Our support | Vital Football

Our support

Buddha

Vital Football Hero
Is really pissing me off.

Unrealistic expectations, unfair/harsh assessments of our performances, lack of patience, moronic nationalism, booing the team.

Away from home we take impressive numbers and so often i'm proud of us/them.

But generally it seems that a lot of our supporters have developed some ridiculous sense of entitlement. It's embarrassing and it ain't Gills.

I'm proud of our owners and our away support. They deserve better.

Would not boo the team.

Not proud of this team though. Least likeable I've ever known and I've seen multiple relegations.

Too many wage thiefs. For example, Mahoney should be ashamed at not being a regular at this level

Whilst there are plenty of miserable old gits, my age and above who would still moan even if we won the league, it's the younger fans that seem different today.
In these times of short attention spans and the desire for instant gratification younger fans seem far less tolerant and patient than we were back in the day.
I've seen kids walk out on the hour when we go a goal down. I hear them boo when I think we have had a decent game but not won. Worst I hear them abusing players who make a mistake.
It mighf be because I sit in the middle of the RE and criticism is amplified because for most of my supporting life the RE has represented those of us who give most actual noisy support.
Cat calling and abuse are not helpful to a side needing all the help they can get but of course fans pay money and some expect a win and fabulous entertainment for their investment.
Maybe I've just become old enough for the tranquility of the the GRS.

Is really pissing me off.

Unrealistic expectations, unfair/harsh assessments of our performances, lack of patience, moronic nationalism, booing the team.

Away from home we take impressive numbers and so often i'm proud of us/them.

But generally it seems that a lot of our supporters have developed some ridiculous sense of entitlement. It's embarrassing and it ain't Gills.
Sorry, but sums you up. More concerned about “our support” and some irrelevant comment about “nationalism” than the performance of the team (some of the highest paid in the division) I would add. If the team cared half as much as some of us, we’d be doing a lot better.

Cat calling and abuse are not helpful to a side needing all the help they can get but of course fans pay money and some expect a win and fabulous entertainment for their investment.
Don’t disagree that abuse does not help the team, but it works both ways. The team need to get the crowd going too and they are not fulfilling their part of the bargain.

How long does something have to be the way it is before it becomes a Gills thing?

AFAIC we've had a sense of entitlement ever since we got relegated from the Champ in 2005

Don’t disagree that abuse does not help the team, but it works both ways. The team need to get the crowd going too and they are not fulfilling their part of the bargain.

Agree, the team can help get the crowd going. But it’s when the team is not going well that they need even more support. Not abuse and booing. What exactly does that aim to achieve?

I said elsewhere about seeing a vid of a game from the early 2000’s, but equally applicable when I was in attendance in the 70‘s and 80’s. Leeds went 1-0 up in this game and immediately all you could hear was Gills fans singing straight away. They drowned out even Leeds supporters who had just scored FFS.

What happens when the current side go 1-0 down? Any singing? Any “support”? It appears it’s just silence or abuse, mockery and booing. I hope what I’m hearing is not always correct.

We increasingly seem to have a crowd of customers and critics rather than “supporters”. Maybe it’s the same at all clubs now. I had a little taste in person back in 2017. And the difference from what I was used to back in the day was stark. Decent when we were ahead in both games. Toxic and abusive as soon as the other side scored. Not one scrap of support or urging the team on. True case of “You only sing when you’re winning” 🎶

(Edit to add I read LSB2 say the booing was aimed at the ref. Also not good, but not at the team would be nice if true).

As for people getting on Turners back. Christ. How will that help? Could help destroy a decent young keepers development.

I'm proud of our owners and our away support. They deserve better.

Would not boo the team.

Not proud of this team though. Least likeable I've ever known and I've seen multiple relegations.

Too many wage thiefs. For example, Mahoney should be ashamed at not being a regular at this level
That's stupid, most of us where I sit are mystified as to why he's not being picked, he's the most skilful and creative player we have, it's not his fault he's not being picked. Why should he be ashamed that SC sees it differently, SC is the one who should be ashamed.

Sorry, but sums you up. More concerned about “our support” and some irrelevant comment about “nationalism” than the performance of the team (some of the highest paid in the division) I would add. If the team cared half as much as some of us, we’d be doing a lot better.

Our team is doing alright.

You sum up everything I'm complaining about.

Stick your nationalism where the sun don't shine.

Agree, the team can help get the crowd going. But it’s when the team is not going well that they need even more support. Not abuse and booing. What exactly does that aim to achieve?

I said elsewhere about seeing a vid of a game from the early 2000’s, but equally applicable when I was in attendance in the 70‘s and 80’s. Leeds went 1-0 up in this game and immediately all you could hear was Gills fans singing straight away. They drowned out even Leeds supporters who had just scored FFS.

What happens when the current side go 1-0 down? Any singing? Any “support”? It appears it’s just silence or abuse, mockery and booing. I hope what I’m hearing is not always correct.

