O's v Us | Page 7 | Vital Football

O's v Us

I like Shaun Maloney and was pleased we got him and I think he will do well, but you do need players who can play this system well and with a few exceptions we don't. The players we have are making it look bad because they can't pass and move quickly enough and are not comfortable on the ball with the exception of Matt Smith, Maloney is always asking the players to play with more tempo and when we do it works, but we can't keep it up.

But surely playing that way takes time and patience and can't be achieved in half a season. Bolton are top of the division playing a similar style but it has taken Evatt two or three transfer windows to find the right players to achieve his goal.

Unfortunately you and others want it to happen in less than half a season and under a transfer embargo.

So Maloney wants to play a system that the majority of players cant play?

So why don't we play a system they can play or is that too difficult?

No wonder we are churning out turgid performances ffs.

But surely playing that way takes time and patience and can't be achieved in half a season. Bolton are top of the division playing a similar style but it has taken Evatt two or three transfer windows to find the right players to achieve his goal.

Unfortunately you and others want it to happen in less than half a season and under a transfer embargo.
No your wrong if you haven't got the players who can play that way you will be waiting for ever and it won't get any better.
Where is King DZ when you need him

Do any of you ever look at what the opposition fans say about games, the overwhelming view on us was we were one of the best teams to visit Brisbane Road this season, and the way we move and pass the ball should be something they aspire to, this was more than echoed in Richie Wellens post match interview, please watch it.

The caveat to this though was, again from their fans, and I am in total agreement of their view, our defence is poor and when pressed hard we lump it and that stops us passing the ball, Wellens said the worked on that this week leading up to the game.

Rekik and Clare are a car crash and were ripped apart by their winger who put countless crosses in, and that is not an isolated incident this season, Jones could not defend if his life depended on it and constantly left Kell Watts exposed, Watts didn't have one of his better games anyway, yes Charlie may be a Rolls Royce but yesterday some of his play looked like he was driving a Skoda, lastly I watched Shaw closely as I sometimes don't get why some thing he is a good player, he does have something but regularly runs down blind alleys and got caught in possession numerous times leading to good opportunities for Orient.

I am being extremely harsh on us with this, but I do believe that is how other teams see us, get at us and we are in trouble, Exeter twice, Cheltenham last week and yesterday, to name recent games, but I also believe with a few tweeks, some hard work and a couple of injured players back we have the makings of a good team.
Oy!!!! I have a Skoda and they're great cars!!

Oy!!!! I have a Skoda and they're great cars!!
They're not exactly Rolls Royces though leicslatic, but I was thinking about the ones from many years ago when I made that comment, I was going to say Lada, but thought not many would remember them. 😄

I used to actually have one, myself and a workmate bought it between us for travelling to work without worrying about getting our own cars dirty or changing after we had spent a day on muddy construction sites. It had a cylinder head leak we used to keep plastic coke bottles in the back to fill it up as used more water than petrol on a journey. 😂😂

Last edited:
As I've already said earlier, yesterday was the same as most of our games ... it contained some nice stuff, some scrappy stuff, some non-descript stuff - the tippy tappy sideways stuff that really presses the buttons of some - and (very importantly) some gutsy stuff.

Some of us are happy to accept this, (after all, we're a young terms in terms of both development and age) and put up with it (especially in this "building" season), whilst it seems others are not.

I don't expect to see us playing well for a whole game ... for a start, the opposition are there to stop us playing, and it would be arrogant to assume we could ride over them all (regardless of what some posters believe the standard of the league to be).

I don't for a second believe that the manager has told the players "hey, you know in that Bolton game, when you played superb and just went for it? ... yeah, well don't do that any more".

So, given that I've seen enough changes of managers to last me a for a few seasons yet, I'm happy to take what we're getting. This isn't absolving the manager of any criticism ... it just means that there's little point going overboard about it ... especially given the number of points we've accumulated so far.

Bolton are a good example to be fair. A club who has built under the same manager and got progressively better every season.

First season, promoted from L2 in third place. Lucky, but job done.

Second season, solid season of L1 consolidation, arguably overachieved, positive ninth place finish.

Third season, fifth place and playoffs, clear improvement again, won the Pizza Cup.

Fourth season, top of the league after 17 games, will almost certainly improve on last season's fifth place finish, should be promoted automatically.

This is the journey we need to target and right now we are in Bolton's second season, consolidating in L1. If it weren't for the deduction we'd literally be in ninth place right now. So we need to secure the high mid-table finish with hopefully a good cup run. Then next season following a transfer window where we'll be allowed to pay fees again, we go for the playoffs.

Whether we achieve these goals will depend on how we perform in future transfer markets, specifically how we replace the likes of Tickle and Hughes when they depart as well as our better loan players such as Godo and Morrison. Humphrys as well is out of contract.

No your wrong if you haven't got the players who can play that way you will be waiting for ever and it won't get any better.
Where is King DZ when you need him

So we continue to swap and change to accommodate players rather than give the players time to adapt and master the skills to play the system.

Out of interest how would you change things ?

Remember we have a very young squad who are still learning but have the necessary skills to play the way the manager wants, how do we know that, we have seen against both Derby and Bolton that they are capable of it. So do we abandon that or persevere and accept that they will not get it right all the time but with some adjustment in the next transfer window could put the problems behind them and push on.

As I said, Bolton struggled to get to grip with the same system we are trying to perfect but persevered and are now reaping the rewards.

I say give it time, let's not waste an opportunity.

So we continue to swap and change to accommodate players rather than give the players time to adapt and master the skills to play the system.

Out of interest how would you change things ?

Remember we have a very young squad who are still learning but have the necessary skills to play the way the manager wants, how do we know that, we have seen against both Derby and Bolton that they are capable of it. So do we abandon that or persevere and accept that they will not get it right all the time but with some adjustment in the next transfer window could put the problems behind them and push on.

As I said, Bolton struggled to get to grip with the same system we are trying to perfect but persevered and are now reaping the rewards.

I say give it time, let's not waste an opportunity.
Don't hold your breath for a reasoned, detailed reply. Their criticism is usually expressed in the broadest of terms like: shite, hoof-ball, tippy-tappy etc. which have no particular meaning and therefore can't be disproved.

Another characteristic is the invention of clever (not) nicknames like "Tinkerbell" when they can't construct a detailed intelligent critique.

Why can't we just enjoy watching "OUR" team. Life is so much better when your glass is half full.

The previous owners left our Club in Dire-Straits and on the verge of extinction, we lost most of our best players and had a manager Merry-Go-Round which did not help.

The Club was in a Shambles and very few players wanted to come here due to Non-Payments, and being in Admin etc.

Mike Danson bought Latics and had to get the Club up and running in a very short period before the Season started,
we had a Transfer-Embargo put on us, which didn't help,
which left us relying on our Academy, Loans and Freebies.

Most fans realised the team we had Patched-Together was going to struggle this Season and Avoiding Relegation was the Main Aim.

When this team plays well we can beat any team in this League, when we play Under-Par we can lose to any team,
injuries have also weakened our Threadbare Squad and these International Games are doing us No-Favours at all.

It was always going to be a Frustrating Season for us,
if we finish the Season in L1, i think most fans will be ok with that.

Once the Transfer Embargo finishes, we should be able to get some decent experienced players to strengthen the Squad and help our younger players to develop into more mature players.

Without googling it does anybody know where Dire Straits are ?... be honest now no cheating.

I have always known btw cos I'm a grammar schoo lad.