Pompey Away Match Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Pompey Away Match Thread

What Pompey fans are saying:

Had to be Dale didn’t it.

Yes I thought Blackpool were good and are the best side we have seen down here this season. I think that they have some outstanding players and I am baffled as to why Dembele is playing at League One level. I thought that Blackpool have retained some of their Championship 'polish'. They did take their chances well but that is a good sign of good players in a good team. They always had at least two strikers ready to cause problems. So, yes I thought Blackpool performed to where I would like our side playing.

I don't think it was a 4-0 performance and probably flattered them somewhat. We should have gone in at half time one all really on balance of play - we just didn't didn't score when on top again.

I still maintain though I don't think there was much between the two teams, they were just more ruthless.
I agree with that on the balance of play up to the hour mark of the game 4-0 did flatter them. Once Morrell went I think was a matter of how many they would score. I also agree that Kamara did look useful at times and with a bit of luck we could have gone in at half time level. But I think the bottom line is, in my opinion, that Blackpool were the better of the two teams and deserved to win taking in the whole match into account. I don't think we ever found where their weakness was but they certainly exposed ours. On the evidence of today I thought Blackpool looked like the team at the top of the table.

The best attacking display from Pool this season. On all areas of the pitch we looked like a team that is going places. We could have easily scored more goals. The point is we are now creating goal scoring opportunities in abundance. Onwards and Upwards. :clown:

Been puzzling to myself why it's taken Critch this long to encourage them into playing attacking high intensity football, and not tippy tappy pass backwards just to push up the possession stats. The last two games have shown when we actually go for it we are extremely difficult to handle, wish he had started 1 game earlier against Horwich!

Most realistic theory I can come up with listening to his post match interviews each week is we were low on confidence as a result of last years relegation and learning his new system to a point where it has become 2nd nature. I think adding dembele to the squad has given us that X factor we needed in midfield / attack it's all clicking in to place I just hope we continue to play like this for the rest of the season.

The biggest factor for me, apart from what the bloke from the Trucial States said regarding the attacking intent, is that for the first time in about 3 seasons we can put out a decent starting 11 and have decent cover on the bench, and beyond, to swap around and add different types of menace for the opposition. Being able to bring on Morgan and Joseph up top is what title winning clubs do.

In defence we have Casey, Connolly, Thomson and Lyons as spares. In midfield we have Weir and Norburn and soon to be fit Virtue to call on. Up top we have Kouassi as an option when he's fit.

I don't know if I'd bring Norburn back. He seems to instigate all this negative backpass footy that has the defence all of a flap. I wonder too if his personality is incongruous with the rest of the squad. At the moment the team seem to be a happy bunch of lads who have each others backs. Norburn seems to be too much of a gobshite who is holding the coat tails of the more adventurous players.

We've lost 1 in the last 6, the loss was the only game Norburn played. It was also the only game we failed to score. The other 5 games we won 4 and drew 1 and produced 15 goals. Coincidence? 🤷

I said it earlier; I don't know what all the hype was about with Norburn. The games I watched his passing was poor, his inability to move forward was dreadful and his command (as Captain) seemed to be having negative effects.

I almost forgot about Gabriel too. On his day he can make a difference. Don't think he's going to nudge CJ out of the team and as a defender I reckon CJ is still better. With the 2 Cup games coming up I'd imagine most of the fringe players will get a run out. Oakley-Booth, Weir, Gabriel, Casey, Lyons etc

Tuesday night looks interesting with 4 of the teams above us playing each other.

Oxford v Bolton
Stevenage v Peterborough

A win for us will close the gap on at least 2 of them

The best attacking display from Pool this season. On all areas of the pitch we looked like a team that is going places. We could have easily scored more goals. The point is we are now creating goal scoring opportunities in abundance. Onwards and Upwards. :clown:
A complete reversal against Northampton. We realy didn't have a clue how to crack their defence but they knew how to crack ours.