O/T VS Gardening Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

O/T VS Gardening Thread

I really don't understand this weather, my barometer has been showing really high pressure all week , yet we've had strong winds for at least a day now and a sort of hail/snow shower just now !

I'm looking out for the four horsemen, the world is getting weirder with each passing day o_O
Wait til the Jehova’s Witnesses show up on your doorstep...then you will know.

Walt those are the growing zones we deal with. One of the least known facts is that Southern Ontario is on the same latitude as Northern California.
Wow . That’s amazing . I doubt I will ever get my head around how big a country you live in . Do you share the same amount of time zones as the other mob ? I think they have right don’t they ?

It
I really don't understand this weather, my barometer has been showing really high pressure all week , yet we've had strong winds for at least a day now and a sort of hail/snow shower just now !

I'm looking out for the four horsemen, the world is getting weirder with each passing day o_O
Its been the highest High Pressure for over a hundred years but because of its position it’s bringing strong winds and cold air down from that cold place up norf where it snows a lot and isn’t very hospitable. Next week we are getting a low in the same place but that will bring warm air and cloud and rain from the south . Stay tuned for further updates on this channel ! Ha ha

Last edited:
80 , that 4b in the middle of 5a , is that a mountain ?
You also have 5a regions more northerly than 4 . Is that down to altitude as well ? I suppose it must be

80 , that 4b in the middle of 5a , is that a mountain ?
You also have 5a regions more northerly than 4 . Is that down to altitude as well ? I suppose it must be

Yes, that isolated 4b would be due to altitude. That is where the Lake Ontario/Erie and Georgian Bay watershed divides. It isn't much altitude and is definitely not mountainous.

We have a lot of microclimates due to lake effect.

Although they aren't native, the hardier palm trees will grow at Point Pelee which is on the migratory bird path and is spectacular during the seasonal migration.

Garden centres are non essential so not allowed to open. Wholesalers and nurseries have plants they can not sell when the nation is spending more time in their gardens than usual. So much plant stock will go to waste. People would probably buy the plants but cant. Apparently on line buying is allowed but is a drop in the ocean compared to garden centre sales.

Garden centres are non essential so not allowed to open. Wholesalers and nurseries have plants they can not sell when the nation is spending more time in their gardens than usual. So much plant stock will go to waste. People would probably buy the plants but cant. Apparently on line buying is allowed but is a drop in the ocean compared to garden centre sales.

Yeah, and their businesses are so seasonal. Spring is peak season when the new plants go into everyone's gardens. Even if they re-open in the summer, they can't recover this calendar year.

Then you've got the supply chain that provide the stock to the garden centres. If you look closely at a company like Dobbies website, you'll see most plants out of stock and are not even available to be delivered. That's because they've canceled all their stocking orders on their own suppliers.

I can only think how many plants are sitting out there not even able to be purchased.

It

Its been the highest High Pressure for over a hundred years but because of its position it’s bringing strong winds and cold air down from that cold place up norf where it snows a lot and isn’t very hospitable. Next week we are getting a low in the same place but that will bring warm air and cloud and rain from the south . Stay tuned for further updates on this channel ! Ha ha

You learn something every day, high pressure on my barometer has usually been in line with decent dry weather.

Refocus Walthy...refocus.... don't lose it! Accept it for what it is and you will cope...things will change going forward and will never be like before....we will win a trophy, Zeppelins will replace airplanes , Canals will be opened up again Beeching will be reversed. Life will be calmer and the atmosphere cleaner. The fog will lift, even in your brain mate!

Did a bit of pruning today, got 2 orchids for nothing from a closed shop giving away all their plants. They are strange plants, indoor only, in their natural habitat they grow on tree branches. The tuber and roots rot if they get too wet. They dont like direct sun but need light. Gonna be a challenge

Refocus Walthy...refocus.... don't lose it! Accept it for what it is and you will cope...things will change going forward and will never be like before....we will win a trophy, Zeppelins will replace airplanes , Canals will be opened up again Beeching will be reversed. Life will be calmer and the atmosphere cleaner. The fog will lift, even in your brain mate!
Ha ha , I was responding to chivs despair over his barometers high pressure . I just forgot to press the reply button first ! It was a comment on the weather ., not my brain condition.!!!
you’re probably right about canals ,
I would love Zeppelin to make a come back .
Reversing Beeching ........ nah !
winning trophies ...... you’re on too much sauce me old mate , that’s a prediction too far ! Ha ha

Cold and rainy here again. Although the buds are starting to show on some of the trees.
Everything is coming to life here . Plum tree is in blossom , Acers are throwing out new leaves , bulbs are popping up ,apple tree is budding , all the seeds in the greenhouse are sending up shoots , everything in the garden is rosy ! Lovely time of the year . I’ve worked my gonads off on the allotment and I’m ready for everything to be put in the ground , bring it on . I love it .