Poch: 'We won't buy Trophies..!" | Vital Football

Poch: 'We won't buy Trophies..!"

Spursex

Alert Team
Mauricio Pochettino: Tottenham will never buy their way to trophies - we are a club that is going to deserve them

TOM COLLOMOSSE
5 minutes ago
0 comments

Mauricio Pochettino insists Tottenham will never try simply to buy success as they seek to end their 10-year wait for a major trophy.

Spurs travel to Swansea on Saturday, knowing a win will secure a place in the FA Cup semi-finals – which will take place at Wembley, Spurs’ home ground for this campaign.

Despite Tottenham’s strong performances this season, and in the last two, there remains a question mark against them: when will they win a big prize? Securing the FA Cup would remove some of those doubts but Pochettino believes the importance of the issue is exaggerated.

“People that understand football know very well that this is a very exciting project, because we are not a club who are going to buy trophies,” said Pochettino. “We are a club who are going to deserve trophies.

Pochettino confident Kane will play again this season

“Perhaps those who say we need to win a trophy are frustrated, because Tottenham in the last few years have shown unbelievable quality, play good football and everyone enjoys it every time they watch the team play.

“People think we deserve to win trophies, even when we don’t. That is all part of the process.”

Pochettino also revealed that Toby Alderweireld, who has played only two games since November 1 due to hamstring trouble, resumed full training on Tuesday, but he has yet to decide whether to include the Belgium defender in his squad for Swansea.

There you go , says it all, no more marquee signings . Will only invest in the project . Wonder why we spent £40 million on Sanchez ?

Walthamstow wanderer - 15/3/2018 14:59

There you go , says it all, no more marquee signings . Will only invest in the project . Wonder why we spent £40 million on Sanchez ?

Marquee signings are now stratospheric sums....

But that doesn't now stop us from buying up and coming Champions league quality like Sanchez....what he's really saying is we can't do a ManUre for example whose net spend in the last 5 years is incredible....or even Man Cities which is beyond most clubs immagination, let alone Liverpool's ..

We have to keep under the radar as we did with Moura and pick them up for sums we can afford and then turn them into the finished article...

Just as we will with Gomez :-)

Lucas not getting play time is baffling....I mean I understand Llorente not getting any, but who here honestly doesn't think Lucas can be dynamic for us.

EX, we missing something here on the Lucas front?

Spursex - 15/3/2018 15:07

Walthamstow wanderer - 15/3/2018 14:59

Marquee signings are now stratospheric sums....

But that doesn't now stop us from buying up and coming Champions league quality like Sanchez....what he's really saying is we can't do a ManUre for example whose net spend in the last 5 years is incredible....or even Man Cities which is beyond most clubs immagination, let alone Liverpool's ..

We have to keep under the radar as we did with Moura and pick them up for sums we can afford and then turn them into the finished article...

Just as we will with Gomez :-)

So whatever happens Ex , our Daniel has to keep Poch sweet . Can't afford to let him go unless he can find someone with the same qualities and prepared to buy into the Project . Somebody ambitious ,but not for tomorrow .
Like I've always said , when Poch gets his detractors and gets slaughtered, imo he is working miracles

USAFSPURS - 15/3/2018 16:43

Lucas not getting play time is baffling....I mean I understand Llorente not getting any, but who here honestly doesn't think Lucas can be dynamic for us.

Honestly, It really isn't that big a mystery, play players from the start when they've had no pre-season conditioning or aren't fully fit and you risk them picking up all sorts of soft tissue injuries - when you're not fully fit, your small muscles aren't engaged for stability and the ability to turn quickly - which given his size and skill type are essential all strains on your large muscle groups that can easily start tearing/straining and have knock on issue for cartilage and tendons - so the basic simple rule is do NOT play a player on a hard pitch when they aren't properly fit ...

..let alone when he is expected to be more than 'just' an explosive forward but also expected to do his fair bit of press and counter-pressing.

Of course, at times it's a judgement call that a manager/coach has to make based on his medics and staff recommendations - but most 'sensible' coaches will contain their impatience until the fitness staff/the medics all line up and say 'he's as good as we can get him'.

There was a time when we didn't do this: specifically under Harry and where he thought Lennon was so important to us, he would start him not fully fit - he then spend three years constantly suffering groin/ankle and calf issues....

Poch and his team have been patient, it's a shame that our supporters aren't/won't or don't understand why...

The supporters that chuck flack at Poch for this, are the sort that have written Winks off, with NO understanding of what he's dealing with...

Spursex - 16/3/2018 08:24

Honestly, It really isn't that big a mystery, play players from the start when they've had no pre-season conditioning or aren't fully fit and you risk them picking up all sorts of soft tissue injuries - when you're not fully fit, your small muscles aren't engaged for stability and the ability to turn quickly - which given his size and skill type are essential all strains on your large muscle groups that can easily start tearing/straining and have knock on issue for cartilage and tendons - so the basic simple rule is do NOT play a player on a hard pitch when they aren't properly fit ...

..let alone when he is expected to be more than 'just' an explosive forward but also expected to do his fair bit of press and counter-pressing.

Of course, at times it's a judgement call that a manager/coach has to make based on his medics and staff recommendations - but most 'sensible' coaches will contain their impatience until the fitness staff/the medics all line up and say 'he's as good as we can get him'.

