Omicron Covid | Page 2 | Vital Football

Omicron Covid

As I said before:

The culling of the stupid continues:

By
Matthew DreschNews Reporter

An NHS intensive care doctor has revealed that nine out of 10 Covid patients on his wards have not been jabbed.

Professor Rupert Pearse, a medic in London, said he regularly hears unvaccinated patients beg for the jab after being hospitalised.

He said people in their 20s and 30s are ending up in intensive care with coronavirus.

His warning comes as the new Omicron variant tears through the UK, sparking fears of the NHS being overwhelmed and Covid deaths rising to 6,000 a day.

The UK recorded its biggest single-day rise in coronavirus cases on December 17, with 93,045 new infections recorded.

Prof Pearse told The Sun: "Between 80 and 90 per cent of the patients that we have are unvaccinated.

1_Screen-Shot-2021-05-11-at-125309.jpg
Professor Rupert Pearse said unvaccinated patients beg for the jab in hospital (
Image:
COPYRIGHT UNKNOWN)

"Almost all of our unvaccinated patients who are well enough to talk say they have been anxious about getting the vaccine, or didn’t know who to believe.

"The most common thing they say is ‘Can I have the vaccine now please?’”

However the doctor said this is not possible as Covid patients must wait until they have recovered before they can have the jab.

Prof Pearse added that because 'the great majority of us are vaccinated' he does still encounter a few patients who have been jabbed.

0_Nine-out-of-ten-Covid-patients-in-ICU-are-unvaccinated-and-BEG-for-jab-hospital-doc-claims.jpg
The majority of Covid patients in critical care are unvaccinated (
Image:
Our World in Data)

He emphasised that the risk of being hospitalised and entering critical care is much higher for the unvaccinated.

Omicron has already led to a rise in hospitalisations in London - one of the UK's first hotspots for the variant.

The Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) previously warned deaths could hit 6,000 a day if the Government failed to act to tackle the new strain.

However, Brits can take hope from figures in South Africa which show that the country's fourth wave, fuelled by Omicron, has now peaked.

0_A-steeper-wave-but-significantly-shorter-about-half-the-number-of-days-to-reach-the-peak-compared-w.jpg
Figures from South Africa offer hope to Brits as their Omicron wave has peaked

Data shared by Dr Ridhwaan Suliman showed that while the Omicron peak was far steeper than previous waves, it was also shorter, suggesting the current crisis could soon be over for Brits.

Meanwhile, the UK Health Security Agency has found that Omicron patients are usually not as sick as those who catch the Delta strain.

Booster jabs are working effectively to dull the severity of the new strain, data reported by Politco reveals.

This means that Brits who fall sick with Omicron are less likely to suffer severe illness than those who have Delta.

In my own area today, 18 are in intensive care, only one vaccinated and she is 77, 126 in the covid ward and only 16 are vaccinated, but hadn't yet had their booster.

Most patients now are in their 20's, 30's and 40's.

If Omicron carries on (even at this reduced know rate of infection) then come January it's likely there will not be enough staff well enough to care for them, and many staff are now refusing to take on the covid roles so as to protect their families, many now displaying 'it serves them right' type attitudes.

January the shite really could be hitting the fan.

Yet the stupid and the dumb continue to deny the benefits of vaccination; I guess for many they'll be knocking on deaths door before they realise that they could have avoided it.

Omicron Studies Suggest Lower COVID Hospitalisation Rates Than Delta
Peter Russell | 23 December 2021
Two preliminary studies in the UK have suggested that the Omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2 may lead to lower rates of hospitalisation than the Delta variant.
A comparison of the effect of both variants in England and Scotland give an early indication that Omicron could lead to less severe outcomes than Delta.
Publication of the papers, neither of which have yet been peer-reviewed, came as the UK Health Security Agency prepared to release its own weekly analysis of COVID-19 infections.
An investigation by the University of Edinburgh suggests that Omicron is associated with a two-thirds reduction in the risk of being hospitalised with COVID-19 compared with Delta.

