Players going forward | Vital Football

Players going forward

Danny_de_Zeeuw16

Vital Squad Member
I know its early to be asking opinions as none of us havent got the foggiest where we will be going forwards but does anyone have any predictions about which players might infact stay? Do you think the gaffer stays? Asuming we are in league 1 which is where we are at present do you think the likes of naismith might still be affordable to a club like us? So many questions so little answers and I feel we need to try and look at positives wherever a crum of positivity may be.

I could see us keeping players such as

Naismith
Jones
Gary roberts
Pearce
Jacobs
Macleod

not a bad few players to work with? Naismith epitomises this club if morsy leaves id make him captain.

I think if we are only going to have a 20 man squad keeping geldhart lang etc is absolutley crucial now

I know its early to be asking opinions as none of us havent got the foggiest where we will be going forwards but does anyone have any predictions about which players might infact stay? Do you think the gaffer stays? Asuming we are in league 1 which is where we are at present do you think the likes of naismith might still be affordable to a club like us? So many questions so little answers and I feel we need to try and look at positives wherever a crum of positivity may be.

Naismith
Jones
Gary roberts
Pearce
Jacobs
Macleod

not a bad few players to work with? Naismith epitomises this club if morsy leaves id make him captain.

I think if we are only going to have a 20 man squad keeping geldhart lang etc is absolutley crucial now

I think Championship clubs, like Wycombe, Luton and Barnsley will want to sign Naismith, maybe even Jacobs. Total new squad for us needed for League 1. Cook will go also.....Bristol City, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield....take your pick. He knows the division now. I hope he stays, though.

It's never as bad as you think...we will lose players obviously but we will have enough left to have a go.

Jones in goal..Good lad.

Maybe Byrne stays..hope.
Dunks and Fox..maybe.
Pearce..left side.

Jacobs maybe back in.
Massey will stay.
Maybe a midfielder from the Everton signings stay.

We've got Garner and Lowe.

There's a team in there don't worry about that.

What does sadden me is we have probably seen the last of Marshall, Kipre, Balogan obviously, Robinson, Moore, Williams and Joffy.

But the one that cuts deepest is our captain and legend Sami...i think he's up there with Boycey and I wish them all every success in the future.

But....we will have a decent team left, no worries.

It's never as bad as you think...we will lose players obviously but we will have enough left to have a go.

Jones in goal..Good lad.

Maybe Byrne stays..hope.
Dunks and Fox..maybe.
Pearce..left side.

Jacobs maybe back in.
Massey will stay.
Maybe a midfielder from the Everton signings stay.

We've got Garner and Lowe.

There's a team in there don't worry about that.

What does sadden me is we have probably seen the last of Marshall, Kipre, Balogan obviously, Robinson, Moore, Williams and Joffy.

But the one that cuts deepest is our captain and legend Sami...i think he's up there with Boycey and I wish them all every success in the future.

But....we will have a decent team left, no worries.
Yep bang on captain for me too. Rest go with my blessing just wish the young lads wont be sold. Lang would be very good for us.

Jacobs and the others cant remember who are now out of contract and presumably will be released

Naismith
Jones
Gary roberts
Pearce
Jacobs
Macleod

It all depends on how much they earn and how much we are offered for them.
We are skint and losing more and more each week.

I can see us dropping down another divison.

Found this a reassuring quote from Morsy yesterday:
Suggests a lot of the players are happy to stick around and I certainly think the bond amongst the lads will help that. Naturally lots will have to be sold to pay bills but hopefully we can retain the spine of the team - keeping Samy would be massive.

If we don't win the appeal we have zero chance of keeping Samy. If we win it we only have a slim chance. He has his pick of championship clubs and maybe even lower PL clubs. It's telling that he doesn't say some of US will still be here. It's some of the lads will still be here.

But I've no issue with that. He deserves his chance for his performances and the leadership and unifying qualities he has shown. He will always be held ih the highest possible esteem by all Latics supporters.

The thing is some of the lads may be happy to stay but it may just not be possible under the circumstances. Samy, Moore, Williams, Robinson etc may all be willing to give it another year even in L1 but as much as the new owner may want to keep them they may not be able to afford the expense. The club may even get to a position where we accept offers and tell a reluctant player to please move on for the overall good of the clubs finances. We may even get to a point we say to players they can leave on a free just to get them off the wage bill. I hope none of that is the case but we can't rule it out.

The current wage structure will obviously need to change drastically to fit into a new budget - depending on that budget we may even need our average earners to leave along with our highest earners.

I don't think we can predict anything about who will stay and go unfortunately. But i think realistically i think there will have to be a lot of players leaving judging by what the Administrators have said and the fact a preffered bidder is in place but players are still being sold on the cheap.

I'm worried about next season. If we aren't able to sign anyone and are in Lg. 1. If we lost our best player in each position plus some youngsters and lost Cook. It would be a mighty effort to stay in the league. That's obviously worst case scenario.

For me if we have a new owner over Summer we need to be allowed to sign players. The EFL are crooked. We have exposed that. F**k them. Hope they're proud of themselves for what they've done. Just allowed a foreign conman to destroy a club and watched as it happened.

Sorry bit of topic. Just can't get over this. Only just hit me tbh.

We need to get real. The reality is that we are more than likely going to be a league one side barring a miracle, which I accept do happen, however our income streams are going to be significantly lower than the previous years. TV money alone will drop us at least 5million, reduced ticket sales, fewer away supporters will all mean that our budget will be meagre to say the least. We lost 10 million last year and that was with the significantly higher TV money so this year there will have to be significant reductions on the wage bill.

We have lost the overseas Directors who were taking a large chunk out of the wage bill but we still have a lot of players on substantial wages and whether they want to move on or not I would assume the new owners would want to get them off the wage bill. In real terms we will be down to the bare bones of a squad made up of one or two of the older pro's at the end of their playing careers who might be prepared to take a drop in wages. Youth and development team players, similar to how Bolton survived, and free loans from clubs looking to get first team experience for their upcoming talent.

I think the squad could look something like this:

GK's Jamie Jones, Owen Evans.

Defenders. Fox, Obi, Pearce, Golden,

Midfield. Macleod, Pilkington, Evans, Massey, Jacobs, Roberts, Merry

Forwards. Garner, Lang, Jolley,

Other than those above I think we will use a full compliment of loan signings to bolster the areas we are weakest in and I fully expect everybody else to be sold off to reduce the wage bill to manageable levels.

I know this will cause some to be upset and angry but it is my own personal assessment of what we will be able to afford unless the new owners have deep pockets and are able to put significant finance into the club.