Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead from overdose. | Vital Football

Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead from overdose.

Galvin's Shinpads

Vital Football Legend
Apparently the 46 year old was found in bathroom of his New York apartment, with syringe stuck in his arm.

Shame. Great actor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/movies/philip-seymour-hoffman-actor-dies-at-46.html?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto&_r=0

great actor, possibly the best of all the '2 names, 1 middle Initial' gang.....

William H Macy
John C Reilly............

complete waste of a talent

It's only a shame for the kids he left behind. Heroin overdose. No sympathy from me, actor or not.

ahx00 - 4/2/2014 00:42

It's only a shame for the kids he left behind. Heroin overdose. No sympathy from me, actor or not.

yep, completely agree. Drugs screw up your life, take enough of them and they'll kill you, how hard is that to understand?

Galvin's Shinpads - 4/2/2014 12:07

Very difficult.

Thank jeepers neither of you cuckoos aren't working in a rehabilitation centre.

I don't see how that would make a difference, since he wasn't in one.
He had been in the past though, but it clearly didn't help.

If having three kids to look after isn't motivation enough to keep yourself clean, why does he deserve my sympathy - especially considering I don't even know the guy?

Exactly. And if anything, thespians are usually dicks.

He was addicted to prescription drugs. Compulsive personality. Doesn't take much to clue he was heading that way.
Sometimes having kids doesn't matter to the user. They don't figure in the mindset.
Still... ******* drugs eh!

Galvin's Shinpads - 4/2/2014 12:45

He was addicted to prescription drugs. Compulsive personality. Doesn't take much to clue he was heading that way.
Sometimes having kids doesn't matter to the user. They don't figure in the mindset.

so you don't have any sympathy for him then?!! :10:

when you have a personality disorder, as hoffman has clearly demonstrated as well as gary speed did, leaving kids behind does not figure into their emotional decision process. I feel terrible for the kids, but also feel sorry for Hoffman.

Spurfect11 - 4/2/2014 13:32

when you have a personality disorder, as hoffman has clearly demonstrated as well as gary speed did, leaving kids behind does not figure into their emotional decision process. I feel terrible for the kids, but also feel sorry for Hoffman.

Did he have a personality disorder or was it the drugs?

Spursex - 4/2/2014 12:49

I have sympathy for the poor fecker that found him.

I have a sympathy for homosexuals in Russia.

I have sympathy for homeless folk in general.

He was a very sick man.

Spursex - 4/2/2014 13:36

Did he have a personality disorder or was it the drugs?

He was addicted to prescription drugs first. These things have a way of snowballing and Hollywood is a murky place.

I feel sad about all human life wasted, so a degree of sympathy seems appropriate. It's easy to say your just selfish but clearly the element of compulsion involved means you are not in full control of your actions.

any medical professional will tell you addiction is strongly correlated to a personality disorder, however mild.

and to put another spin on this, you know cigarettes shorten your life and your kids don't factor into it when they do not quit. should we not feel sympathy for the person who died because they were addicted to smoking? of course we do!

Spurfect11 - 4/2/2014 14:23

any medical professional will tell you addiction is strongly correlated to a personality disorder, however mild.

and to put another spin on this, you know cigarettes shorten your life and your kids don't factor into it when they do not quit. should we not feel sympathy for the person who died because they were addicted to smoking? of course we do!

Seems self evident to me mate. But we are increasingly being taught to see compassion as a form of weakness.

addiction is very much down to personality, some people go from A to Dead in nano seconds, others only 'use' and manage quite happily without addiction ever being an issue. Very many US soldiers took heroin / smoked opium in Vietnam and the vast majority simply stopped when they returned.

Dont get celebrities fascination and usage of prescription drugs at all but so many of them do it, often along with illegal drugs.

I've had to take cocodomol for my knee quite a bit recently, the packs have dire warnings about not using for more than 3 days as they are addictive!!!!!!!! Taken them on and off over a period of weeks and I'm not crawling the walls or anything like it. But no doubt for some people that would be a major issue?

I find it a bit double standard that some on here are more than happy to show compassion for depression sufferers but none at all for addicts.

Anyhoo rehab is for losers as Keef once said (to Ronnie)

I find it a bit double standard that some on here are more than happy to show compassion for depression sufferers but none at all for addicts.

Spot on there is no moral hierarchy of despair.