Other Games 23/24 | Page 67 | Vital Football

Other Games 23/24

Is that accurate?

So going into this round the coefficients were very close between Eng and Ger. UEFA had us as 90% chance of getting the 5th CL place because we had 5 teams left in the 3 comps and they had only 3. Therefore our average would end up higher and we'd get the place. That's also because it is equal weighting for all 3 comps and no bias to the CL. Italy are clear in 1st place for the other spot for that reason.

Then the English teams went all Spursy, especially Liverpool who lost 3-0 at home. We now have BM and Dortmund through and Arsenal and City out. So there's 3 teams left each going into tonight. Liverpool are 3-0 down and Hammers are 2-0 down.....against German side Leverkusen. Villa have a 2-1 lead but play away tonight.

The fat lady hasn't sung yet though. If the 3 English teams, especially Hammers, can overturn their deficits, I guess we still have a chance.

So going into this round the coefficients were very close between Eng and Ger. UEFA had us as 90% chance of getting the 5th CL place because we had 5 teams left in the 3 comps and they had only 3. Therefore our average would end up higher and we'd get the place. That's also because it is equal weighting for all 3 comps and no bias to the CL. Italy are clear in 1st place for the other spot for that reason.

Then the English teams went all Spursy, especially Liverpool who lost 3-0 at home. We now have BM and Dortmund through and Arsenal and City out. So there's 3 teams left each going into tonight. Liverpool are 3-0 down and Hammers are 2-0 down.....against German side Leverkusen. Villa have a 2-1 lead but play away tonight.

The fat lady hasn't sung yet though. If the 3 English teams, especially Hammers, can overturn their deficits, I guess we still have a chance.
Good summary. As per my previous post, let's forget about it, all the ifs and but's won't all happen, but if we qualify in fourth place on merit, that will be a very worthwhile achievement, albeit we are more ready for Europa than CL at this stage.

With West Ham and Liverpool more than likely going out tonight, there is approximately zero chance of fifth place getting a Champions League spot.
Europa League is more likely although i wouldn't hold up much hope of us doing anything in that competition. We have been unable to navigate our way through a 41 game season. How will we cope with Europe as well.

Good summary. As per my previous post, let's forget about it, all the ifs and but's won't all happen, but if we qualify in fourth place on merit, that will be a very worthwhile achievement, albeit we are more ready for Europa than CL at this stage.

I thought I read somewhere that once Italy and Germany are in, they have a greater chance of keeping the places than England do of gaining them. I think it is because the 5th place side in their leagues is still stronger than a lot of the teams from the smaller nations that get admitted. They won't lose their places.

It actually riles me that weaker leagues like BL and Ser A are getting a place because of a biased UEFA coefficient. The PL is way stronger. As one of the clubs that hovers around this level, Spurs had a high chance of losing out financially over a multi-year period.

Whether we like it or not, we now need every English team to do well in Europe moving forward until we get the 5th place via the coefficient.

Europa League is more likely although i wouldn't hold up much hope of us doing anything in that competition. We have been unable to navigate our way through a 41 game season. How will we cope with Europe as well.
That's unfair, we have navigated it to an extent, context is very important, and we cannot simply forget the huge impact international disruptions along with a massive injury list to key players at various times has had on us, and to some extent still is.

That's unfair, we have navigated it to an extent, context is very important, and we cannot simply forget the huge impact international disruptions along with a massive injury list to key players at various times has had on us, and to some extent still is.

It's also flawed logic. A realistic long run in the EL/ECL will generate way more games than a realistic short run in the CL until December.

With West Ham and Liverpool more than likely going out tonight, there is approximately zero chance of fifth place getting a Champions League spot.
Oh HH still got that Hat on then! lol!

How is your kin holding out mate?

Over the years we have always been considered as a cup side. Not good or consistent enough to mount a title challenge but good enough on our day to beat anyone and win a cup.

I think with our new set up under Ange the opposite is more likely. I see us being consistently in the top 4 or 5 but less likely to win a cup.

Even if we batter a side in the cup, we (at some point) are likely to come up against a manager who on the day we set his team up to have 20% possession but defend well and nick a winner on the break.

I can never understand the attitude that some spurs fans have with looking down at the Europa league. My view is, you can't look down on a competition that you have never won.

EXACTLY...you can't talk shit until you actually win something....and we sure as hell haven't in a LONG TIME.

Oh HH still got that Hat on then! lol!

How is your kin holding out mate?
All good thank you Pompey. Unfortunately though if West Ham and Liverpool go out tonight, then it will be officially all over for fifth place qualifying.
I was being a bit tongue in cheek re the Europa League. If we take it seriously, we have a chance of winning it. All depends on who our new manger is though and whether they rate the competition!!!!!

I can never understand the attitude that some spurs fans have with looking down at the Europa league. My view is, you can't look down on a competition that you have never won.

Getting either is a win-win as far as I'm concerned.

What the CL might do is accelerate our outcome. That could be taking the additional cashflow and building a better and more competitive side under Ange. It could also mean that Ange's tactics get exposed at the highest level and he fails faster. Either is a fair outcome that fans shouldn't be worried about.

The big upside of the EL is that it might accelerate the progress of some younger players and is a chance to really embed the philosophy through the entire squad. You can definitely tweak the side differently in this competition.

It's a massive downside for the active supporters who lose all their Sunday's again.

Getting either is a win-win as far as I'm concerned.

What the CL might do is accelerate our outcome. That could be taking the additional cashflow and building a better and more competitive side under Ange. It could also mean that Ange's tactics get exposed at the highest level and he fails faster. Either is a fair outcome that fans shouldn't be worried about.

The big upside of the EL is that it might accelerate the progress of some younger players and is a chance to really embed the philosophy through the entire squad. You can definitely tweak the side differently in this competition.

It's a massive downside for the active supporters who lose all their Sunday's again.
I never really get the Saturday/Sunday local fan complaints other that from a cultural point of view. Often I find the KO times of matches on Sunday easier when I'm in London. Then for away games train timetables are a shithshow regardless of the game day. Its the Monday games that would frustrate me more.