Pre-Season/CL Qualifiers 15/16 | Page 14 | Vital Football

Pre-Season/CL Qualifiers 15/16

Gutted for Lustig, he's in tears because he knows what he's done and that he's going back to the injury list! Can't even walk round the pitch, need the stretcher.

BIG opportunity for Janko or Fisher to really step up though.....

If tonight doesn't make us go out and get another LB....I don't know what will! Izaguirre has had a very poor night!

Oh shit! Now Bitton is down too! Went down with nobody around him and nothing obvious seemed to happen before that. Just something has gone, must be a muscle thing. Looks like we will be finishing this game with 10 men!

Really going to have to use our squad this weekend.

shit.............................................

what more can we say? That makes life VERY difficult next week! All they need is 1 goal and they're through.

Ciftci came on and once again showed......NOTHING! Izzy was horrendous all night! We've picked up a few injuries and problems tonight so they'll need to be rested at the weekend to have any chance of being fit for next week.

Next week at Malmo we are going to have to be so on it! No room for defensive errors or sloppiness! We can't really go with Mulgrew at LB instead of Izzy either because he's not got the pace to deal with the wingers of Malmo.
Other than LB though, you wouldn't really change anything. It worked tonight, that was obvious but 2 lapses in defence have cost us 2 goals once again! They'll be at us even more next week so the guys better be ready!

This weekend I'd be surprised if Tierney doesn't come back in at LB, Mulgrew will play CM, Janko at RB and Commons will need to come in to replace Armstrong as I think GMS will replace Forrest.

Us having to rely on Izzy and Ambrose after this length of time is a matter that PL and our scouts need to address asap. The latter has been a liability for some time and Izzy has gone from decent to very average to awful.

The thought process of our defenders is a mystery to me. A bigger mystery is our coaches allowing the backpost to be a regular mystery to our defence. That's the last three games we've made the self same mistake of not being aware of, never mind covering, the area at the backpost.

We'll still beat this mob over there, but that last 10/15 mins from us was amateur night stuff. Our defence gifted them their goals.
Just like the last game when Brown went off, we went to fuck again but this time it was when Griffiths went off. Ciftci was poor when he came on.

Ronny or Kennedy need to sort that defensive shape out or we'll continue to gift the cheapest of goals to the oppo.

Our defense is dire. Conceding that late goal was ridiculous. We basically lost 2-1 in the last 45 minutes to an inferior team. AMbrose is awful. Where's Darnell Fisher and Janko? Both are better options at right back and I'm starting to think Tierney is a better left back than Izzy.

Changes the whole second-leg too. Mindset of both teams, everything. Think Celtic might have to score twice.

It's probably not surprising that we have today been linked with another LB.....West Brom's Sébastien Pocognoli. He's 28 years old and on the fringes of the first team so may look for first team football elsewhere. He's a Belgian international who's had previous spells with Genk of Belgium, AZ Alkmaar of Holland, Standard Liege of Belgium and then Hannover of Germany before joining West Brom. 2 years left on his contract so unless they want rid of him, this is likely to be a loan move. Although his value is only around £1.4m so perfectly feasible for us to buy. In his career so far he has played in 5 Champions League games with a further 2 qualifying matches and 20 Europa League games. That's decent experience in European competition!

Ambrose makes the bench because he is essentially versatile, he can play RB or CB or rather he can cover those positions....Fisher and Janko only really provide cover on the bench for RB. I don't know if Fisher has a slight injury problem because we've not even seen him on the bench yet this season while Janko has featured a lot more, considering how Fisher played in pre-season, that seems surprising. You'd think Deila would alternate between them to see who's going to step up.
It looks like we'll need them to step up because Lustig could be out for a while from the looks of things. I don't see it as being too big an issue, remember when Matthews came in and started in Europe for us, he was young and inexperienced but he coped well! No reason Fisher and Janko can't do the same!

Agree with welch that I think Tierney is becoming a far better option at LB than Izzy......certainly in the SPFL we need to use him more so we can get him ready to play in Europe!

If our defence are not working on organization all week in training then something is wrong!

I also think that game showed how weak our bench is! Ciftci is not good enough, or at least not yet, especially for Europe, maybe once he's up and running domestically we'll see a different player. Scepovic obviously wasn't on the bench but I don't think anyone would count on him to offer much if he came on. Last night Stokes would have been a better option than Ciftci.

Celtic team: Gordon; Janko, Boyata, van Dijk, Mulgrew; Brown, Bitton; Forrest, Johansen, Armstrong; Griffiths

subs: Izaguirre, Ambrose, Ciftci, Commons, Mackay-Steven, Rogic, Bailly

Janko comes in for Lustig. Big night for him, hope he rises to the challange. Mulgrew favoured over izzy.

c'mon the hoops!

Johansen has been pish again. Might be worth bringing Rogic on.

GMS for Armstrong too

Think we'll need to score twice in the 2nd half because our defence are likely to throw another 1 in

This has been awful! Very little to be positive about!

We've been static, particularly from set-pieces but also in the final 3rd!

We had a goal wrongly disallowed after their defender handballed it on purpose (could have easily been a red card) and we would have had a penalty and they'd be down to 10 men....game changer! Even if not, the goal being allowed could have changed the game!

We have no options! We can't pass it out from the back, we can't play it long because they're marking us too well and closing down all the space!

We can't get Griffiths into the game, they've been getting away with numerous fouls as well. Biton and Brown haven't been able to get a hold of the midfield and dictate the play.

Now that we lost a second goal from a corner, I think we'll need to go with 2 up top and get Ciftci on to bully the defenders a bit! We need a physical presence up there!

Latest Celtic News