Paul Cook | Page 5 | Vital Football

Paul Cook

I'd think that's VERY plausable Emsworthian!

I do not think Cookie has often made excuses lorna so think you're being a tad unfair on him by saying he was/does.

Cookie is the best manager we've had in years, has us playing the best footie in years too - YEP I get the frustration at time but give me what this season has brought over the past 2,3,4 or 5-years any day of the week.

The April nominations for the Sky Bet League 2 Manager of the Month Award are in.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?565946">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Would have (of course) been nice for Cookie to get the manager of the month BUT missing out isn't a bad thing, it can be a 'curse' at times!

We can afford to sit and wait to see whether we can get up?

Why can't we have transparency - The clubs aim in December is to get x number of points - there is nothing apart form crap statemnets about how we are now going to make inroads on the top three as we have so many matches over Christmas.....so do the top three.

New manager - Get me on the board and I can help find them one.

PS. In the summer why didn't we get players in that are good at helping sides climb out of League 2?......................Danny Hylton etc

PPS. Keep smiling FrattonBlue :)

So what happens if we change manager and he doesn't take us up this year? Do we change manager again? Should we clear out the playing staff and backroom staff all over again? And you can't honestly expect the club to come out with a statement saying this is the number of points we expect to get. That's a ridiculous idea that piles more unnecessary pressure on the management team. Everyone knows we need to get promotion and so it's at the end of the season where we'll see if targets have been met. Oh and you don't have to be on the board to at least suggest a couple of names for a manager!

"In the summer why didn't we get players in that are good at helping sides climb out of League 2?" Like Danny Rose, who won the league last season? Or Drew Talbot, who won L2 with Chesterfield a couple of years back? Right through our squad we have players who've experienced promotion, so I don't understand why you've brought that up. I'll admit I wish we had signed Danny Hylton as he is a very good striker for this level and we missed a trick on that one.

Like Rug says, I do enjoy some healthy debate. So long as it stays reasonable, it's all good fun... And thank you for looking out for me ;)

P.S. I think Cook all things considered has done a good job so far and because of that, I think the better option is to support him, rather than criticise everything he does. I don't think you can call that blue-tinted, considering I'm willing to pick out his faults too, but hey-ho.

I am surprised there hasn't been one "Great, Cook out!!!" post on this thread....

Maybe after Stubbsy, finishes work on Friday :-) (joking)

I understand people losing patience with Cook, our form hasn't been that consistant and some home performances have been toothless to say the least. But getting rid of him is not the answer, not by a long shot.

Let's take a step back and have a look at the clubs record over the last 6-7 years.

2009/10 - Prem - Finished Bottom (20th)
2010/11 - Champ - Finished 16th
2011/12 - Champ - Finished 22nd
2011/12 - L1 - Finished Bottom (24th)
2012/13 - L2 - Finished 13th
2013/14 - L2 - Finished 16th

During this time we went through Avram, Cotterill, Appleton, Whittingham, Barker and Awford - none of who lasted much longer than a single season.

Now we have a bit of stability, Cook is in his second season and after finishing in the play-offs last season we currently sit 4th, well on track for automatic promotion. He has built his very own squad (only Chaplin and Whatmough remain from the team he inherited) and is in my mind the best person to take us forward with the set of players he has brought in.

Let's face it, we're not going to get a big name manager in, and agree with FB that the experience in the side is enough to see us up. Of course every time a player moves from one club to another we'd like to be the ones on the receiving end, but I feel in Rose and Baker we've got two great signings this summer, as well as solid players like Smith, Clarke, Linganzi and Davies.

See the season out, in Cook we trust!

Fully agree, Frippy. Also worth mentioning the aside from Redknapp in the last 25 years, Cook has the best win ratio of any Pompey manager. He's taken us from a squad and team that was spiralling downwards and battling relegation to the Conference, to genuine challengers at the top end of the league - that on their day can play some great football and compete with anyone. Paul Cook's Blue & White Army! ;)

Looking at this thread, you actually see a nice blend of views and some crossing of the divide of reasons to keep / get rid of Cook....and that, I think, is where we are as a club. There are those positive fans who want to stick by Cookie, but are getting frustrated at tactics we can all see as not working necessarily in all situations, and there are others who don't like him, but grudgingly accept that he wins enough games to keep us in the Play off frame and thus, we can't touch him.

