Other Clubs News Discussion Thread 2 | Page 1611 | Vital Football

Other Clubs News Discussion Thread 2

Southgate staying is not the worst thing to happen to England. We’ve seen some of the best results since Bobby Robson under him. The football hasn’t been scintillating but England have won a few vital games, qualified routinely and made more finals and semi finals than in the previous couple of decades. If Southgate is a failure then the next manager is going to have to be a bloody genius who makes winning tournaments a habit.

Southgate staying is not the worst thing to happen to England. We’ve seen some of the best results since Bobby Robson under him. The football hasn’t been scintillating but England have won a few vital games, qualified routinely and made more finals and semi finals than in the previous couple of decades. If Southgate is a failure then the next manager is going to have to be a bloody genius who makes winning tournaments a habit.

I can't think of a game he's won that I didn't expect a team full of PL stars to win, I may have missed one, we still lose to the first half-decent team we come up against, Apparently, we are ranked 4th in the world behind Belgium Brazil and France, yet we managed to lose to Italy and Croatia was it. I lose track of all these games

If Simeone wants to get a job at one of the top PL clubs he'd need to change his style of play. He's worked wonders at Atletico but I'm not sure ManU fans would put up with his ultra defensive tactics - especially when you have all these ex-United players in the media chuntering on about playing the Man United way whatever that is

He has actually been evolving his play a little. It’s not as defensive as it was. The United media as we know is dumb. Fergie never had a set way of playing, it’s probably why he was so successful. The United way under Fergie was simply winning and by any means necessary. I wish the players would just own it and not act like they are the English Barcelona renown for their attacking football.

Fergie stuck Ji Sung Park on Pirlo, they did as much anti-football stuff as any relegation candidate.

I lose track of all these managers but they all lost games they should have won. Except Allardyce who had a 100% record. Played 1, won 1.
Allardyce, Hodgson, Capello, McClaren, Erickson, Keegan, Hoddle, Venables, Robson. Southgate’s predecessors. Only Capello,(66.7%), has a better win rate than Southgate,(64.7%), and the worst of that lot is Keegan with a win rate of 38.9%.
Venables got England to one semi final and Erickson made three quarter finals.
Apart from Venables and Robson I can’t remember any of them playing attractive, successful football. Capello’s win rate was better but the tripe England played under him was some of the poorest football I can remember England playing.
Even watching Ramsey’s England I remember the football as being functional and efficient rather than spine tinglingly exciting.
It looks like I’m on my own but I don’t think Southgate is doing too bad a job compared to some of the dross served up by previous managers. And some of them had a “golden generation” of players at their disposal.

I can't think of a game he's won that I didn't expect a team full of PL stars to win, I may have missed one, we still lose to the first half-decent team we come up against, Apparently, we are ranked 4th in the world behind Belgium Brazil and France, yet we managed to lose to Italy and Croatia was it. I lose track of all these games

nice safe front man which is all the FA need - tbf unbeaten in 2021 except on pens in the Euro final (which is further than we've got previously) having vanquished the Germans,Croats and Danes etc.
meh but really they get players for a couple of weeks, just stop them falling out and see how it goes

nice safe front man which is all the FA need - tbf unbeaten in 2021 except on pens in the Euro final (which is further than we've got previously) having vanquished the Germans,Croats and Danes etc.
meh but really they get players for a couple of weeks, just stop them falling out and see how it goes
Strange how they rank these sides Belgium no1 ad they've failed to win anything

I'd say we should beat any team in the world with the players we have, they all play in what someone has decided is the best league in the world, no other country had all its players in the PL, does it?
Southgate is as you say perfect for the FA, Well-spoken, never says anything controversial, know how to handle the media etc Perfect but he won't win anything

I lose track of all these managers but they all lost games they should have won. Except Allardyce who had a 100% record. Played 1, won 1.
Allardyce, Hodgson, Capello, McClaren, Erickson, Keegan, Hoddle, Venables, Robson. Southgate’s predecessors. Only Capello,(66.7%), has a better win rate than Southgate,(64.7%), and the worst of that lot is Keegan with a win rate of 38.9%.
Venables got England to one semi final and Erickson made three quarter finals.
Apart from Venables and Robson I can’t remember any of them playing attractive, successful football.

I always think Bobby Robsons England reign was hugely over rated. Failed to qualify for Euro 84 and lost all 3 games in a disastrous Euro 88.
At Mexico 86 we lost to Portugal and drew with mighty Morocco, before Lineker saved his arse against Poland. Then beat an average Paraguay side, before being dumped out by the first decent opponent we had played in the quarter finals.
Italia 90 was similar, scraped a 1-0 win against Egypt to get out the group, took until the last seconds of 120 minutes to beat a bang average Belgium, cam from behind against Cameroon in the quarters again after extra time. I'll acknowledge we played well against West Germany in the Semi's but it was still the same old plucky loser story

Strange how they rank these sides Belgium no1 ad they've failed to win anything

Its also not ideal but there power ranking is perhaps slightly better. They try to map the ranking to the importance of games e.g. WC games are worth more than friendlies.

Oddly Brazil are #1.

England drop to 7th in this ranking system vs. 4th, however, doesn't entirely make massive sense either Belgium are still #2. It's all kind of flawed.

If Simeone wants to get a job at one of the top PL clubs he'd need to change his style of play. He's worked wonders at Atletico but I'm not sure ManU fans would put up with his ultra defensive tactics - especially when you have all these ex-United players in the media chuntering on about playing the Man United way whatever that is
Losing regularly at the moment 😁

Watched the highlights of Norwich and I think it would be an achievement for them to not finish bottom. Never mind staying up or even putting up a fight. Hanley is a walking accident and in general they are so lightweight.

And that Alex McCarthy is atrocious. I’ve no idea how he is a premier league keeper. Two horrendous goals he conceded.

Good to see the rabble from B9 are staying true to form. Bottles thrown onto the pitch by a section of their fans during Saturdays 2:0 defeat to a shitty Hull City side. Gary Gardner sent off after 17 minutes too. Let's hope the FA impose a huge fine (although personally I'd like to see a huge points deduction so that they end up getting relegated).

I see Wayne Rooney was asked about the Utd job after he won a match at Derby.

I don't know about you guys but I'm loving this.

The Rooney quotes are quality, he says he’s committed to Derby unless told otherwise, as though there is some chance he’ll get the gig.

An illiterate, granny prossie shagging, scouse piss head managing one of the biggest names in world football??

Make it happen.

Be funny if Rooney got the job.

United will go from an inexperienced manager who got the job only because of his legendary status as a player to an inexperienced manager who will only get the job because of his legendary status as a player.

It's hard to compare Southgate to previous managers, especially recent ones. The group of players we have and the vast choice is arguably the best we've ever had. Especially in a time where the likes of Germany and Spain are in transition. For us to not win anything with this lot would be disastrous.. Not a Southgate fan at all and to say he's done well getting to the semis and a final is also questionable when you look at who we played. (Minus Germany I suppose).