Pre-Season/CL Qualifiers 15/16 | Vital Football

Pre-Season/CL Qualifiers 15/16

wee_od_88

Vital Football Hero
Thought I would start a new thread for pre-season and our CL qualifiers.

Today it was announced that we will be playing Icelandic champions Stjarnan.

They are currently sixth in the table after eight games as they bid to defend their title.
The team from Garoabaer, known for their elaborate goal celebrations, knocked Motherwell out of last season's Europa League qualifiers in the second round, winning 5-4 on aggregate.
They then defeated Lech Poznan 1-0 over two legs but were thumped 9-0 by Inter Milan at the play-off stage.
The first leg of the tie will take place on July 14/15 with the return leg on July 21/22.

The club play in a district of Reykjavik so it's pretty much what we had to deal with last season when we played Reykjavik and won 5-0 on aggregate.
Their striker knows Deila....he played under him at Stromsgodset!

This should be a pretty easily-won tie, but I take nothing for granted. After watching Spai and Brazil bomb out in the Woman's World Cup, you never know!

Agree welch, this should be easy enough. We weren't a good team at the start of last season and we still managed to beat KR Reykavik 5-0 on aggregate....I would expect a similar scoreline again this time if not bigger!
I think our preparation will be better this year with less travelling and playing abroad, more time to focus on the training pitch and get the players fit and up to speed!

Commons may not be fit for the Stjarnan game. He has suffered a broken or fractured toe after a wardrobe door fell on his foot. It has been scanned and revealed a fracture. That means he will miss the game tomorrow but could also miss all 3 of the pre-season games before the first game against Stjarnan.

CELTIC v @FCDenBosch

Celtic team: Fasan; Lustig, Boyata, van Dijk, Tierney; Henderson, Rogic; Mackay-Steven, Donnelly, Armstrong, Scepovic

Subs: Fisher, O’Connell, Findlay, Waters, Lindsay, Thomson, McManus, Boerrigter, Nesbitt, Duffy, McMullan, Hazard

First look at Boyata. Fairly inexperienced bench but it'll be good to get a look at a few of them. Interested to see how Donnely copes.

The bhoys are back! :emoticon:04

Interesting team tonight! I know it's pre-season so we're experimenting and giving some others a chance and Collins said that because those involved in internationals at the end of the season arrived back a week later, they wouldn't be playing tonight.

Interesting to see Rogic starting next to Henderson, I generally considered Rogic to be a player who would play further forward. I think CM is Henderson's better position though so glad to see him in there!
Donnelly starting the game is another interesting one, not someone we really know anything about. Heard his name mentioned plenty for the Development Squad last season though.

Very young and inexperienced bench, no GK either......and the only one I have NO idea who he is, is Hazard.....where the hell did he come from???

It seems I've joined late and we are 1-0 up before 6 mins on the clock.

So far we're showing some good passing and importantly it's quick! We're not just knocking it around easily and casually.

I like the look of Donnelly so far. Just saw him getting on the ball, making things happen, bit of skill to just make space for himself and tried the shot but unfortunately blocked.
The ball then fell to Rogic who is showing some really good skill. His technical ability and his ability and skill on the ball is really impressive!
Tierney looking very comfortable at LB as well.

GMS scored I believe. He's looking good!

Tierney is very good going forward from LB!

Armstrong seems to be taking a bit of a beating tonight!

Brilliant save from the keeper! Scepovic so unlucky after a nice 1-2 with Henderson!

Referee needs to start booking players because DB are not playing in a very "friendly" nature! Even when they do commit fouls, which are to be expected, there's no apology or helping the man to his feet or anything.

GOAL! OG!
GMS with a fantastic drive into the box, tries to shoot/cut it back, keeper saves but it bounces off the shin of a defender!

WOW! Some BRILLIANT play! 2 or 3 chances to score, Donnelly's shot cleared off the line, Tierney bombing up the wing again. The DB player booked was lucky not to get another after another rough challenge on Scepovic.
Some REALLY good play from the Bhoys though!

I think our young players are more comfortable, not only because of training with all the first team players but because there's enough of them in the team that are used to playing together and that's something I've said for a while. You can't expect just 1 player to make the jump up to the first team, they have to come in a group because they'll be more confident and comfortable together on the pitch.

Latest Celtic News