Off topic...off topics. | Vital Football

Off topic...off topics.

ramAnag

Vital Reserves Team
Fully accept that it’s your decision Bloomer, but looking at the number of posts attracted by the non-segregated O/T’s on FM compared with the number of mainstream posts on Vital, might it be worth having a rethink about ‘hiding’ the OT’s away in their own section on here?
Doesn’t seem to be working and OT’s do seem to attract comment.

I'm the other side of the fence, it's nice to log into a football forum and not scroll past 5 topics ranging from terrorism to the death penalty.

Agreed, but really you should have posted this in the OT section, then no-one would have read it!

Yep, sorry...being a bit dim, genuinely thought they went there automatically.
Not my finest moment but, as you say, at least someone read it.
I get where you’re coming from Adi but, although I really like this site, it is struggling a bit for responses.

Fully accept that it’s your decision Bloomer, but looking at the number of posts attracted by the non-segregated O/T’s on FM compared with the number of mainstream posts on Vital, might it be worth having a rethink about ‘hiding’ the OT’s away in their own section on here?
Doesn’t seem to be working and OT’s do seem to attract comment.
How do you mean hide them away? The main vital Rams forum is for Derby County and other football related topics, whereas the Off Topic forum is for anything else people want to talk about.

I don't understand what the problem seems to be, you either want to talk about an off-topic subject in the off topic forum or you don't. I am not going to talk about FM on here any further that is water under the bridge, they banned me from their forum in an infantile reaction to me leaving the group after telling them their failings and how to fix them.

So no, is the quick answer I will not be 'hiding' or taking the off topic forum off the site. Mainly because it takes time to add and take off forums, due to HQ being in charge of that on this network rather than myself, as before on FM.

Yep, sorry...being a bit dim, genuinely thought they went there automatically.
Not my finest moment but, as you say, at least someone read it.
I get where you’re coming from Adi but, although I really like this site, it is struggling a bit for responses.
That is in hand at the moment, there will be some further improvements to the forums in the next few days which I hope will promote the forum and get more people posting. You could help by using the 'share' tabs at the bottom of each post, which will share the thread to Facebook, Twitter, google+ etc

I don't understand what the problem seems to be, you either want to talk about an off-topic subject in the off topic forum or you don't.

I think RA was suggesting a remerger of the main and OT boards into a unitary board, rather than the deletion of the OT board.

When this forum opened it was a unitary board that saw a rapid growth in OT topics. These were then quarantined in separate board and promptly died a death and hardly anyone posts there. People just can't be arsed to flip from one board to another to post.

It's not a question of talking about the shortcomings of FM but rather that some posters are being lost by vital because of the forum duality.

Incidentally, as someone who eschews, nay despises, Facebook, Twitter etc, I am not likely to "share". The age demographic of this board likely have similar views, so don't hang your hat on that marketing strategy.

I think RA was suggesting a remerger of the main and OT boards into a unitary board, rather than the deletion of the OT board.

When this forum opened it was a unitary board that saw a rapid growth in OT topics. These were then quarantined in separate board and promptly died a death and hardly anyone posts there. People just can't be arsed to flip from one board to another to post.

It's not a question of talking about the shortcomings of FM but rather that some posters are being lost by vital because of the forum duality.

Incidentally, as someone who eschews, nay despises, Facebook, Twitter etc, I am not likely to "share". The age demographic of this board likely have similar views, so don't hang your hat on that marketing strategy.

I think Roger and I are in full agreement on this one and with regard to Twitterbook or whatever they’re called.
There’s no sort of rebellion here...I’m just asking the question.
There are certainly those, Adi on here and Manx in the other place, who want sites to be purely about football, possibly just DCFC.
Equally there are others, Roger, ’Amster and myself for example, who would prefer it to be a forum for fans of DCFC to discuss anything at all.
The facts are however that, since there was a separate OT forum on here numbers have decreased whereas such OT threads on FM as cricket, Boris Johnson and of course Brexit have attracted very significant numbers.
Speaking entirely personally, I respect the views of Adi, Manx and Co. although tbh I don’t really understand why members can’t just ignore threads they have no interest in, but from the future of Vital’s p.o.v. I can’t help thinking the partition of DCFC/non DCFC threads has backfired in terms of the lifeblood of numbers.

P.S. The most annoying feature of this site for me is the regular appearance of one particular poster to constantly snipe at Derby. I genuinely welcome posters from other clubs, but to do virtually nothing but slag off the host club...sorry I don’t get that.