There was a time when we didn't do this: specifically under Harry and where he thought Lennon was so important to us, he would start him not fully fit - he then spend three years constantly suffering groin/ankle and calf issues....

Poch and his team have been patient, it's a shame that our supporters aren't/won't or don't understand why...

The supporters that chuck flack at Poch for this, are the sort that have written Winks off, with NO understanding of what he's dealing with...

OR.....Poch doesn't want to upset some players! Strange that he has played him against 'lower' opposition, yet not against the 'better' teams, anyone that has played football knows that playing against the better teams is often easier. Guess time will tell whether he gets to play. IMO at one up and certainly at two one down v juventus, he should have been introduced, he would have given them something else to think about. Bottom line as far as I am concerned is this ...... If Poch doesn't think Lucas can do 15-20 mins, then don't put him on the bench. Simple

total spurs - 16/3/2018 12:19

OR.....Poch doesn't want to upset some players! Strange that he has played him against 'lower' opposition, yet not against the 'better' teams, anyone that has played football knows that playing against the better teams is often easier. Guess time will tell whether he gets to play. IMO at one up and certainly at two one down v juventus, he should have been introduced, he would have given them something else to think about. Bottom line as far as I am concerned is this ...... If Poch doesn't think Lucas can do 15-20 mins, then don't put him on the bench. Simple

You seriously think that Poch is afraid of upsetting players? honestly, you actually believe that?

Playing against 'lower' opposition is one step up from a training match and that happens when it's deemed you need to work on fitness 99 times out of 100.

Like you, it seemed he should have had some minutes against Juve - but if Poch thinks he isn't ready, then my betting is, he isn't.

Poch has a habit of introducing players slowly for a few minutes and then gradually giving them more time - I think that's exactly the right thing to do, until the player convinces all the coaches and medical staff he's ready.

Gomez? What one. Lol

Is there any spurs fans that expect us to buy the title like city or the chavs have over the years? I doubt there is many.

Signing players like Lucas and Sanchez are okay with me as it least they have the talent and can improve.

Spursex - 16/3/2018 12:31

total spurs - 16/3/2018 12:19

You seriously think that Poch is afraid of upsetting players? honestly, you actually believe that?

Playing against 'lower' opposition is one step up from a training match and that happens when it's deemed you need to work on fitness 99 times out of 100.

Like you, it seemed he should have had some minutes against Juve - but if Poch thinks he isn't ready, then my betting is, he isn't.

Poch has a habit of introducing players slowly for a few minutes and then gradually giving them more time - I think that's exactly the right thing to do, until the player convinces all the coaches and medical staff he's ready.

Do I think that....not sure either way. As for lower opposition being one step up from a training match.....not in my experience it isn't, the lower league teams want to get a scalp, and if they have to kick you to get it.....they will.

Irrespective, I still go back to don't put him on the bench if he cant give 15-20 mins. Put someone on that can

No team buys the title it is won over 38 games. Money does help, however, lots of teams have spent big and not won a title. MP didn't mention what role great coaches play in title wining teams. City, chavs and Lester all won the pl on merit. MP needs to look at what he is doing and saying. comments like: Edwards is like messi, Demebele like Maradonna and Dele best 21 yo in the world, hardly takes the spot light off a player rather it makes them easy targets. A managers role is to take the pressure of the team in big matches/ finals. Mp comes across as an un-inspirational manager.

EX makes sense, appreciate the answer. It is a bit upsetting that Lucas came to us so out of shape or that far from match ready.

I didn't know he was that far off the pace.

Lucas should be fit enough to get the odd 20 minute spell here and there. If he isn't ready he shouldn't be on the bench.

With Kane out and Llorente not good enough we really need to use Lucas. Son will hopefully be more central now finishing off moves. We will need a player in the wider positions running at defenders and creating chances.

USAFSPURS - 16/3/2018 14:10

EX makes sense, appreciate the answer. It is a bit upsetting that Lucas came to us so out of shape or that far from match ready.

I didn't know he was that far off the pace.

I have it on good aurthority that as he'd been isolated at PSG, his fitness levels are woefully short of what we required - but it's rapidly improving, he's now double double session daily and one on one work with the fitness coaches.

Real Deal - 16/3/2018 17:56

Lucas should be fit enough to get the odd 20 minute spell here and there. If he isn't ready he shouldn't be on the bench.

With Kane out and Llorente not good enough we really need to use Lucas. Son will hopefully be more central now finishing off moves. We will need a player in the wider positions running at defenders and creating chances.

I agree with this. And TBF Pochettino has been known to accelerate integration due to injury. Unfortunately Janssen was one of the examples.

I can't understand why so many think that Lucas would walk more or less straight into our line up?
He was sitting on the bench for PSG and, as Ex states, not match fit when he came to us.
Also it's naturel that it takes time to establish working relations, learn playstyle and tactics on the training ground/pitch. Poch sees all this every day, we don't.
Lucas is no Messi or Ronaldo who can walk right in and dominate a game on their own, even less so if he isn't match fit.

With a good preseason he'll be ready on all levels and come good for us.

Lamela will get the nod. It's going to be a different front end and based on Bournemouth it could be pretty exciting.