Old pics | Page 43 | Vital Football

Old pics

From FB this morning-
"treeton colliery, between Rotherham and Sheffield, where new trainees were sent."
No photo description available.

Some of the messages posted below.
Maybe a reight nostalgia fest for some?

Leslie Oates
Signed on at Treeton Colliery 1964 aged 15 .
Went to Treeton training centre and did my underground training at Orgreave Colliery also attended Dinnington College as part of the 16 weeks training.
Did my coal face training at Silverwood Colliery.
Worked at :-
Treeton Colliery
Brookhouse Colliery
Shireoaks Colliery and last but not least Kiveton Colliery.
Loved every minute of it
❤️

( Happy days never to return)

Leslie Oates
Also did some training at Fence Workshops on the mock coal face.

Richard Lerigo
Leslie Oates Merry Christmas Les. I remember you, Barry Gill & others coming to Shireoaks from Brookhouse, great set of blokes, most of them fellow Blades.

Robert Ryalls
Leslie Oates Is this the same Les Oates that was a deputy at shireoaks if so , you took me on my deputys practical in 1987 , 1st time i met you in lamproom you jokingly told me no way was you having me because i had a littles sheff wed badge on my helmet
🤣
But we got on great and i passed with flying colours thanks to you, we had to do it 9n afters because there was a dispute or something going on, Roy Mace , under manager was later Deputy Manager at My pit Manton great bloke

Leslie Oates
Robert Ryalls ...Yes it is me and I do faintly remember you and you being a Owls fan.
I also remember Roy Mace and I often think of my days at Shireoaks with great fondness it was a great pit to work at.
Someone else I remember with great fondness is Colin Rusby who was a Colliery Overman who I had a great friendship with such Happy days never to return.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Thompson Piper
Leslie Oates I walked to the pit my first time with my dad

Trevor Mansell
bet you knew my elder brother at Treeton he was a deputy / undermanager , , i worked there for a short while and my dad Died there in 1957 under a roof fall ,
😪
, I also did my training from Brookhouse i worked on roadlaying with a certain Lew Lambert

Leslie Oates
Trevor Mansell The name Lew Lambert ring a bell.

Named after a famous Sheffield landlord called Dodger Fieldsend (sp) I think, not because people used to dodge the trams to have a pint.
Nope, it was because there was a door on each side so the drivers could check whether Blakey was coming to check them out. If they saw him they dodged out of whichever door he wasn't coming to.

Last edited:
I think our problem was we had almost the same set of players throughout the 12 years the Masters ran. Other clubs seemed to refresh their squads every year but we basically stuck with the core of Harry Basset's team. Like you say Rod same owd same owd 🤣