Last edited:

I know what RA was saying, I simply think that having a separate forum for Off Topic subjects makes for a neater forum as a whole. I realise it is not the same as FM where you could simply move from one forum to the other quickly (may mention this to HQ) but it makes sense to have two separate forums for Rams and football matters and other subjects.

Speaking personally I do most of my off topic talking on Facebook, I find that you get more friends and likeminded people posting on subjects such as holidays, the Royals (not Reading) and other topics of the day, without boring the pants off everyone else who have presumably come to talk about the Rams or other football related matters. I promote the website and Forum, something that would very much help if you guys could and may see the forum/website grow.

Vital base their sites on or around the message boards and they were very pleased that you guys moved from FM to this forum(s) Hopefully having two separate ones does not spoil your fun too much and it does make it a damn site easier to moderate

P.S. The most annoying feature of this site for me is the regular appearance of one particular poster to constantly snipe at Derby. I genuinely welcome posters from other clubs, but to do virtually nothing but slag off the host club...sorry I don’t get that.

Yes Basie (I presume that he is the one you are troubled by) can be annoying but in the interests of starting some sort of banter, we should tolerate him. I would like to see the banter between other sides in the Championship on here

Better run? when wa the last time they posted an article on that site? If you aren't satisfied please leave
Then promote it even with your lot, as long as they behave we would welcome them.

It takes two to tango. Although it upsets some I much prefer a single section with Ot topics clearly marked Ot which is something the busier more well run sites on Footymad adopt. Although one exception would be Forest Vital which is very busy with two sections so there is no fixed rule. You just have to fine tune your board the best way you can. Just keep out the filth and perverts that dominate some Footymad boards,

Yes Basie (I presume that he is the one you are troubled by) can be annoying but in the interests of starting some sort of banter, we should tolerate him. I would like to see the banter between other sides in the Championship on here

I think this site and other Vitals is restricted to other supporters which is something I got to know by accident. You are restricted to posting to own site by right but have to be let on to other sites. I forget what the wording is if you try to post on other sites. It doesn't say you can't but but you have to fulfill certain conditions which I do.

I absolutely agree and I think Basie has much to offer...banter is good...repeatedly visiting another club’s site simply to indulge in constant, repetitive, usually unfounded and negative sniping isn’t...imo.

I absolutely agree and I think Basie has much to offer...banter is good...repeatedly visiting another club’s site simply to indulge in constant, repetitive, usually unfounded and negative sniping isn’t...imo.

If Derby were doing well you and others would be all over me like flies. Fortunately that won't be the case this season.:throw:

If Derby were doing well you and others would be all over me like flies. Fortunately that won't be the case this season.:throw:

Simply not true in my case. The derby match apart I take no more notice of Forest than any other side.
I watch out for our direct rivals for promotion/top six...can’t remember when you were last one of those and it’s a while since I’ve looked far enough down the table to find you once the clocks have gone back.

Last edited:
Simply not true in my case. The derby match apart I take no more notice of Forest than any other side.
I watch out for our direct rivals for promotion/top six...can’t remember when you were last one of those and it’s a while since I’ve had to look far enough down the table to find you once the clocks have gone back.

I think you are right. You are the exception to the normal rule. Banter is not for you, your skin is not thick enough. I came on these boards when Derby were promoted to the Premiership and Forest were knocked out of the Division 1 Playoffs by Yeovil. Need I say more ? ;)

Lol...I’ll ‘banter’ with anyone Basie, if it’s worthwhile, and my skin is plenty ‘thick enough’ thanks.
What passes for ‘banter’ on the Forest FM site is usually just mind numbing abuse...as you know only too well...and your repetitive drivel about Lampard wasting too much time over the summer because of prior commitments is little better.
Frankly I couldn’t care less when you ‘came on these boards’....it’s about what you write now and most people just find you anti Lampard rants tiresome and irritating.

Lol...I’ll ‘banter’ with anyone Basie, if it’s worthwhile, and my skin is plenty ‘thick enough’ thanks.
What passes for ‘banter’ on the Forest FM site is usually just mind numbing abuse...as you know only too well...and your repetitive drivel about Lampard wasting too much time over the summer because of prior commitments is little better.
Frankly I couldn’t care less when you ‘came on these boards’....it’s about what you write now and most people just find you anti Lampard rants tiresome and irritating.

I know it's early days yet and I may yet be proved wrong about Lampard. I'm think a few Derby supporters after a fluke opening win and two comprehensive defeats are thinking they have hired another duff manager.

Latest Rams News