As a General manager, I have my stars and my hopefuls, and I try and treat my team like family, which has been a successful formula. However, I have been known to fire someone who considered me a close friend for 8 years shortly after joining my previous hotel..... I fired them because even though we were close friends, she wasn't a good fit for what I needed to succeed or the hotel to succeed.

Cookie has the right to run the team as he sees fit, because he is the manager. We have the right to get frustrated when results don't go our way - and those that watch the team week in and week out, pay a lot of money and have the right to voice those opinions.

Ultimately, I think it fair to say that if Cookie came out and said, "I understand the frustrations that many have, I read the boards and papers and I understand your views. However, I continue to believe.....blah blah". It would validate that he understands others have their opinion and further demonstrate why he has to make tough decisions every game. I think if we don't go up, then he won't be at Fratton park next season.

If we do go up, will those knocking him now, take back their negativity? No, because that isn't what the majority of Pompey fans do (let's be honest).

I get frustrated and have voiced my concerns; however, we are unlikely to change and therefore, like it or not, we have to get behind Cook.

Good points USPF - Pompey fans, like most are a fickle bunch. I guess I'm included.

I do tend to agree that his 'I'm right you're wrong I'll do it my way' approach does rub people up the wrong way. However, the fact we've got a manager that has a strong enough back bone to stand up to criticism and do it HIS way should be applauded.

You have to adapt sometimes - perhaps Cookie doesn't enough - but the fact the likes of Whittingham and Awford - bless, and love them both - didn't know what formation to go with and consistently chopped and changed this from week to week didn't do any favours. Awfs in particular had a formation he wanted BUT eventually bowed to the fans before returning to it after being unable to settle on anything else.

Invariably if a manager sticks to his guns it'll come right. If it doesn't and the results don't come they get the boot - consistency has been an issue but in fairness it's not like we've had a run of defeats at any time really is it!

Rug, what you said is valid and goes along with my comments to a degree. However, what I would ask is:

Should we play the same way every game, regardless, or should we be good enough to adapt our style to how the opposition will play against us?

When we went a man up against Mansfield, the complaint was that we didn't force the advantage, and only scored our extra three goals in the last 5 mins plus injury time. Had Mansfield got a freak breakaway after 83 minutes....would we then have settled for a draw if they had scored? Hypothetical, maybe, but based on the way we were playing, a justified query.

Today gives Pompey a great opportunity for attacking play, let's see what we do?

After a straw poll talking to many fans during and after yesterday's match the frustration grows.

Plus the reports of Cook's drinking habits and hang of hangers are now being validated on many fronts.

He need to give us a points target up to the Disaster match. Yesterday you would expect the points. We failed, simple as that, failed against a team that ships in loads of goals. We failed in having an aggressive attacking style.

Deep of your hearts you know I'm right and I respect your loyalty to cook. However, loyalty doesn't bring success. The close relationship between Catlin and Cook is unhealthy for the club, decisions need to be made based on business, not personal reasons.

Happy Christmas :77: :77:

I can also respect that you have a different opinion about Cook's managerial ability but when you start talking about these utterly ridiculous rumours and falsely say that they're being validated, that is when I lose all respect for you. Ask me, in this age of social media and when people in the eyes of the public domain can't get away with anything, why isn't there a picture of Cook doing all his supposed drinking? Shite like this is what is unhealthy for our club, not the working relationship between CEO and manager. Again whatever you say about Cook, he is a top guy. Did anyone take notice of this story? http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-boss-paul-cook-shows-his-lighter-side-1-7696493

FrattonBlue just because I'm not writing what you want to read doesn't mean you can get offensive and for that reason not having your respect is probably a good thing!

The 'rumours' are actual truths from many sources but you are within your rights to believe what you want. I'm not forcing you to do anything against your will.

You 'shite' comment - my post could have an impact on the club? I hope so, I want us to get promoted.

:16:

Since we came out of admin. the likes of Whittingham & Awford had to do with free transfers and low wages. Cook has had an endless amount of money to spend and has brought in a huge amount of players which has cost loads of money, he is also probably one of the highest paid managers in the lower divisions. Pompey are now almost out of sight of auto. promotion and we saw last season how good we are in play offs. Didn't even get to Wembley. How much longer are we going to put up with his endless excuses.? If we are still in League 2 next season I think a lot of loyal fans may well say, Had enough paying to watch that rubbish, I'll listen to the radio from now on.

I know we've had a bit more financial stability since Cook has come in, and I agree that he's probably on a better wage than others before him, probably as far back as Barker, who wasn't exactly setting the world alight despite his reputation at lower league level.

As for given endless amounts of money Lorna, I'm not sure where that has come from? Of our starting line up on Saturday, only 3 of them cost us any money; Roberts, Burgess and Smith. All the fees were undisclosed but it's unlikely that the total for these three was more than £650k, that's less than the money he got for selling Webster alone.

Our wage bill is undoubtedly higher now, I'm not ignoring that, but I do believe Cook has built a strong squad that has shown on it's day it is capable of competing with most teams in this league, but there is just something missing, and I don't think changing a manager will fix that at this point.

I'm not in the Cook Out camp, and I'm not in the Cookie is King camp either. I'm simply saying give the man time, changing our manager who has brought in nearly player in our squad will not do anything but harm our chances of promotion halfway through the season.

Nobody can say for sure what is going on behind the scenes, but let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt and get behind him, because it's very hard to get behind the club when you're hoping the manager will fail, that is something I will never agree with.

With 25 games to play this season, and no cup distractions, I honestly believe that our team is good enough to finish in an automatic promotion place. If we don't then let's reassess the situation, but not call for the man's head each time we draw at home.

Whatever debate we have it shouldn't EVER get personal - where better than that on this site guys! Yep, few in numbers but I'd rather than than a battle field of constant abuse like some others are.

In all fairness forums do struggle these days but I've always taken pride that we can have a rational debate on here without resulting to insults so lets ensure it remains that way - healthy and passionate debate yes please!

Like I posted in the Hartlepool thread...

I'm ALL in favour of continuity and think we'll benefit from this as opposed to constant changes.

That being said I DO think we can have that with some changes to personnel - unfortunately Cookie's stubbornness when selecting some of his 'favourite players' - yep, I know ALL managers have them - isn't doing him, or us, any favours.

It's clear to see a player or two doesn't merit that continual place in the side and Cookie needs to take the decision to drop them and remind them they're not invincible and have to warrant a place in this side on merit - like others have to that aren't being afforded a chance!

As for the money Cookie's on - yep, I too am sure he's on good money. Any manager would at Fratton Park. However, what we know is he's definitely - fact - on less than Exeter's Paul Tisdale, who is on an incredibly lucrative two-year rolling deal that the Grecians cannot afford to get him out of - he doesn't appear to want to leave either - and Pompey couldn't afford so I'm content we're not chucking money around any mroe.

Cookie's drinking is something I've heard about too although lets face it we've had a drinking culture at Pompey for years - perhaps not so much now. If he likes a drink I've no issue with that IF it doesn't impact on what happens at the club, which I don't think it has.

Patience and frustrations are growing - I think that would be the same WHOEVER was in charge and do think we need to take that 'grass isn't always greener' approach with Cookie.

If he doesn't deliver promotion this season - maybe we bite the bullet and move him on at the end the season. Probably the better time IF we're doing that as many contracts will also end so a new man could let go of the players he doesn't want whilst bringing in those he'll clearly want to.

End of the season is decision time and IF Cookie doesn't take us up it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't here next term - it also wouldn't surprise me too much if he walked...

I'm still in favour of him but must admit it's coming to a 50:50 think but I keep coming back to the 'who would do better' thoughts!