Other Games 23/24 | Page 53 | Vital Football

Other Games 23/24

But nowhere near as big as referees ignoring the very laws of the game that they are put on the pitch to administer. Not giving obvious yellow cards is right up there with the biggest game changer in my opinion.
Yet there is nothing worse for the flow of a game than a trigger happy ref. Challenges that were once shrugged off now see players falling at the slightest touch and writhing in theatrical agony. They actively connive to get opponents booked and weak refs fall for it.

But nowhere near as big as referees ignoring the very laws of the game that they are put on the pitch to administer. Not giving obvious yellow cards is right up there with the biggest game changer in my opinion.
The biggest weaknesses in our production of good refs is in my opinion what is seemingly an innate inability to spot obvious diving / amateur dramatics that persuades the ref (God knows how) to give game changing decisions.

Yet there is nothing worse for the flow of a game than a trigger happy ref. Challenges that were once shrugged off now see players falling at the slightest touch and writhing in theatrical agony. They actively connive to get opponents booked and weak refs fall for it.

Yeah, the physical stuff is not really what I'm talking about. In fact, I miss the 50:50 challenges with the intent of both players playing the ball. No foul, no rolling around the floor and definitely neither player showing pain. Wouldn't we all love to teach this current generation how to behave in the physical aspects of the game?

I'm talking about the professional fouls that should be immediate yellow. The horrible dark arts that have crept in more and more over the years. The way teams break up play and stop you from getting into a rhythm. I would brandish a yellow for a single shirt pull, a deliberate trip, any player not trying to put one foot in front of the other and feigning a five etc.

The Unai Emery's of this world would have to have a serious rethink about their strategy.

The biggest weaknesses in our production of good refs is in my opinion what is seemingly an innate inability to spot obvious diving / amateur dramatics that persuades the ref (God knows how) to give game changing decisions.

Is it product, discovery or even nurturing though? The whole point of PGMOL at the turn of the milenium was to have a system that cast the net over hundreds of officials and make sure the best became elite and paid.

As you know, I do watch step 5 football. I do see some refs who I believe are more competent using their naked eye plus judgment versus the elite ones.

Is it product, discovery or even nurturing though? The whole point of PGMOL at the turn of the milenium was to have a system that cast the net over hundreds of officials and make sure the best became elite and paid.

As you know, I do watch step 5 football. I do see some refs who I believe are more competent using their naked eye plus judgment versus the elite ones.
Good question and I don't pay enough attention to how ref's are brought on to comment. But for me it's a clear and present danger to the game.

You only have to look at the Havertz incident against Brentford. They have in restrospect decided he should have been shown a second yellow for simulation, something that was clear to everyone except the referee apparently, but stayed on the pitch and scored the Gooners winner robbing Brentford of a point and City and Liverpool of a 2 point better advantage over them in the title race.

As I've said Refs can and may be the decisive factor in who wins, the league.
Is it any coincidence that City won the league last year but also were awarded most pens, similarly those in the top 3 this, season are again right up there in pens awarded.
As I've said that's darws turning into wins or losses turning into draws.
That's, without even looking at soft free kicks.

Did anyone else think Brazil was offside in the move that led to their goal? Looked like two players were offside when the first through-ball of the move was delivered.
Yes mate , they both looked well offside ..
then about ten minutes later we got another photo showing one of them wasn’t .
Weird .

The goal scorer WAS offside in the move leading up to the goal , but wasn’t when he put the ball in the net .
He was offside when we saw the second photo .

Strange LAWS … makes the game so much more interesting doesn’t it .

If was a dire performance , if that is the best we can do , we have no chance .

The ref was a standout performer as well.
How those two in Brazils midfield stayed on the pitch I do not know .

As I've said Refs can and may be the decisive factor in who wins, the league.
Is it any coincidence that City won the league last year but also were awarded most pens, similarly those in the top 3 this, season are again right up there in pens awarded.
As I've said that's darws turning into wins or losses turning into draws.
That's, without even looking at soft free kicks.
At the moment the majority of referees in the PL are guilty of bringing the game on disrepute .

As a serious question ,can you name me a referee who you think will give a fair and true application of the Laws of the game to all incidents on and off the pitch .

Remember that rules are made to be broken , but we don’t have rules in Association Football.. they are LAWS .

Did anyone else think Brazil was offside in the move that led to their goal? Looked like two players were offside when the first through-ball of the move was delivered.
Geof! I think what you had there was the nipper who eventually scored was offside, but not interfering, had the same 3 times v the Chavs.
This way of thinking is encouraging goal hanging.

The geyser who went through wasn't offside he was being played on by our Left Back, forget his name lol!

That's what I saw anyway.