Our Fishy Friends | Page 50 | Vital Football

Our Fishy Friends

They (Scunny) are a total shambles, thank God it was only a handshake between him and Bob.
And reminds me of the old saying, never shake hands with a ******, you don't know where it's been.

We swerved one there, good job Swann showed Bob he was total untrustworthy scumbag sooner rather than later.

Meanwhile:

Grimsby Town are fronting a proposal to the EFL arguing against relegation to non-league, Southend United’s chairman has said.
The two clubs though have submitted a proposal to the EFL, which will be heard at a meeting next week.
Town and Southend are said to be unhappy at the circumstances surrounding their relegations, with the National League not relegating teams to the North and South divisions after they were curtailed, but still promoting two teams to League Two.

Meanwhile:

Grimsby Town are fronting a proposal to the EFL arguing against relegation to non-league, Southend United’s chairman has said.
The two clubs though have submitted a proposal to the EFL, which will be heard at a meeting next week.
Town and Southend are said to be unhappy at the circumstances surrounding their relegations, with the National League not relegating teams to the North and South divisions after they were curtailed, but still promoting two teams to League Two.
Are they being serious?

National League North and South were cancelled, so there can be no relegation/promotion between them.

The National League itself played on, as did the league above them, so there can be relegation/promotion between them.

That isn't difficult for most people to understand. Perhaps they are no brighter in Southend than they are in Grimsby. Talk about desperation!

Meanwhile:

You can't blame them for trying I suppose. I have noticed that bet365, and I guess all the others, haven't had a market for relegation out of L2 for months now so I've always suspected something must be going on behind the scenes.

How sad would that be for the National League? What would have been the purpose of the last nine months, then? It would inflict serious damage to the integrity of the competition (and to the EFL) and must not be allowed to succeed.

Then surely the likes of Torquay, Hartlepool, Sutton etc will counter that as they've been playing for promotion to the EFL?

Clutching at straws but if you don't try etc........
Let's not forget that Stevenage were 23rd when last season finished but appealed those penalty points against Macclesfield being held back and won, so who knows. As others have said though the arguments from those at the top of the National League will be far stronger

The absolute best they can hope for is for the FL to make L2 26 teams next season, but even that is a long shot I think.

A 26 team league would have to fit an extra 4 fixtures in... good luck with that. On The other hand, there's no ethical argument to not promote 1st place and the play off winner but keep the two worst teams in league two up

For me its a non starter and to be honest, slightly embarrassing.

I agree. This is tantamount to saying that the two best teams in the National League do not deserve to be in the Football League but the two worst teams in the Football League somehow do; as if they have earned their place in the League but those National League teams who have fought tooth and nail to get there have not. Insulting to Torquay, Sutton and the rest.

So Grimsby can object to the ESL on the grounds that it strikes at the heart of what gives sport its integrity ('earn it on merit') and launch a Big Six shirt amnesty in response, yet somehow they think it is perfectly alright to stop Hartlepool, Torquay, Sutton and the rest earning it on merit? Presumably they will now be launching a Grimsby Town shirt amnesty instead?

This happened no end in the 90s when quite a few of the conference champions weren't promoted due to their grounds not being good enough.
As Scotimp says at no point have the sides chasing promotion been told they wouldn't be going up, it's disgusting

This proposal is being given a wide berth by Southend fans...many find their chairman ‘Ron the con’ an embarrassment and his actions since their relegation was confirmed have not helped.
His proposal to let Grimsby and Southend off the hook this season and then relegate four teams next season is ludicrous. Imagine finishing fourth from bottom next season but being relegated just so Southend and Grimsby can breathe easier. I have heard of being delusional but this is just another level.
Southend are in their position because of Martin - his continuous inability to pay the bills whether it’s players or HMRC has left them an unattractive proposition and his inability to be honest in business and as a person has bitten him massively.

Not sure how no NL relegation should impact two EFL team to be relegated.

If there was no promotion from the NL then they'd have a good case but there is. 26 teams isn't going to be voted in because of the extra games but also because any solidarity payments would then have to be split 26 ways instead of 24 (although without knowing the figures, you could argue that some/all (depending on the Club) will be recouped with two extra home games.