Pre-Season/CL Qualifiers 15/16 | Page 2 | Vital Football

Pre-Season/CL Qualifiers 15/16

Yeah, first time we've had a really good look at him and now we can see why we signed him. I like his versatility as well. He's clearly capable of playing further upfield, possibly even in a wide position but is also comfortable breaking forward from the deeper CM role. Very good skill and ability over the ball!

Boyata has some pace btw! Did you see him track back after the corner?

Agree with the commentators, strange to make changes just before HT. Nesbitt and Fisher on, Lustig and Armstrong are off.

It's a live one, Tic. Our passing has been terrific. I expect more goals in the second half if the subs connect like the starting squad. Lots of love up the left side. We should be able to shift over that way and get more shots.

Good opening 45 from us. GMS is a class above. Rogic looks an entirely different player! They've clearly let his talented twin brother out of the basement... :emoticon:17

my feed in this second half has been very jumpy so far so not sure what's been happening. Was Fasan forced into a save from their free-kick or not?

I'm back on a good feed!

What a tackle from Fisher, SUPERB hard and fair challenge!

Looks like Boerigter is going to join us. GMS will be going off then. Henderson surely won't have to put up with any more of these hard challenges for much longer!

OK, so after 8 subs I think we look like this:

Fasan
Fisher - O'Connell - Findlay - Waters
Lindsay - Thomson
McMullan - Nesbitt - Boerrigter
Duffy

Really pleased with how Fisher is playing so far. He's a good RB and is showing he is capable of playing in this first team, at the very least in the SPFL.

wee_od_88 - 1/7/2015 21:03

Really pleased with how Fisher is playing so far. He's a good RB and is showing he is capable of playing in this first team, at the very least in the SPFL.

He's done pretty well but he's not really being tested by this limited lot.

TicV"Establishment" - 1/7/2015 21:08

wee_od_88 - 1/7/2015 21:03

He's done pretty well but he's not really being tested by this limited lot.

True but I think he's showing he's capable of playing against better opposition!

Boerrigter was nearly back on the treatment table after that challenge on him!

I think it's fair to say that our development squad is at about the same level as this lot! That's actually not bad considering the average age on the pitch right now is probably about 18 or 19. Boerrigter throws that out a bit. It's a young team on the pitch right now!

I didn't realise we had any subs left but on comes McManus for Nesbitt. Nesbitt was struggling with an injury a little so that might the reasoning.

You have to think this is an opportunity for Boerrigter to try and attract interest from other clubs......he's not done much yet but it might be enough for someone to take a chance on him. I reckon he'll head back to Holland.

Well, that was a pretty good win this evening. Some really good play at times, not like our usual pre-season games of the past which have been quite slow and laboured. The players went out there and played like it was a regular season game.

Rogic looked very good, can't wait to see more of him this season! Fingers crossed for the lad!
GMS was outstanding! He could be a real difference maker in Europe for us!
Boyata looks good, comfortable on the ball, big and imposing and he's got pace!
Tierney looks a real talent. Need to be careful when we play him though, he's not as good at the defending as the likes of Waters but his pace going forward and his attacking instincts are very impressive!
I thought Donnelly was quite impressive too!

As for the subs:
Fisher looked raring to go.
O'Connell looked decent enough, he needs game time after being out most of last season.
Waters reads the game well, you can see that. He made one error when he tried to header the ball clear and it went straight to a Den Bosch player but other than that fairly solid.
Thomson looks a good player.
Lindsay seemed quite defensive and needs to maybe work on his passing but very solid.
Nesbitt looks good, especially out on the wing I think, didn't seem to get into the game much playing inside.
Duffy looks like he could be good for the SPFL but I'm not convinced about him as a striker yet. He's maybe going to be a bit like Griffiths or Stokes but it all comes down to how good his finishing is. Certainly capable of moving out to a wider position.

Fasan had very little to do in goal. Shot stopping he seems to be pretty good at. I think what they'll need him to work on is his distribution. A few passes going astray tonight!

The second half was boring as two amateur teams kicked each other round the park. But the first half was some good stuff. All in all, a nice little run out to get the legs moving.

RD on Tom Rogic:

"He's a great player and a great person. He works really hard and has been very unlucky with injuries in the last year. Now we have control over his body and you can see what kind of player he is."

"There's a reason why he got brought to Celtic and he's very hungry to show what is in him. Today he played excellent and you can see he's so good at scanning and getting his touch forward."

"He looked very quick today as well and his footwork is getting better every day. He's going to improve with more training."

RD on GMS:

"He's so quick on the ball and he gets it in front of the defender. He can be a handful."

RD on Boyata:

"He plays with calmness and you see he has a very good understanding of the game. He's good in the air and he's going to be a good signing for us."

RD on Janko:

"He's young and we want to develop him. He's a very talented fullback. He has to show himself in training like everybody else but the road is there if he shows he is the best."

So now on to the next game on Saturday. This will surely be when all of our international players will be back. Although I wouldn't expect them to play much more than 45mins.

So I would imagine we're likely to see:

Gordon
Matthews - Ambrose - Mulgrew - Izzy
Brown - Biton
Forrest - Johansen - Stokes
Griffiths

Subs: Hazard (GK), Boayata, Janko?/Lustig, Waters, O'Connell, Thomson, Rogic, McGregor, Fridjonnson, Scepovic, GMS

RD may opt to have more of the youngsters come on for the 2nd half but I figure that we want some of those that played last night back in the team again for Saturday.

Interestingly the website has been updated with players who've left and everyone in the new strip. I also noticed a pre-season photo with Jackson Irvine in it. Both Irvine and McGeouch are still included on our official websites team page, and in the new kit! Now they are likely to be the fringe players that we will be moving on, but clearly they are still with us for now, so do we play them? help them get a move by letting them onto te pitch to impress?

OK, so with Matthews potentially off to Sunderland, he may not play tomorrow. Lustig was feeling his groin tight because he's been out for so long so depending on how he feels will determine if he starts again or not. We obviously have fisher as well but he played 50mins on Wednesday so he might be more tired and we might want to give him a shorter run out this time round. Obviously Janko has just joined us but I'm not sure if he's match ready yet anyway so I wouldn't expect to see him quite yet. The other option is to obviously put Ambrose at RB for part of the match and just give one of O'Connell or Finlday more time at CB or even give Boyata a longer run-out.

VVD is banned for the first game of the CL qualifiers btw, after his red card against Inter in the Europa League. That means we are probably likely to use Mulgrew at CB (confirmed by John Collins) alongside Boyata.

Celtic team to play Dukla Prague:

Gordon
Lustig - Boyata - Mulgrew - Izzy
Brown - Rogic
Forrest - Johansen - GMS
Griffiths

Subs: Fasan, Fisher, Ambrose, O'Connell, Van Dijk, Tierney, Henderson, Lindsay, Nesbitt, Donnelly, Stokes, Scepovic, Trialist, Thomson, Boerrigter, Hazard

The trialist could be Gavin Whyte, current Northern Ireland young player of the year.

Latest Celtic News