Overreaction? | Vital Football

Overreaction?

daveycrocket

Vital Squad Member
to the Crawley game? I think so. Worst team in all the years he's been supporting Gills one said, none of them look like they're even trying another said etc etc. Did they see the work rate Johnny Williams put in? Do they forget how great we were beating Salford 3-1 recently which could have been 5 or 6-1. Likewise Charlton, 2-0 against a team from a higher division where again it could easily have been 5 or 6. Those players don't become bad over night.
A mate who's a neutral who came along to the Crawley game said he couldn't believe how dominant Gills were in the 2nd half and hadn't won. We played some neat football and totally dominated but as usual we can't score; a mixture of our strikers not good enough, a bit of bad luck and their keeper giving a man of the match performance (as a brief glance at Crawley's message board will tell you). The stats for the game were Gills 64% possession, 16 shots to their 8, 8 corners to their 1, the difference being a nightmare mistake from Malone and a breakaway freak deflected goal. If we can get a decent striker with possibly 1 or 2 more in the window I'm sure we'll be fine.
Football's a funny old game as someone once said. Wimbledon who have been buzzing lately, lost at home to Sutton on Boxing Day who were rock bottom and lost 8-0 last time out. I wonder what their fans are saying.

On another day we could have scored a few as well. It could have gone different but I think the frustration of yet another blank got the better of people yesterday. Certainly put a dampener on the rest of the day for me.

We had the lions share of possession and importantly also created a lot of chances yesterday. That’s a positive.

Good opinion piece.

Frustration at the inconsistency is what is fuelling the reaction, or overreaction in your opinion.

Have a look at the stats for Harris's last game, and that was away from home, but a lot of posters on here thought it was an awful performance:

Stats don't win you games, as we all know. If you want to criticise it will be "their chances were better than ours" or "their shots were harder than ours" or "I can't remember those shots".

We apparently don't create enough, or any, clear cut chances and yet Bonne was apparently missing a couple of sitters every game when he became the new scapegoat. How does that work? Who knows.

Above all, the excitement and entertainment now needs to be hyped up, even if it is at the expense of results.

But what is certain is that Colburn is still bored.;)

If it were just one game though, Davey, yes it would be an overreaction.

The first half v Salford was a total non-event, we were rotten for the majority of the Wimbledon game and we actually won those!

Wrexham and Tranmere away we were terrible, Bradford at home ditto, Forest Green was as aimless and toothless a performance as I've seen in years and we were toothless again yesterday.

We got sold the idea of a new dawn and we've got one decent performance against a totally disinterested Charlton to show for it.

Agree Herr but that what happens when you bin a successful manager mid season and then try to play with a Complete new style with an untried manager.

That’s done now though so we need patience with the new system.

I agree with your post Davey apart from the “could easily have scored 5 or 6 against Salford or Charlton” because in reality the team has shown it’s not good enough to score that many goals against anyone. The reason we didn’t score 5/6 goals is the players we have aren’t good enough in front of goal. The 3 goals scored vs Salford has been shown to be the aberration, not the norm or a case that on another day 6 would have gone in.

Agree Herr but that what happens when you bin a successful manager mid season and then try to play with a Complete new style with an untried manager.

Agreed, woeful timing of that particular decision though.

I also agree that we will need patience with this mysterious new system, we fans don't know what it is and the players don't seem to know what it is on the evidence displayed so far, I'm beginning to wonder whether SC knows what it is either.

I'm insulating myself against further misery by writing this season off already and hoping we can use the back half of the campaign to finally root out this goalscoring issue that's dogged us for YEARS.

Supporting a football team is a repository for frustrations as well as a source of them. Most of us indulge our furies on match day and then regain our normal operating level of quiet pessimism over the next 24 hours. Before you know where you are, you catch yourself thinking Friday may be better and, who knows, it might.

Supporting a football team is a repository for frustrations as well as a source of them. Most of us indulge our furies on match day and then regain our normal operating level of quiet pessimism over the next 24 hours. Before you know where you are, you catch yourself thinking Friday may be better and, who knows, it might.

Spot on. Less than 24 hours after getting home from the grot at Forest Green I was checking Google Maps to see how long it would take me to get to Colchester.

Thankfully, yesterday has put pay to that ridiculous notion.

to the Crawley game? I think so. Worst team in all the years he's been supporting Gills one said, none of them look like they're even trying another said etc etc. Did they see the work rate Johnny Williams put in? Do they forget how great we were beating Salford 3-1 recently which could have been 5 or 6-1. Likewise Charlton, 2-0 against a team from a higher division where again it could easily have been 5 or 6. Those players don't become bad over night.
A mate who's a neutral who came along to the Crawley game said he couldn't believe how dominant Gills were in the 2nd half and hadn't won. We played some neat football and totally dominated but as usual we can't score; a mixture of our strikers not good enough, a bit of bad luck and their keeper giving a man of the match performance (as a brief glance at Crawley's message board will tell you). The stats for the game were Gills 64% possession, 16 shots to their 8, 8 corners to their 1, the difference being a nightmare mistake from Malone and a breakaway freak deflected goal. If we can get a decent striker with possibly 1 or 2 more in the window I'm sure we'll be fine.
Football's a funny old game as someone once said. Wimbledon who have been buzzing lately, lost at home to Sutton on Boxing Day who were rock bottom and lost 8-0 last time out. I wonder what their fans are saying.
On reflection perhaps, im torn because I wanted to see much more. We weren’t under the cosh for the entirety nor were they peppering our goal with shots and we weren’t clearing our lines continually, so in that sense probably an overreaction. The frustration comes from seeing aside devoid of ideas, and this is a frustration that we’ve had to endure for too long. We just can’t connect the dots when going forward and when looking at our squad that seems criminal.

I’ve been watching Gills since 1988 and the only successful manager we have binned in that time was Pulis.

If a relegation followed by lowest scoring record in history is your idea of success, then you should be delighted with current form.

Overreaction to one game for sure. Its not one game though, it follows on from a series of games that have been poor. We made a managerial change to change our fortunes. Its not worked (so far) I think that's what people are reacting to.

Football is an emotional rollercoaster. I would hate it for people to say "never mind, it doesn't really matter when we lose".

Thought I’d watch back the highlights and interesting and telling that the commenter was asking how are Gillingham not winning this never mind drawing at one down. During the game the had wife said it’s been a while since I was jumping out of my seat so much. On another day…

The reaction has come from the fact that every team in every division seems to find scoring goals easier than we do. Supporters might put up with that for a few games but for more than 2 seasons ? A lot of us really have had enough of it. The lack of even an average number of goals is killing the club. How many kids who have seen the tripe dished up lately are going to want to return ? How will we ever create a bigger supporter base unless we can do something about it ? I see teams at National South level and below that look more dangerous than we do. How many times yesterday were we actually in or even near the opposition penalty area ? In the 1st half, hardly ever. I agree it was better in the 2nd half but even then there wasn’t an extended period of pressure that might have yielded a goal. It broke down too frequently for that. Possession is fine but it only counts if it’s in the opposition’s final third, not ours.

On reflection perhaps, im torn because I wanted to see much more. We weren’t under the cosh for the entirety nor were they peppering our goal with shots and we weren’t clearing our lines continually, so in that sense probably an overreaction. The frustration comes from seeing aside devoid of ideas, and this is a frustration that we’ve had to endure for too long. We just can’t connect the dots when going forward and when looking at our squad that seems criminal.
The strange thing is that when we played Crawley away the stats heavily favoured them and most acknowledged our win was a bit of a "smash and grab".

All the stats were opposite yesterday and yet the opposite has not been said by many.

Here’s my concern
We don’t appear to have any system
We train as professionals four or five days a week yet rarely try anything different from a set piece
Given that Clemence has spent quite a few years coaching without the distraction of managing a football club, you’d think that he would know exactly what he wants the players to do and how to get that across.
For example, when I played, all be it at a much lower level, the coach would drum into us exactly what he expected at set pieces.
From a corner to the near post, player A stood here, player B ran there, etc.
A different routine to the far post and so on.
Gills players appear clueless with no direction. Either they don’t train properly or are ignoring instructions.
Statistically, we are extremely poor from set pieces.
Don’t even get me started on free kicks.

The strange thing is that when we played Crawley away the stats heavily favoured them and most acknowledged our win was a bit of a "smash and grab".

All the stats were opposite yesterday and yet the opposite has not been said by many.
Yep, it was a smash and grab yesterday…….and against Bradford City…….and against Newport County.,…….and against Notts County. In all those cases our stats haven’t been bad except in the one that actually counts.

After my pissed off post yesterday on the match thread (pretty much as soon as the final whistle went) I have read a lot of comments, both on here and KoL, watched the post match interviews and taken stock a little.
A few things from my perspective;

-We appear to have started the usual manager replacent cycle that really does not work. I wasn't sad to see NH go, although the timing DID surprise me. If the club thought he was the right man in the summer then he still should have been after 11 games, barring gross misconduct.
But what we have now is a new man in, and people saying he needs this upcoming window and the summer to get his own players. Then, if there is still no clear improvement after 10 games of next season, we get rid and the whole process starts again. Fucking madness. I feel we have chosen SC and therefore need to stick with him.

-The "new direction". Those that say it's not evident are either not truthful or really have no idea of the game (IMO). Whilst it is frustrating at the moment we do see smatterings of "keeping the ball", possession stats are up, VERY occasionally we do see some nice passages of play. The problem being they are few and far between, and also, crucially at this moment in time, are not resulting in goals, so it's easy to forget them. Maybe the more time SC gets to work with the players the more these passages will outnumber the aimless hoofs, the fannying around on the edge of the box, and the unsure of what to do air that some of the players have sometimes.

-2 up front yesterday (although more a 1-1 of course) was pleasing to see pre match. I hope we persist with it. Although currently it doesn't seem to matter what system we play, and with whom, the confidence looks shot. We can't buy a goal from anywhere. Although I have some sympathy with SC when he says "at least we created yesterday". AN should have shot instead of passing to Dieng. His woeful touch round the keeper that went off. Conor had two good chances (1 ruled out for offside). Great low unhanded save from Jonny Williams. Im sure there were others that I can't recall ATM. BUT, the main thing is we need to build on this and carry on on Friday from the first minute. We/the players/staff/opposition all know that going a goal down is pretty much game over. We simply MUST start offensively and with intensity from the off.

-As others have said, Malone needs a rest. he looks the shadow of his early season form. It's almost as if he is great to have around when all is going well and we're top of the league. But where is the leadership from him when things aren't going well? If he HAS got the hump with the whole manager situation (not sure I see that personally) then he should leave as it is damaging us and poor old Max Clark too.

Im sure there was other things I wanted to write, but that's enough to bore you all at the moment.

The goal scoring problem was clear to see when our central defender, Masterson, had the most shots at their goal. As for the game plan, surely, when 2-0 down with 5 minutes left it is time to get the ball forward ASAP.
Personally I think we have some quality individuals but as a team we are well off the pace.
Half Term Report: D minus.
I expected us to be hovering between 3rd & 7th not 14th at the half way stage. Still a long way to go, 4 points off the play-offs. Hopefully we can add recruits in January and start finding the net.

Keep the faith - COYG