The Politics Thread | Page 450 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

Jonathan Gullis(Tory MP) really is a dick screaming his head off at PMQs for his hero Johnson.

Nice to see him put in his place here.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/n...P-Jonathan-Gullis-yells-stamps-feet-PMQs.html

The worst thing about the train companies, Union and staff for me is the refusal to modernise. They want a highly labour intensive workforce, which is therefore costly to the consumer and seem to want to be stuck in the mud for their collective benefit. This when it would cost near enough £100 for just one return ticket to Bournemouth from Brum, multiply that by potentially around a thousand of passengers on a big train and that’s before you get to the fact that the majority of the service is subsidised by the tax payer (admittedly I do need to fact check that).

Our train services are embarrassingly bad at the best of times for the fifth or sixth biggest economy in the world, whilst being ridiculous expensive perhaps in part due to being ridiculously inefficient.

Last edited:
Yes, it's the other workers union they only get an average of 31k so I hear this morning that if you include drivers it's an average of 46k.

I don't believe a word though as I was on 500 quid a week in the 70's according to the Brum Mail .

Anyway, I won't be using a train any time soon along with the 90% who rarely use one.
Got me thinking.
I used our little local branch line to connect with the main line to go to Plymouth to collect my car from BMW, that was twenty three years ago.
Prior to that I hadn't been on a train since the old Villa away specials back in the seventies.

Got me thinking.
I used our little local branch line to connect with the main line to go to Plymouth to collect my car from BMW, that was twenty three years ago.
Prior to that I hadn't been on a train since the old Villa away specials back in the seventies.

65 million people made 980m trips last year that's about 3 million a day? How I see that is there are 3m regulars out of 65million. Call me cynical but they could strike forever for me

I believe a London tube driver is on around the £60k per year mark. I also believe TfL staff get free or at least a very significant discount on travel on the network which used to have a companion free token too, which having lived in London, is a huge expense each month I found.

Granted it’s underground all day, not the greatest breathing conditions, unsociable hours and responsible for carrying huge numbers of people per day, but for a fairly low skilled job that to me is good money. Someone might tell me otherwise but I can’t imagine it’s a huge amount more of training versus driving a regular train or even a large vehicle such as a bus or HGV.

I believe a London tube driver is on around the £60k per year mark. I also believe TfL stuff get free or at least a very significant discount on travel on the network, which having lived in London, is a huge expense each month I found.

Granted it’s underground all day, not the greatest breathing conditions, unsociable hours and responsible for carrying huge numbers of people per day, but for a fairly low skilled job that to me is good money. Someone might tell me otherwise but I can’t imagine it’s a huge amount more of training versus driving a regular train or even a large vehicle such as a bus or HGV.
It's not the drivers union though it's the other staff but yes if there is one thing that could be driven autonomously it is a chuffing train (see what i did there)

And yet last night on Question Time there was a lady on the front row playing the "Boris is doing his best" tune.