Meanwhile, research by Imperial College London estimates a 40% to 45% reduction in the risk of hospitalisation with Omicron for at least one day compared with Delta.
Findings from both preprints have been shared with the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Modelling (SPI-M) which advises the Government.
The authors of both papers stress that the rapid spread of Omicron could still lead to pressure on hospitals.
Scotland Study
The University of Edinburgh study was based on hospital admissions of patients in Scotland, including those with the S gene negative signature of Omicron. Researchers calculated an adjusted observed/expected ratio of 0.32 (95% CI 0.19 to 0.52) for Omicron, meaning that people who tested positive for the new variant were around 68% less likely to be hospitalised for one or more days than those with the Delta variant.

Evidence of vaccine protection against symptomatic Omicron infection after a booster dose was estimated at 57% (95% CI 54 to 60).
According to the study, the findings "should provide reassurance that Omicron is substantially less likely to result in severe outcomes than Delta" and that booster, or third doses of a COVID vaccine "are associated with considerable added protection against symptomatic disease when compared to second doses".
However, the study involved only 15 patients hospitalised with Omicron and included few people over 65, who are most at risk from COVID.
Dr Jim McMenamin, national COVID-19 incident director at Public Health Scotland, told a briefing hosted by the Science Media Centre that it was a "qualified good news story".

However, he added: "The potentially serious impact of Omicron on a population can't be underestimated. A smaller proportion of a much greater number of cases that may ultimately require treatment can still mean a substantial number of people who may experience severe COVID infections that could lead to potential hospitalisation."
Commenting on the analysis, James Naismith, professor of structural biology at the University of Oxford, said "there is now solid reason to favour a more optimistic outcome of Omicron in the UK than was feared", while adding: "None of this should diminish the loss of lives that will still happen, nor the work of health professionals who are exhausted."
England Study
The new report from Imperial College London included all PCR-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 cases in England between December 1 and 14.
The data set included 56,000 cases of Omicron and 269,000 cases of Delta.
On average, there was an estimated 15% to 20% reduced risk of attending A&E for Omicron compared with Delta, and approximately a 40% lower risk of a hospital stay lasting at least 1 day, the researchers said.
However, the study said these reductions had to be balanced against the larger risk of infection by Omicron because protection from two doses of vaccine has waned.
Prof Neil Ferguson from Imperial, who led the study, said: "Our analysis shows evidence of a moderate reduction in the risk of hospitalisation associated with the Omicron variant compared with the Delta variant.
"However, this appears to be offset by the reduced efficacy of vaccines against infection with the Omicron variant."

Penny Ward, visiting professor in pharmaceutical medicine at King's College London said that, in England, "based on this preliminary information, the decision to delay imposition of greater restrictions on social mixing than are currently advised under Plan B might be more reasonable than some have suggested".
However, this should "not detract from the extraordinary spread of this variant across the population, and the fact that even a small proportion of people needing hospital care for COVID may become a very large number indeed if the community attack rate continues to escalate, with all that implies for overstretching the already stretched NHS", she said.

My concern is still Delta. 800 plus people in hospital ICU on life support are almost certainly nearly all Delta infected and unvaccinated. So it's Delta v the unvaccinated and unboosted. It could be that Omicron causes less serious outcomes but it still adds pressure to an already creaking NHS.

My concern is still Delta. 800 plus people in hospital ICU on life support are almost certainly nearly all Delta infected and unvaccinated. So it's Delta v the unvaccinated and unboosted. It could be that Omicron causes less serious outcomes but it still adds pressure to an already creaking NHS.
Even if Omicron has a lower hospitalisation percentage it can still be worse due to sheer numbers of infections. I'm not sure of the latest figures, but it was estimated to be possibly 80 times more transmissible than delta. Even with Ex's 60% fewer hospitalisation stat from above, the number of Omicrom cases will be much more than Delta patients. Looking at the news and social media, people are focusing far too much on the hospitalisation stat on it's own, they need to look at the wider picture.

I got a text today from the NHS reminding me to get boosted. I've already had it. It states the booster protects against Omicron. I only had it about 4 or 5 weeks ago. I think it's just a general text they send out but it could be confusing to some.

I got a text today from the NHS reminding me to get boosted. I've already had it. It states the booster protects against Omicron. I only had it about 4 or 5 weeks ago. I think it's just a general text they send out but it could be confusing to some.
I got a text as well and had mine over a month ago.

I got the same. With the scaling of operations and technology to get a whole country vaccinated, I can fully understand that there might be some data anomalies.

I got the same. With the scaling of operations and technology to get a whole country vaccinated, I can fully understand that there might be some data anomalies.

Also, how stupid do you have to be to not know that?

That said, I just thought on it and was looking at how many of the hospitalized in our local NHS trust are vaccinated (less than 10%), so on that basis, there is still a large 'stupid' element....people really do expect to have their arses wiped by the state now..

The NHS have my mobile number and vaccination record. What's so difficult about logging my details in a computer to take me off the booster reminder list. Surely its all computerised. I figured it out but older less savvy people might be confused

The NHS have my mobile number and vaccination record. What's so difficult about logging my details in a computer to take me off the booster reminder list. Surely its all computerised. I figured it out but older less savvy people might be confused

The boosters are recorded in two different systems; the issue at the moment is that to get that data into the NHS England d/b is taking time because of the huge volume of data and the high levels of covid absences in the nhs - which is running at about double that or the general workforces.

So marketing figured sending a prompt is smarter and worthwhile to get people thinking about getting it done if it hasn't been already, and if you then try and book a booster it will filter you out and stop you anyway.

Covid hasn't gone away despite some people behaving like it has, so keeping it front and centre is a smart move.

more here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...vaccinated-patients-Covid-intensive-care.html

Most Covid-stricken anti-vaxxers in intensive care are NOT conspiracy theorists with 'weird views' but ordinary people who have fallen for 'deliberate online misinformation', says Sir Chris Whitty
  • Chris Whitty is 'saddened' to see so many unvaccinated Covid patients in the ICU
  • England's chief medical officer blamed 'misinformation' for vaccine hesitancy
  • He said a lot of misinformation around vaccines 'has been deliberately placed'
  • Boris Johnson meanwhile said it was 'absolutely crazy' that unvaccinated people are in the ICU with two million vaccination slots available this week
By David Averre For Mailonline and PA Media
Published: 21:20, 4 January 2022 | Updated: 00:00, 5 January 2022

England's chief medical officer said he has been left 'saddened' by the proportion of unvaccinated patients in intensive care.
Speaking at a Downing Street news conference, Professor Sir Chris Whitty said 'the great majority' of those who were in intensive care and had not been jabbed were 'not anti-vaxxers in the ordinary sense with some really weird ideas' but had been taken advantage of by those seeking to misinform them online.
Sir Chris said 'misinformation' on the internet, 'a lot of it deliberately placed', about potential side effects from jabs was fuelling fears about whether Covid-19 was important enough to warrant vaccination, leading to vaccine hesitancy.

Whitty also claimed that people were being misled as to whether the vaccines were effective against the disease.
'Insofar as I am frustrated it is simply people deliberately trying to scare away fellow citizens from something that is potentially going to be life-saving for them,' he said.
'In the end, it is the job of health professionals not to get frustrated but simply to say, look, let's go through all of your questions properly and systematically and say which ones are fair and which ones as in many cases, are really completely untrue.'

Chief Medical Officer Sir Chris Whitty who has said that he has been left "saddened" by the proportion of unvaccinated patients in intensive care. Issue date: Tuesday January 4, 2022.

Professor Sir Chris Whitty (L) said "the great majority" of those who were in intensive care and had not been jabbed were "not anti-vaxxers in the ordinary sense with some really weird ideas" but had been taken advantage of by those seeking to misinform them online (Boris Johnson (C) and Sir Patrick Vallance (R) pictured at today's Downing St. briefing)

Sir Chris said the booster provided around 88% overall protection against being admitted to hospital.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said it was 'absolutely crazy' that people were ending up in intensive care with Covid because they had not been vaccinated.
'How absolutely crazy it is, absolutely crazy, that there are two million slots this week for people to get vaccinated and yet the majority of people in ICU for Covid are not vaccinated – 61%,' he told the press conference.
'It is sad but it is also a huge opportunity for us to correct it.'
Mr Johnson added: 'There are still almost nine million people eligible, who haven't had their booster.

