The Politics Thread | Page 108 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

In fairness to the above, I believe the Mirror are quoting Bill Maher and that wasn't actually Rushdie's point really! lol

In other news, am I hearing Diane Abbott seriously defend Julian Assange?

Can Labour sink any lower?

In fairness to the above, I believe the Mirror are quoting Bill Maher and that wasn't actually Rushdie's point really! lol

In other news, am I hearing Diane Abbott seriously defend Julian Assange?

Can Labour sink any lower?

Not a big fan of Mr Wikileaks?

Erm, it's fair to say no. And I'm getting more irate the more I hear about him being a journalist and this being some grand plan proven about the US when he didn't mind globe trotting on his narcissist fame until he was facing sexual assault charges.

If he was innocent he should have let the Swiss justice system to allow him to prove that. So agree. No time for the man at all.

And he's not a journalist - hence why the New York Post and Guardian (from memory) journalists have never feared extradition (or charges when US based) for their 'reporting' of the leaks - not that you'd hear that from his legal team and supporters, of course.

They weighed potential legal problems against public interest - which is why it's interesting loosely tracking what outlets went for what information (and to what degree), even though it came from a central pool of shared info.

Aside from the fact journalists operate within the law, and when it comes to security the UK certainly does have means to block pre-publish and I guess the US the same - then it comes down to the ethical question of true public interest in terms of 'post and be damned'.

Wikileaks don't operate with ethnics, with content oversight or framing, they just release documents without any attention to the question at play. That's file sharing, Christ even the old Sunday Sport and National Enquirer are a step above them on the journalism pyramid.

His US crime - yet to be proven - is whether or not, and to what degree IF he was, was he complicit in the hack/theft of the original material by Manning. Most believe a max 5 yr sentence if proven guilty even then.

I believe he potentially faced longer if convicted in Sweden for sexual assault/rape.

Hmmmmm, funny that.

I was about to say this is the wrong place for that mini rant, but ultimately it comes down to Assange's own politics in life, so maybe the right place lol

He's holding firm and the line is already out there that he asked for proof, yet non could be provided so May is doing this to avert headlines and look 'strong' (and stable).

Methinks this one will run and run.

This Government is an omnishambles. Sadly, there isn't an opposition that would be any better.

Some saying now it's a row between No 10 (Sedwell) and a Williamson and a score being settled.

But I didn't realise he was May's former chief whip.

He knows where the fields of wheat are buried!