Post Brexit (n/g) | Page 62 | Vital Football

Post Brexit (n/g)

Of course it makes sense. No government has had the desire to turn off the tap of potential tax payers. Blair even turned on more taps as the UK was crying out for workers to do the less attractive jobs British folk ignored. Even right now, hospitality, the food industry, NHS and others are bemoaning the cutting off of their source of decent European migrant workers.
You do know that Blair promised a referendum on the Eu before gaining power, then didn’t, don’t you.
You do know that every European country has problems in recruiting hospitality staff don’t you?
I’ve a hotelier friend in Malta who can’t get staff for love or money. They haven’t left the Eu.
Nothing to do with Brexit, all to do with the low wages that they paid to Eastern Europeans who have now returned home.

Yep. Crossing to leave the EU to get to the UK. Doesn't make sense, neither does the fact that 5 million of the 3 million EU citizens are still here

Yeh, strange that. I thought they would head straight back to their prosperous home countries in the mighty EU and leave the only country that is in recession with high inflation, still suffering effects of Covid and the Ukraine war. Have they no sense?

You do know that Blair promised a referendum on the Eu before gaining power, then didn’t, don’t you.
You do know that every European country has problems in recruiting hospitality staff don’t you?
I’ve a hotelier friend in Malta who can’t get staff for love or money. They haven’t left the Eu.
Nothing to do with Brexit, all to do with the low wages that they paid to Eastern Europeans who have now returned home.

I presume you have advised your Maltese friend to pay decent wages then?

So we have a prime minister who is not Boris and was not heavily involved in the Vote Leave campaign, giving a speech less than two days ago saying that he voted to leave, still passionately believe it was the right choice and saying that the benefits are being seen. Labour distance themselves even further from the idea of rejoining.

We are not now bound by any of the hundreds of thousands of EU laws. rules and directives and yet remoaners still pick something trivial and at random (like fish and chips in newspapers) to say we have no more freedom than when we were in the EU. Yeh, right.

They drone on endlessly about how we wrongly blamed the EU for everything, but now point to polls at a time we are dealing with the fallout from Covid, Ukraine and a world recession to blame everything on us leaving the EU. They clearly do not appreciate irony.

As Shotty says, it doesn't matter anyway, It is clearly political suicide to even suggest a Swiss type relationship, let alone rejoining.

Lucky ukraine came along so that we can blame that for things that were already happening or had happened lol.

I presume you have advised your Maltese friend to pay decent wages then?
They’ve had very low, and I mean very low wage economy for years. Probably since they voted very narrowly to join the Eu.
They have got used to unlimited young people coming to work, pretty much like the rest of the continent.
I don’t know the current Maltese minimum wage but it was something around 5 euros an hour for a long time.
Yes, they have changed their business model and increased wages but the staff are simply not there.

Yeh, strange that. I thought they would head straight back to their prosperous home countries in the mighty EU and leave the only country that is in recession with high inflation, still suffering effects of Covid and the Ukraine war. Have they no sense?

Your very regular reminder that, whilst within the EU, Britain still retained the full legal right to remove ANY immigrant or asylum seeker who did not meet the necessary criteria to be accepted.
Again, NO government chose to enforce this as they believed the benefits outweighed the costs.

So we have a prime minister who is not Boris and was not heavily involved in the Vote Leave campaign, giving a speech less than two days ago saying that he voted to leave, still passionately believe it was the right choice and saying that the benefits are being seen. Labour distance themselves even further from the idea of rejoining.

We are not now bound by any of the hundreds of thousands of EU laws. rules and directives and yet remoaners still pick something trivial and at random (like fish and chips in newspapers) to say we have no more freedom than when we were in the EU. Yeh, right.

They drone on endlessly about how we wrongly blamed the EU for everything, but now point to polls at a time we are dealing with the fallout from Covid, Ukraine and a world recession to blame everything on us leaving the EU. They clearly do not appreciate irony.

As Shotty says, it doesn't matter anyway, It is clearly political suicide to even suggest a Swiss type relationship, let alone rejoining.
The "fish and chips out of newspaper" was from a radio phone in with your good friend James O'Brien.