'It's absolutely heartbreaking that as many as 90% of those in intensive care with Covid have not had their booster, and over 60% of those in intensive care who have Covid have not had any vaccination at all.
'People are dying needlessly because they haven't had their jabs, they haven't had that booster.'
Sir Patrick Vallance, the chief scientific adviser, said there were 'extraordinarily high levels of infection at the moment' in the UK, and claimed there was 'no evidence' that the Covid spread in London has reached the peak.
'Whilst it may be the case that in the younger age groups it is flattening off or possibly beginning to come down, it's still going up in the older age groups,' he said.
'I think it would be very wrong to suggest that there's a peak which means it's all over in London.'
The press conference was held on the day a further 218,724 lab-confirmed

more at link above...

The boosters are recorded in two different systems; the issue at the moment is that to get that data into the NHS England d/b is taking time because of the huge volume of data and the high levels of covid absences in the nhs - which is running at about double that or the general workforces.

So marketing figured sending a prompt is smarter and worthwhile to get people thinking about getting it done if it hasn't been already, and if you then try and book a booster it will filter you out and stop you anyway.

Covid hasn't gone away despite some people behaving like it has, so keeping it front and centre is a smart move.

When I had my booster it was at a pharmacy centre. I was checked in against my time slot, showed my double vaccine card, checked by the vaccine jabber who had a computer screen in front of him. The atmosphere was relaxed and unhurried, there were plenty staff with clipboards etc. All it would have took when that jab went into my arm was to log on my record it had been administered. I would be very surprised if it wasn't.
So booste, my name has a phone number linked to it, knock me off the reminder list !! Surely it's not beyond the capability of the system.
I know I am being a bit of a Lampard over this, it just seems so simple.

Being a Lampard is being over picky on procedure or rules by the way. Invented by Sam Delaney after Lampard got all snotty over something. It might have been Bielsa having spy's in the bushes.

When I had my booster it was at a pharmacy centre. I was checked in against my time slot, showed my double vaccine card, checked by the vaccine jabber who had a computer screen in front of him. The atmosphere was relaxed and unhurried, there were plenty staff with clipboards etc. All it would have took when that jab went into my arm was to log on my record it had been administered. I would be very surprised if it wasn't.
So booste, my name has a phone number linked to it, knock me off the reminder list !! Surely it's not beyond the capability of the system.
I know I am being a bit of a Lampard over this, it just seems so simple.

Being a Lampard is being over picky on procedure or rules by the way. Invented by Sam Delaney after Lampard got all snotty over something. It might have been Bielsa having spy's in the bushes.

The vaccination pop-up/centres (including pharmacies) do not have access to your nhs records - especially for data entry, which would cause massive verification issues and even bigger error checking delays. They would have to be positively vetted, cleared and trained - all not necessary. It's a mass upload after each session/batch end.

Think about the privacy issues this would cause if they did. You'd have every libertarian in the country screaming blue murder...sorry Nick, you have to think of the greater good, I accept that for some it's too difficult to answer 'have I had it or not?' .....but you can't legislate for stupidity or an innate inability to think correctly in circumstances like this.

As I have already said (try it yourself) if you try and book again from the reminder and you've had it, it won't let you.

Got to say, Macron has got this right...

Emmanuel Macron pledges to 'p--- off' France's unvaccinated until they get the Covid jab

Parliamentary debate on new vaccine pass suspended after French president says 'irresponsible' compatriots are not 'citizens'

By Henry Samuel Paris 5 January 2022 • 10:32am

Emmanuel Macron has sparked uproar by pledging to “p--- off” France’s unvaccinated in denying them access to even more aspects of daily life.
The French president’s inflammatory comments came as the government seeks to push through parliament legislation that will make vaccination compulsory to enjoy cultural activities, use inter-city train travel or visit a cafe from January 15.
No longer will it be possible to have a recent test or a recovery from the coronavirus to qualify for the country's Covid pass.

In an interview with Le Parisien put online on Tuesday night, the centrist French head of state said: "As for the non-vaccinated, I really want to p--- them off.”
He used the verb "emmerder," a word considered in France as vulgar slang derived from the word "merde" which means "s---."
The literal translation is "put in the s---".
"And we will continue to do this, to the end. This is the strategy," he said.
Mr Macron added this would mean "limiting as much as possible their access to activities in social life”.
He went even further by saying: “When my freedom threatens that of others, I become an irresponsible person. An irresponsible person is not a citizen.”
The opposition said his comments were unworthy of a French president.
"A president should not say that," said the far-right candidate Marine Le Pen, accusing Mr Macron of wanting to make some French "second-class citizens."
Far-right pundit Eric Zemmour, who is also standing, tweeted that "as president I will stop hassling the French". Far-left candidate Jean-Luc Melenchon condemned Macron's comments as "appalling".

more here:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...ron-pledges-p-frances-unvaccinated-get-covid/

The vaccination pop-up/centres (including pharmacies) do not have access to your nhs records - especially for data entry, which would cause massive verification issues and even bigger error checking delays. They would have to be positively vetted, cleared and trained - all not necessary. It's a mass upload after each session/batch end.

Think about the privacy issues this would cause if they did. You'd have every libertarian in the country screaming blue murder...sorry Nick, you have to think of the greater good, I accept that for some it's too difficult to answer 'have I had it or not?' .....but you can't legislate for stupidity or an innate inability to think correctly in circumstances like this.

As I have already said (try it yourself) if you try and book again from the reminder and you've had it, it won't let you.

I understand that if I trigger a response the system will override the request. So the information is in the system somewhere just not so that it can override sending out texts to people unnecessarily.
I know I'm being a Lampard, I can't help it.

I understand that if I trigger a response the system will override the request. So the information is in the system somewhere just not so that it can override sending out texts to people unnecessarily.
I know I'm being a Lampard, I can't help it.

You are., being a Lampard that is.

But I repeat again; three 'discrete' systems are involved and have strong firewalls and separation in place for a reason; it's in simple terms a cost v benefit ratio debate (for a simpler view, the cost is always the biggest issue).

Therefore sending mass texts from a totally separate list is infinitely preferable and cheaper and far more effective than doing anything else with all the processes and checks that would have to be considered, collated, collected, checked and updated everyday.

So some people with dodgy minds might try again, but as I've said repeatedly, they are soon assured by being filtered out when they try to book again!!!

Consider the bigger picture and stop thinking like a lampard.

Last edited:
Got to say, Macron has got this right...

Emmanuel Macron pledges to 'p--- off' France's unvaccinated until they get the Covid jab

Parliamentary debate on new vaccine pass suspended after French president says 'irresponsible' compatriots are not 'citizens'

By Henry Samuel Paris 5 January 2022 • 10:32am

Emmanuel Macron has sparked uproar by pledging to “p--- off” France’s unvaccinated in denying them access to even more aspects of daily life.
The French president’s inflammatory comments came as the government seeks to push through parliament legislation that will make vaccination compulsory to enjoy cultural activities, use inter-city train travel or visit a cafe from January 15.
No longer will it be possible to have a recent test or a recovery from the coronavirus to qualify for the country's Covid pass.

In an interview with Le Parisien put online on Tuesday night, the centrist French head of state said: "As for the non-vaccinated, I really want to p--- them off.”
He used the verb "emmerder," a word considered in France as vulgar slang derived from the word "merde" which means "s---."
The literal translation is "put in the s---".
"And we will continue to do this, to the end. This is the strategy," he said.
Mr Macron added this would mean "limiting as much as possible their access to activities in social life”.
He went even further by saying: “When my freedom threatens that of others, I become an irresponsible person. An irresponsible person is not a citizen.”
The opposition said his comments were unworthy of a French president.
"A president should not say that," said the far-right candidate Marine Le Pen, accusing Mr Macron of wanting to make some French "second-class citizens."
Far-right pundit Eric Zemmour, who is also standing, tweeted that "as president I will stop hassling the French". Far-left candidate Jean-Luc Melenchon condemned Macron's comments as "appalling".

more here:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...ron-pledges-p-frances-unvaccinated-get-covid/
I thought of you when I heard this on a news report. :rofl: