Old pics | Page 36 | Vital Football

Old pics

Memories o the Ball Inn Training ground, played a cup final on theer az a sprog but sadly lost ta Wybourn whose team included the Robbo brothers. Aged 14 n a beez winger tha needed muscles in thi spit ta reach the penalty area when tekkin corners!

Memories o the Ball Inn Training ground, played a cup final on theer az a sprog but sadly lost ta Wybourn whose team included the Robbo brothers. Aged 14 n a beez winger tha needed muscles in thi spit ta reach the penalty area when tekkin corners!
I remember the Ball Inn ground very well. Not only did I live close by but was a member of Newfield's Clegg Shield winning side; 1960 I think, which played the final there.
I used to hang around the ground to get autographs of my heros. Happy days.

I remember the Ball Inn ground very well. Not only did I live close by but was a member of Newfield's Clegg Shield winning side; 1960 I think, which played the final there.
I used to hang around the ground to get autographs of my heros. Happy days.
Deffo the good old days, I was Greystones Secondary Modern, we played in the Handsworth Trophy Comp. 1961 we beat Southey Green at Ball Inn, in the Semi 1-0. Our fixture list was Burgoyne Road and Bole Hill, Upperthorpe, Meynell Road, Tapton, Silverdale, all Secondary Modern but we never played Newfield or we could have met on the footy field. Being in the footy team was brill as cup matches were played in school hours, so excused lessons we collected our green plastic bus tokens and made our way to away grounds. Not being very academic, what a relief to do something much more enjoyable than lessons! Rael Madrid were the bees knees so all white strip became our choice. Great days indeed!

The landlord of the Ball Inn in the 80's was a fishing mate of mine. John, he heralded from Barnsley. He ran The Old Lighthorsman on Penistone road as a tenant for years before, but the Ball Inn was a free house by then. He wasn't much into football but he loved his splodging. We had some great maggot drowning sessions together.

Never bin a splodger mesen but mi owd man was, luvved iz splodgin matches. A relied on the owd Army method, lob a grenade in n wait fer em ta float ra the surface!

I think this is a great photo. It’s basically the Blades team from when my Dad first started taking me to the Lane regularly. The recently departed Barry Wagstaff is on the back row next to Len.
IMG_2860.jpeg

Last edited:
I think this is a great photo. It’s basically the Blades team from when my Dad first started taking me to the Lane regularly. The recently departed Barry Wagstaff is on the back row next to Len.
View attachment 67680
Yeah looks abart the time when i started goin to BDBL as well Gray.Keith Kettleborough used to live in Whiston i believe,not far from Gods own Village,but we had Albert Cox who owned a shop in Treeton.My youngest son is buyin a house where Albert's shop was.UTB

Yeah looks abart the time when i started goin to BDBL as well Gray.Keith Kettleborough used to live in Whiston i believe,not far from Gods own Village,but we had Albert Cox who owned a shop in Treeton.My youngest son is buyin a house where Albert's shop was.UTB
Keith was a class act. I did see Richardson, Summers and Doc Pace play when I first started going to the odd game Rod but by the time this picture had been taken I was attending all the home games and the occasional away one.

Brill team, great memories, Keith Kettleboro wuz picked fer the English League side, Barry Hartle good skillster but tended to do too much before passing to a team mate. Days when tha cud walk round from the kop ta the Lane end fer the 2nd ayfe n stand wi Blades fans who behaved theresens!

Brill team, great memories, Keith Kettleboro wuz picked fer the English League side, Barry Hartle good skillster but tended to do too much before passing to a team mate. Days when tha cud walk round from the kop ta the Lane end fer the 2nd ayfe n stand wi Blades fans who behaved theresens!
We used to call Barry Hartle 'Braces' because it looked like there wasn't enough about him to hold his shorts up. I don't think he ever really made the left wing spot his own, he had to battle it out with Ronnie Simpson.

"GOD" must be hovering above them in that pic then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Kettleborough- one of the last of what was always described as a "scheming inside forward" in the papers.

Hodgy doing his jolly green giant impression in that pic as he looks much bigger than I recall him, particularly in relation to the rest. Must be the thick woolly jumper.

"GOD" must be hovering above them in that pic then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Kettleborough- one of the last of what was always described as a "scheming inside forward" in the papers.

Hodgy doing his jolly green giant impression in that pic as he looks much bigger than I recall him, particularly in relation to the rest. Must be the thick woolly jumper.
TT, Mick was GOD to me before TC.

Tha used ta see Mick Jones, Len Badger n Bernard Shaw on Sattdy neet at the Locarno prowlin fer fanny n allus found time ta chat about the match. Az long az tha wo a Blade! One o mi favourite players just befoor that pic wuz little Billy Hodgson allus ferretin afer the ball n covered in moor blood n snot than anyone else on the pitch! nearest a can remember ta im wuz Tricky Trevor Hockey who used ta revel in opponent fans chantin, "Hockey Iz A Werewolf!" Worra great character eee wuz!

TT, Mick was GOD to me before TC.
He was the pin up boy archetypal centre forward, big, blond,mobile and of great ability and, until TC, rightly, the focus of attention.

Loved to watch that Rolls Royce of a player, the footballing centre half, Joe Shaw.
As a kid my figure of hate was from the dark side- Vic Mobley- as crude a clogger as ever wore a centre hlf shirt.