The caller was outraged at all the "EU laws" that she didn't want ruling our lives. She wouldn't name any and when finally pushed into coming up with one, that is what she said. This is someone sufficiently opinionated and sure of herself that she phoned up a radio station to argue with a known fanatically pro EU presenter.

I have little doubt that she will have believed Johnson's lie about kippers having to be on a bed with a pillow. That was an Isle of Man policy, not EU but of course he didn't care it was a flagrant lie and his disciples lapped it up.

This was the level of thinking and knowledge that some people had when voting. I accept there will be idiots on all sides in elections but how sad for democracy that we had people like this in such a narrow vote that is apparently to last a lifetime. At least with GE's it's 5 years max to realise the level of bs and do something about it.

Of all the political campaigns in my lifetime this was the worst for bs, and that includes Tory wins which of course I hated. The fact that there were multiple versions for leave has left us in this particularly bad mess.

Your very regular reminder that, whilst within the EU, Britain still retained the full legal right to remove ANY immigrant or asylum seeker who did not meet the necessary criteria to be accepted.
Again, NO government chose to enforce this as they believed the benefits outweighed the costs.
Not quite.
No government chose to enforce it because it was practically impossible to enforce.
We actually didn’t have any idea who was even here.
3 million turned out to be nearly 6 million.
At least we know that now.

The "fish and chips out of newspaper" was from a radio phone in with your good friend James O'Brien.

Aah, that explains it. James O'Brien :LOL:

The guy that is so biased that he clearly gets his researchers to only put through the less credible Brexiters so he can look good. If any of the more credible slip through and he starts losing the argument, he cuts them off.

Your very regular reminder that was only in certain circumstances, which was so easy to get around, either by the migrant or the employer who wants to employ them for a pittance.

If it was so easy, why did Theresa May try to impose the hostile environment in 2012 to deter such a high volume?

I actually suspect that if the legal right had been stronger, Cameron may have been in a stronger position to keep refusing an EU referendum so if you are looking for a root cause....

Last edited:

The guy that is so biased that he clearly gets his researchers to only put through the less credible Brexiters so he can look good. If any of the more credible slip through and he starts losing the argument, he cuts them off.

who is James obrian?

The guy that is so biased that he clearly gets his researchers to only put through the less credible Brexiters so he can look good. If any of the more credible get through and he starts losing the argument, he cuts them off.
"Only puts through the less credible Brexiteers". Oh dear. Desperate. There were loads who phoned in, obviously more articulate and not moronic. Obviously that call stuck in my mind as the most ridiculous.

He would argue ad infinitum with callers. He had a period of being too sarcastic but doesn't do that any more and I'm glad of it.

Whether James O'Brien or not, what do you think of the freedom to be served with newspaper round your fish and chips? Have you been tucking in? Yummy, so much more taste.

Just heard a fish processing plant in Grimsby (70% Leave) owned by Iceland (the country) is moving to the EU for ease of access to the market there. They knew what they were voting for.

A shame some of the versions of Leave were not carried out, such as staying in the SM.

Whether James O'Brien or not, what do you think of the freedom to be served with newspaper round your fish and chips? Have you been tucking in? Yummy, so much more taste.

Never caused me any health issues up to when it stopped being done, a few years before we joined the Common Market.

Things have evolved more now, thanks to the EU, so I expect their civil service will be working on a directive about the way you are allowed to blow your nose now. Those unhygienic hankies are RIGHT OUT !

Just heard a fish processing plant in Grimsby (70% Leave) owned by Iceland (the country) is moving to the EU for ease of access to the market there. They knew what they were voting for.
A shame some of the versions of Leave were not carried out, such as staying in the SM.

Many long term jobs lost there - they actually purchased it 2 years after the Referendum result. Keep Tryin... :giggle:

Many long term jobs lost there - they actually purchased it 2 years after the Referendum result. Keep Tryin... :giggle:
Took your advice and kept "tryin".
Just read the article in the Grimsby Telegraph. The owner blamed Covid and Brexit.

Perhaps the local paper blatantly lied, or perhaps the owner did. What do you think? Couldn't possibly be anything to do with Brexit, just 'cos the owner said so, surely.
:rolleyes: