Overreaction? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Overreaction?

I'd be surprised if there are many who've not seen this clip from 'Saint a d Greavsie before but if you haven't had tbe pleasure

Maybe an overreaction to the Crawley game in isolation, but I think it’s a net build up of frustration at how poor this team consistently seems to play under any manager this season.

Clemence is the fall guy at the mo and it’s undoubtedly worse than under Harris, but they didn’t exactly set the world alight for him either did they?

The players deserve a lot more of the ire aimed at them than they are getting.

I honestly don’t think they care, I know it’s a job for most footballers in any squad in the 92. But this lot look particularly disinterested.

Maybe an overreaction to the Crawley game in isolation, but I think it’s a net build up of frustration at how poor this team consistently seems to play under any manager this season.

Clemence is the fall guy at the mo and it’s undoubtedly worse than under Harris, but they didn’t exactly set the world alight for him either did they?

The players deserve a lot more of the ire aimed at them than they are getting.

I honestly don’t think they care, I know it’s a job for most footballers in any squad in the 92. But this lot look particularly disinterested.
The defending is worse then under Harris, if you take yourself back and try to relive those early wins and losses, is it really worse? I read on here yesterday we were awful at Wrexham and Tranmere, I thought we played okay at Wrexham we gifted them an early lead but didn’t think there was much between both sides apart from putting the ball in the net. Next up Tranmere, we enjoyed huge amounts of possession first half and used the ball well, I was genuinely impressed and then of course we conceded and after that it was pretty poor. Tranmere are however on a really good run under their new management. Salford was as other have said a non event for forty five minutes but nothing dissimilar to what we’ve seen under Harris. Second half we attacked in numbers and looked decent, I’d argue we had not really seen that willingness under Harris. The Charlton performance was very good and we were unfortunate not to win by a more handsome margin. Then if memory serves me right we had a pause in the season after the barrow cancellation, I thought this would benefit us giving Clemence more time to work with the players, I’m not sure what happened because such improvements weren’t evident. Wimbledon a free scoring side and on a decent run, the game between both sides was quite poor with little actually happening but we won, then onto Bradford, forest green and Crawley, I genuinely think we had the most of all three games but once again didn’t look remotely like scoring, in both losses we have handed the opposition gifts by faffing about with it in front of or inside our eighteen yard box. We have become a soft touch whilst trying to be more expansive and yet we still can’t score even in-spite of this. If you think back to the opening four games we were a long way from being good, good defensively and rode our luck at times but that’s where it ends.

It’s very unlikely that the squad as a whole don’t care.

What I think is more likely:

- low confidence (leads to poor body language)
- lack of purpose (up to Clemence to drill this in to them)
- uncertainty - transfer window opens very soon

I would be surprised if there aren’t a couple of bad eggs in the squad. This will amplify any negativity and dampen positivity.
Let’s hope any are identified and shipped out.

I do also think we have a few overpaid players (we had to resort to desperate measures going into the January transfer window with no prior preparation and to save EFL status). Being overpaid can adversely affect hunger levels taking away that ‘edge’ as players get comfortable.

When I played football (at a shit level) I always cared and gave my best but that ‘best’ was better the hungrier I was.

I agree but only in the league games, cup matches this lot have looked excellent and really up for it but not bothered in the league.
Why is that?
Are they on a big cup bonus?