Paul Cook | Page 6 | Vital Football

Paul Cook

The April nominations for the Sky Bet League 2 Manager of the Month Award are in.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?580870">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Didn't hear it, and haven't listened.

In fairness not really sure what else Cookie could say though stubbsy if that's the case, which (on the whole in that game) it was wasn't it...

The game was pretty poor all-round, although the three-points could be another big three-points come the end of the season and it was another game I would probably say we wouldn't have won last season?

He's right, but it's refreshing to hear him say it after a win rather than a frustrating draw or loss.

Yes, it's now a weekly thing, most teams will be happy to sit back and let us attack them and hope for a point or to catch us on the counter.

Exeter had their chances at 0-0 on Saturday, a few balls flashed across the face of goal that on other days may well have gone in.

Once we took the lead they had to go for it, and I think we were lucky to hold on, mainly thanks to some heroic defending and a fine point blank save from Forde (3 clean sheets in 4 games).

Cook can come out and say what he likes, but he will be chuffed with the 6 points from the last 2 games after the start we had.

No sh*t Sherlock. I'm so bored of him stating the obvious and the excuses. He is the manager and it's his job to sort things out.

Cook should be telling us the changes he is making to ensure the same thing doesn't happen again.

Shape up or ship out. :54:

PompeyFrippy - 30/8/2016 09:10

He's right, but it's refreshing to hear him say it after a win rather than a frustrating draw or loss.

Yes, it's now a weekly thing, most teams will be happy to sit back and let us attack them and hope for a point or to catch us on the counter.

Exeter had their chances at 0-0 on Saturday, a few balls flashed across the face of goal that on other days may well have gone in.

Once we took the lead they had to go for it, and I think we were lucky to hold on, mainly thanks to some heroic defending and a fine point blank save from Forde (3 clean sheets in 4 games).

Cook can come out and say what he likes, but he will be chuffed with the 6 points from the last 2 games after the start we had.

Hard to disagree with what you've said Frippy.

Not quite sure whatelse Cookie can say or do at the moment as it seems he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't...

Odd that we've (in my opinion anyway) got probably the best manager we've had in years, who is looking to give us entertainment, yet a good few seem to want rid of him!

Don't get it myself...

Like I've just said on another thread stubbsy, Cookie seems damned if he does and damned if he doesn't...

He might be stating the obvious but if its obvious surely he has to state it? If he trotted out some BS that wasn't fact he would be jumped on, which seems he is even if he's not.

The fact he's not using wins as excuses is refreshing, they can often mask issues and he's saying the same things after we've won too.

You can only beat what you're up against and as much as it aint been pretty (or overly enjoyable) last couple of games really we've won both.

All being well when the players gel fully we'll not only find that way to break down the anti-footballing teams (sorry state of affairs when teams have little interest in winning games!) and do this by entertaining too.

I understand the frustration Stubbsy, but I think the repetition and stating the obvious is just part of the over saturation of football we have thanks to social media and the internet.

We now have a pre-match interview, a post match interview(or often several), an analysis of the game and a report. And if like today there's a match 3 days after the previous game will be mentioned in the pre-match interview again.

You've got forums, Facebook, Twitter, local newspapers, and official sites all regurgitating the same information, so when there's little else to say about the team other than "That was a tough game against a team who were happy with a draw" and "we had plenty of chances but couldn't take them", it's better to take it with a pinch of salt.

Cook knows he has to give press something to go on, and if there isn't much else to say, stick with the classics.

IF he is planning on making changes, it's surely of his best interest to keep it between him and the team, don't want to sell the ranch before match day.

The Sky Bet Manager of the Month winners for April 2017 are in.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?580979">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Portsmouth manager Paul Cook has been named the Sky Bet League Two Manager of the Month for April.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?580980">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Cook spoke positively about the potential owner of Portsmouth Football Club ahead of Eisner's addressing of the PST at the Portsmouth Guildhall on Thursday.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?580989">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Well deserved, although Newport's Mike Flynn also deserves a huge amount of credit for turning that club around. They were nailed on to be relegated not so long ago but somehow find themselves in a great position to stay up on the last day of the season.

But take nothing away from Cookie, a great run of form at a crucial time sees us jump up a league, and may even have a trophy on the way.

I'd just like to hear him say what the team will do - go out and win games. Not sit on the fence so much and be cagey.

