent today.

I'm not sure that that will be the starting line up though.
It shouldn't be. Humphs needs to start up top with Wyke or McGuiness or Lang or Keane.
Bury the shite 4-2-3-1 once and for all.