Poch getting ready for the off? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Poch getting ready for the off?

"Not really .some just see it differently to you. I personally think that fans like yourself are easily pleased "

RD that was your response to Freunds post about calls for Pochs head having short memories.

I'm in agreement with Freund , so I find it a bit baffling exactly what it is that I see differently .
I see my beloved Tottenham playing some lovely football , lauded by a lot of 'in the know 'ex professional managers and players ,as one of the best teams in the league
Cited by journo's and other " in the knows"for having a well run club . Keeping financies under control
Moving forward with the best training and welfare facilities , reportedly the best in Europe, for the players.

In the process of constructing one of the best football stadiums in the country .
Bringing on some wonderful "home grown " players .
Having at our disposal some brilliant international stars.
Having at our disposal some brilliant English talent .

What else is there to really appreciate . If it is the fact that it's trophies and bragging rights , then we have not had that for years , not just with Poch .
I've watched Spurs for sixty years . I've had some of the finest football put before me that I could wish for by some of the finest players in the world . I haven't had many trophies in that time to brag about but boy have I loved it .
I just love being a Spurs supporter and I don't think I'm easily pleased. All in my honest opinion mate

I do think fans like you are easily pleased but that's just the way you are so fair enough.

I want trophies, I don't care about new stadiums and training facilities. I'm not going to look back in 20 years and admire all of the numbers Levy has made or how good this team was. That's just not me. The best days I have had as a spurs fan was in 91, 99 and 08.

I will always judge a season on how good a squad is. If the squad is good enough then I expect trophies if it's not I am far more realistic. I was the same under Harry, he should have won a trophy with that team. Then as soon as it was AVB, Tim I accepted Europa at best as that was our level.

Anyway as I have said this team is done. We will be in a transition now so we ain't winning feck all for a long time. We missed our chance.

Pochettino has truly moved us from the top of the middle tier to the middle of the top tier.

Obviously, the significance of that is lost on many.

In these days of instant gratification on steroids and opinions swinging from tweet to tweet it doesn't surprise me that the accomplishments this year against the adversity of playing away all season are lost in short-term temper tantrums that turn into managerial lynch mobs.

It doesn't surprise me but it does piss me off.

Pochettino has truly moved us from the top of the middle tier to the middle of the top tier.

Obviously, the significance of that is lost on many.

In these days of instant gratification on steroids and opinions swinging from tweet to tweet it doesn't surprise me that the accomplishments this year against the adversity of playing away all season are lost in short-term temper tantrums that turn into managerial lynch mobs.

It doesn't surprise me but it does piss me off.

Maybe that's why he would consider or is considering the approaches to sound him out...

It wouldn't surprise me; the disconnect between the whole club and Poch is one of the understanding (or lack of) of the key objectives - it's a chicken and the egg type situation.

The club ('the project) is to be firmly enscounsed in the Top 4, to be producing players from our academy good enough to compete at squad level and to have Champions League football - which in itself given our financial limitations is an incredible over-achievement for the club; the next step is to be top of that pile and that's clearly what Poch thinks all his focus should be on - because he believes it is achievable - just as he believed that regular CL football was achievable - despite the financial limitations...

Some, perhaps the majority (Such as RD above) couldn't give two fcuks about our percieved new top-drawer status and the fact that it does and will allow us to attract a better class of player - they simply want a glory day at Wembley to stick in the memory bank, even if it's then followed with periods of dull, painfully losing football that has followed a success almost everytime...

I do think fans like you are easily pleased but that's just the way you are so fair enough.

I want trophies, I don't care about new stadiums and training facilities. I'm not going to look back in 20 years and admire all of the numbers Levy has made or how good this team was. That's just not me. The best days I have had as a spurs fan was in 91, 99 and 08.

I will always judge a season on how good a squad is. If the squad is good enough then I expect trophies if it's not I am far more realistic. I was the same under Harry, he should have won a trophy with that team. Then as soon as it was AVB, Tim I accepted Europa at best as that was our level.

Anyway as I have said this team is done. We will be in a transition now so we ain't winning feck all for a long time. We missed our chance.

Spot on RD.

RD . Seriously mate I do not want to get into this too heavily , but I do not understand how you think I am too easily pleased. Being a realist is completely different from accepting mediocrity. You say your best years as a Spurs fan were when we won trophies.

