Players going forward | Page 26 | Vital Football

Players going forward

I think even without admin there was going to come a day we'd need to change the way we ran the club to be self sustainable. I honestly do feel like it was something Whelan and Sharpe should've considered long ago but i can understand that they wanted to keep pushing to be succesful in the short term.

Every club outside the Prem will have to become self sustainable in the not to distant future, some are already trying to move towards that and i think a lot of clubs over spending like they are could have major issues doing it. If we can survive this and get our house well and truly in order going forward i think long term it could even turn out to be an an advantage to getting it out of the way before the market collapses even further and no other clubs are financially able to buy our star players to balance the books.

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying that what has happened is a good thing or a blessing in disgusise, i'm just saying it's brought forward an inevitable restructuring of our club and if it was going to happen it's possibly easier for us to fix it now than later on when everyone is going through similar rescaling. There was certainly an easier and less painful way of doing this but we are where we are and hopefully we can get through the other side and start to run the club in a way that guarentees our ongoing survival.

True but we need a buyer first and very quickly

I think even without admin there was going to come a day we'd need to change the way we ran the club to be self sustainable. I honestly do feel like it was something Whelan and Sharpe should've considered long ago but i can understand that they wanted to keep pushing to be succesful in the short term.

Every club outside the Prem will have to become self sustainable in the not to distant future, some are already trying to move towards that and i think a lot of clubs over spending like they are could have major issues doing it. If we can survive this and get our house well and truly in order going forward i think long term it could even turn out to be an an advantage to getting it out of the way before the market collapses even further and no other clubs are financially able to buy our star players to balance the books.

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying that what has happened is a good thing or a blessing in disgusise, i'm just saying it's brought forward an inevitable restructuring of our club and if it was going to happen it's possibly easier for us to fix it now than later on when everyone is going through similar rescaling. There was certainly an easier and less painful way of doing this but we are where we are and hopefully we can get through the other side and start to run the club in a way that guarentees our ongoing survival.

Personally the model we had was perfect in terms of sustainability, sadly to be sustainable in this league system requires a bit of investment initially, with this model and the right freaking owner we could of sold Robinson Moore, Gelhardt and Weir for a combined 20 mil, we could of then invested 10 million into more younger players and did the same, we would of been fine. Personally think we was doing the right thing and have been shafted by owners. Investing in our youth and continue this model should be what the new owners should look into. Don't need a rich owner for it, just need a owner that values the importance of a good youth academy and a eye for a player with potential.

100% TB and no issue with players covering themselves at all.
Sticks in the throat though that our player recruitment model and contract details are all against the clubs interest. Letting players go for way less than market value - Jedi, Moore, Lowe, our academy cream and others no doubt to come is criminal in our hour of existential need. UTFT 🔵⚪🔵

Purely down to circumstances mate, not mismanagement. Had we not allowed those clauses the three players you mention would probably gone to other clubs who would agree to the aforesaid terms.

Regarding the academy players, they are untried prospects, including Geldhart who got cameo appearances last season, and as such most clubs will not be looking at them as first team players just yet so the bidding would be low, however we do have sell on clauses in all their contracts.

It is criminal I admit to let so much talent go for so little, but that's the circumstance we find ourselves in due to the criminal way we have been treated by the unscrupulous Chinese crooks.

I might be wrong but I am of the opinion that not many (certainly Championship level) transfer fees are going thru at the moment due to the current climate so all these millions that our players should have been worth wouldn't have come to fruition despite relegation clauses.
Even if / when the market picks up , these players wouldn't have as much left on their contracts anyway so their value would have dropped.

Personally the model we had was perfect in terms of sustainability, sadly to be sustainable in this league system requires a bit of investment initially, with this model and the right freaking owner we could of sold Robinson Moore, Gelhardt and Weir for a combined 20 mil, we could of then invested 10 million into more younger players and did the same, we would of been fine. Personally think we was doing the right thing and have been shafted by owners. Investing in our youth and continue this model should be what the new owners should look into. Don't need a rich owner for it, just need a owner that values the importance of a good youth academy and a eye for a player with potential.

It's easy to say value the youth and have a good eye for the player but much harder to do in practice. The Brentford 'money ball' approach was the plan as far back as L1 under Sharpe and Caldwell but despite signing loads of young players we only managed to make tprofit on about 3 of them with Grigg, Yanic, Burn and with the majority going on frees or sold on at a loss. The thing is if we don't manage to succesfully churn the squad for large profits every season to offset the large wage bill the club ends up losing large amounts of money as shown by the fact we were probably averaging a 10m net loss in the 3 seasons since the parachute payments stopped. We were looking at needing to succesfully sell 10m of players every season to just break even without any reinvestment, so it's a high risk / high reward strategy.

It looked like if the owners wouldn't have pulled the plug we'd have finally been able to make it work this season but with the academy top talent sold off, the recruitment team sacked, wage bill capped, budget slashed and transfer market deflated i don't think we'll be in a position to do anything like that for a long time after any sale. I think we are going to be in for a long rebuilding process and may never get to a position where we can take that level of financial risk again unfortunately.

We must have sold 6 million quids worth now. With 3.8 owed to us plus 2.3 solidarity payments from EFL I can't see how wage bill isnt more than affordable with so few players registered.

Until new owners come in (hopefully) we’ll continue selling players. The cost of admin is a fortune that still needs paying. I’d rather us shift anyone on a decent wage and start fresh next season. I can’t see anyone coming in for Garner and can see him being our main man next season, hopefully Naismith will stay too. Other than that I can’t see many of the senior pros staying at the club.

Robinson, Marshall, Lowe and Windass to go now hopefully. Wouldn’t expect to keep hold of Kipre, Morsy or Evans either so if any of them are still here at the start of the season it’s a massive bonus.

If we could somehow keep evans I think hes the best ball playing midfielder in league 1 imagine if no one came in for samy we could pair them back up like the old days and bring ourselves back to glory. Obviously quick sale dependant. I can dream.

Lots of decent players out of contract with no clubs if we can get the new owners in keep half a dozen of what we have left we could still have a competitive side in league 1 hopefully