I'd just like to hear him say to make sure Pompey are firing on all cylinders he has a clear plan. A watch this space approach. Being more bullish would be good.

Doesn't he have a plan though and is sticking to it?

I do get what you're saying, and do feel he's been saying we'll be on it soon enough, but if he was overly bullish and (for whatever reason) it didn't happen he would then have that turned back on him wouldn't he do you not think?

pompeyrug - 2/9/2016 16:10

Doesn't he have a plan though and is sticking to it?

I think that is crux of our problems. We're now a season and a bit into the Cook Era, for want of a better phrase. He has cleared out all the players he was left to work with (minus Chaplin, Whatmough, any more?), and is now working with what he can call his own team.

Last season was a bit of a wake up call for him. Other managers and fans in League 2 said we would steamroll our way to promotion, but as experienced Pompey fans we knew it wouldn't be that easy.

He HAD a plan, and last season he stuck with it. In stages it worked great - we started well, and had a period through March/April where we not only went on a great run, but played well. But the underlying point that I'm trying to make remains; we never had it all our own way.

We went through long stages last season where we couldn't break teams down. Whether at home or on the road, teams set out their stall against us and we tried playing our patient 'football' but got caught out. We lost a lot of points either by not killing games off and conceding late, or by going for the jugular early and finding ourselves a goal or two down.

This is our second season under Cook, and he has been very vocal about our system after our 'indifferent' start (I use the word indifferent because I agree with Rug that even though we didn't see results in out first 3 games, there was still noticeable improvements).

Cook HAD a plan, he HAD this plan last season, and now in post match interviews and pretty much admitted that this plan needs re-evaluating.

Crawley will be a big game tomorrow. Regardless of the result, we will find out if he stubbornly sticks to his plan, or is willing to work on another plan to play our way out through teams who come to Fratton looking for a point.

Let me clarify, I am not one of the anti-Cook brigade. I fully support whatever team he puts out, and as a Cook fan I am very interested to see whether he sticks with his 'plan', or works his way around it. In my opinion, a good manager would consider the latter, at least for a few games.

The last 2 games we stuck with our plan, it didn't work. He tried Plan B and we got late winners, for 6 points that could prove crucial come May.

I strongly believe we will get promoted this year and Cook will be the one to guide us there, but we can't always rely on Plan B to salvage us a late win. When Plan B works better than Plan A, the obvious thing to do is start with Plan B.

That is why Crawley is a massive match. If we do come out tomorrow with an attacking feel and pepper their goal through the first half, we know we have a manager who we can trust to adapt under the circumstances. If he tries the patient approach that we had to endure for last season, I fear each week more and more fans will turn on him, and it will be very difficult to find another manager who will work with 'Cook's Team'.

That's my rant over with, and I didn't mention 'divine right' once!

For anyone who couldn't be arsed reading these ramblings (I don't blame you) - Trust in Cookie, he is the only one who can steer us right.

Trouble with Cook last season was he tried plan B, 2 up front but changed it quickly when it didn't work. At home we need to dominate, if we don't score early we struggle. As the home team i am old school and its up to us to dictate the tempo etc
I am all for 1 up front away from home but at home we need 2, and not Roberts as the 2nd fwd, small bloke who sits on the bench a lot, with either of our bigger blokes.
I am also perhaps odd in that I want to watch good football first and the result is secondary, best will in the world we aint going to be a force even in div 1 for many a season, too many clubs around still willing to overspend, we will not.

I've kept quiet on here for a while because every time I said anything mildly negative it never went down that well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Cook clearly not the man to make it happen at Pompey. Every week he says we didn't do this or that. He never actually takes full responsibility. I keep opening up the News app after every poor game hoping he has resigned!

Last week's reaction by many to the booing at Fratton Park was a bit 'kings new clothes' syndrome. Being a fanatical follower of Pompey can also mean waking up to reality - we don't all have to be super positive after every match.

The team isn't good enough - we just make the odd performance which keeps everyone happy for a while and those annoying phrases ring out:

"Now we push on"
"The season starts now"
"We've turned the corner"
"Now we build on that result"

Fact: We don't have the form to get promoted. And that won't change with the current set up - the players clearly don't have the ability to turn things around on the pitch and Cook is incapable of inspiring from the side line.