We increasingly seem to have a crowd of customers and critics rather than “supporters”. Maybe it’s the same at all clubs now. I had a little taste in person back in 2017. And the difference from what I was used to back in the day was stark. Decent when we were ahead in both games. Toxic and abusive as soon as the other side scored. Not one scrap of support or urging the team on. True case of “You only sing when you’re winning” 🎶

(Edit to add I read LSB2 say the booing was aimed at the ref. Also not good, but not at the team would be nice if true).

As for people getting on Turners back. Christ. How will that help? Could help destroy a decent young keepers development.

Well said, OSK.

Exactly that about getting behind the team, especially when we go behind. Used to be the case that as soon as we'd conceded there'd be a chorus of "Come On the Gills, Come On..."

You are however referring to an FA Cup game where we were a league below a Premier League side that had reached the Semi-Finals of the Champions League the previous season. Cup game atmospheres are always different to league games. The only other home league game we played against Leeds in the "early" 2000s we took the lead and won 2-1.

That's stupid, most of us where I sit are mystified as to why he's not being picked, he's the most skilful and creative player we have, it's not his fault he's not being picked. Why should he be ashamed that SC sees it differently, SC is the one who should be ashamed.
He's a frustrating player, undoubtedly skillful but I'm not sure he's been as effective as you might hope with his ability so I'm not too put out by his exclusion.

But the quickness by some to label players as not trying, embarrassing, not fit to wear the shirt, etc. is as pathetic and counterproductive as it is lazy.

I think most of the boos were aimed at the ref… Most people clapped the team off last night, and the team came over and applauded us too.

Pleased to hear that, LSB2.

Didn't think the ref was great but no where near the worst we've had. Far better than the one at Newport.

You are however referring to an FA Cup game where we were a league below a Premier League side that had reached the Semi-Finals of the Champions League the previous season. Cup game atmospheres are always different to league games. The only other home league game we played against Leeds in the "early" 2000s we took the lead and won 2-1.

Doesn’t take away from the fact “back in the day” a goal scored by the opposition was always met with the RE belting out “Come on you Gills” or similar and trying (Not always succeeding) to raise the spirits around the place.

Does anything like that happen now? I’ve not heard it on iFollow. It sounds like silence and moaning. And my sample in person a few years ago was a very toxic atmosphere as soon as we conceded. Our crowd in both games I saw “turned” immediately and hurled horrible abuse at players, manager (JED, who’d recently got us to top of L1) and obviously Scally. It wasn’t just moaning and being depressed. It was toxic. No other word.

Maybe that is similar at all clubs now. From social media it sounds quite similar at Donny, Bradford and Swindon to name a few. Depressing.

Pleased to hear that, LSB2.

Didn't think the ref was great but no where near the worst we've had. Far better than the one at Newport.
I agree. I was bewildered to hear boos. God knows what the Stockport fans made of it, a team booed off apparently for failing to beat the league leaders

Doesn’t take away from the fact “back in the day” a goal scored by the opposition was always met with the RE belting out “Come on you Gills” or similar and trying (Not always succeeding) to raise the spirits around the place.

Does anything like that happen now? I’ve not heard it on iFollow. It sounds like silence and moaning. And my sample in person a few years ago was a very toxic atmosphere as soon as we conceded. Our crowd in both games I saw “turned” immediately and hurled horrible abuse at players, manager (JED, who’d recently got us to top of L1) and obviously Scally. It wasn’t just moaning and being depressed. It was toxic. No other word.

Maybe that is similar at all clubs now. From social media it sounds quite similar at Donny, Bradford and Swindon to name a few. Depressing.
The pattern these days is a good atmosphere at the start which soon dissipates into silence. Then as we never turn up in the first half the moaning starts which gets worse when the oppo score. Second half Gills up the tempo towards the RE, atmosphere improves and is really good if we score. But if everything peters out or the oppo score again it's back to moaning. It is a two way street that the players' performance will spur on the fans and vice versa but it seems to me the unconditional support you're referring to and indeed the feelgood factor support generated by the Gallinsons initially has gone, or is at least buried under the surface at the moment

Is it just us though ? Folk from other clubs, maybe society in general, i dunno, seem to expect instant positive results and rapidly apply blame when success is unforthcoming. Win at all costs, no time for runners-up. Some of the rage i`ve witnessed from GFC fans at away games this season has been baffling, not to mention disappointing. I`ve also seen it at other clubs.

Understandable to be disappointed and vent some frustration on forums, but loud, venomous booing and rage directed at players and management (or owners) is self defeating and is certainly not supporting the Club.

Some people need to calm down, enjoy their Mars bar at half time and look forward, hopefully and supportively, to the next game. That`s lower league football. If that fit isn`t for win-at-all-cost folk, maybe they`d be better off sticking to Sky Sports and the Premier bandwagon deliveroo-culture that hands success direct to your armchair !

Tbf against Walsall there definitely was a positive response from the RE when we went one down and it appeared to motivate the players too.

Agree the general sentiments about our fanbase though, we definitely have an entitled fanbase