I am astounded by that.
Obviously , at the start of each new season , I WANT us to win every game , scoring goals for fun and never conceding one. I would expect that every Spurs supporter would feel the same .
Needing trophies above all else is the remit of Chelsea , Man City , Man Utd . Real Madrid , Barcelona , PSG etc.
Had Roman Abrovamich chosen us over Chelsea ,as I read he nearly did, then you would have had your dreams come true . Boy am I glad he didn't . Not because I don't want your dreams to come true but because I love the fact that we are a proper club , with proper players who give us supporters the feel that whatever we achieve has been done in the proper manner. As it has been since 1882.
As a spurs supporter for all my life, I've learnt that fortunes and trophies are not a given right but , being allowed to follow one of the best clubs in the world, is my given right. Accepting that we can lose but appreciating how difficult it is to be all conquering does not make me easily pleased.

I'm not quite in WW's corner... I want trophies! but I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bath water because in 4 seasons we've reached 2 semis and 1 final and failed to win a trophy.

I just don't really see the logic in saying that a manager who breaks unbeaten records dating back generations, gets us to our highest finish in decades, undoes numerous hoodoos (everyone predicted losses vs Madrid, at the Bridge, at Anfield & etc...) can never win a trophy because he's lost 3 big matches. He's won several other big games, unfortunately not ones that lead to trophies, but if you actually look at his big game return it's really not as bad as some make out... and definitely not bad if you consider what we were up against this season in terms of missing key players and playing at an away ground all season.

agree with you there!

To be honest if you're miserable every single match that doesn't end in us winning a trophy I think that makes you bordering on impossible to please. Enjoy the ride gentlemen.

But we do go into every match expecting to win.....and ironically when people trend toward "we are going to lose" we usually win.

2017-18 spend
  • Man City - £217.3m
  • Chelsea - £202m
  • Man Utd - £169.5m
  • Everton - £152.9m
  • Liverpool - £82.9m
  • Tottenham - £82.1m
I know you can't blame our failure on money spend alone, but I do think it foolish to ignore it

2017-18 spend
  • Man City - £217.3m
  • Chelsea - £202m
  • Man Utd - £169.5m
  • Everton - £152.9m
  • Liverpool - £82.9m
  • Tottenham - £82.1m
I know you can't blame our failure on money spend alone, but I do think it foolish to ignore it

For me it’s not about just this year

How much did Leicester spend?

Leicester was a freak result and an anomaly really. First half of the season everyone gave them too much respect, 2nd half of the season they parked the bus. Add to that certain players hitting the form of their life and them not getting one injury all season - it really was just meant to be for them.

Leicester was a freak result and an anomaly really. First half of the season everyone gave them too much respect, 2nd half of the season they parked the bus. Add to that certain players hitting the form of their life and them not getting one injury all season - it really was just meant to be for them.

And they spent a shit load to do it. People forget that.

I'm sure I read that since Jan 2017 Everton have spent something like 230 million . No wonder they go through managers like I do pub doors

agree with you there!

To be honest if you're miserable every single match that doesn't end in us winning a trophy I think that makes you bordering on impossible to please. Enjoy the ride gentlemen.

My Dad was like that . Back in the sixties if we didn't win a game on the Saturday , he would have the hump till the following Thursday . He would take me to the home games on a Saturday , Mum would listen out for the result on Sports Report on the radio and if we hadn't won she would bugger off to her mums for an hour or so. Luckily we never had a cat ha ha

For me it’s not about just this year

How much did Leicester spend?

Again, the fact that people quote that as a reference point simply underlines why the exception proves the rule - statistically, it was a one in 100 year event.

They deserved it - pbut let's not forget they also broke the financial fair play rules in doing so in the previous two seasons - but sadly, the authorities did no more than slap them on the wrist, when in reality they should have been stripping them of the title.

Somebody touched on this....are we as a team stronger than last year ? Keeping in mind Aurier is no replacement for Walker, Toby , Wanyama, Rose and Winks out for long periods.

Somebody touched on this....are we as a team stronger than last year ? Keeping in mind Aurier is no replacement for Walker, Toby , Wanyama, Rose and Winks out for long periods.

We are definitely weaker IMO, Walker and Rose were admired by everyone in the game and provided us with much needed width.
They both have proved to be a huge loss this season and with Toby and Big Vic out as well we have been much weaker.

At 34 games in we are 9 points down on this stage last season,have scored fewer goals, let in more and lost 6 games as opposed to 3 at this stage, which considering the Wembley factor this season could have been a heck of a lot worse.