O/T VS Gardening Thread | Vital Football

O/T VS Gardening Thread

Nick Real Deal

Vital Football Legend
Well, I'm not going to preach, but I would suggest you seriously take things easy through this coronavirus emergency because if you did have an episode/attack the general support/intervention you're likely to receive is less than optimal i.e. no intensive care beds or operating theatres/consultants available.

I'm sure you're aware of that but I just wanted to give you a gentle reminder.

Be safe. Be well.

I'm ok now and supervising the planting my wife is doing of ornamental grasses. Making sure she gets the soil and compost mix right with pebble linings to the pots. I am doing this from a sedentary position sitting in a garden chair in the sun with my delightful dog Marnie keeping me company on my lap. Another cup of tea with digestives and I'm living like a King. I am also doing the garden layout planning as to positioning of the grasses and stone pots and bird baths etc.

I'm ok now and supervising the planting my wife is doing of ornamental grasses. Making sure she gets the soil and compost mix right with pebble linings to the pots. I am doing this from a sedentary position sitting in a garden chair in the sun with my delightful dog Marnie keeping me company on my lap. Another cup of tea with digestives and I'm living like a King. I am also doing the garden layout planning as to positioning of the grasses and stone pots and bird baths etc.

Not Pampas Grass I hope....

Not Pampas Grass I hope....

Dwarf grasses , very fine fronds, found a nice red or bronze coloured one Uncinia Rubra , looking for blue/ silver one next. They are all 30 to 50 cm spread plants for small spaces. Gone for the understated look as opposed to full on floral colour. Still lots of work to do this year. The rockery needs plants after a major clearing to expose all the rocks which had been buried by the previous tenant. Really nice rocks too, not cheap to buy these days, no cement, all proper and weathered. We started digging the bed over and kept hitting hard stuff then realised it was a sunken rockery. I had to dig them all out landscape it to accommodate all the rocks and distribute them in a balanced way with hardcore and sand under them so they sit firm. Looks great but no plants yet.

The log roll feature sits in front of the rockery , central with a chimney pot terracotta planter at one end and a vintage stone bird bath at the other. I will probably slate chip the oval shape at some point to finish it off. It's part gravel , soil and grass at the moment.
This is great....Vital Garden Project talk. !!

Dwarf grasses , very fine fronds, found a nice red or bronze coloured one Uncinia Rubra , looking for blue/ silver one next. They are all 30 to 50 cm spread plants for small spaces. Gone for the understated look as opposed to full on floral colour. Still lots of work to do this year. The rockery needs plants after a major clearing to expose all the rocks which had been buried by the previous tenant. Really nice rocks too, not cheap to buy these days, no cement, all proper and weathered. We started digging the bed over and kept hitting hard stuff then realised it was a sunken rockery. I had to dig them all out landscape it to accommodate all the rocks and distribute them in a balanced way with hardcore and sand under them so they sit firm. Looks great but no plants yet.

The log roll feature sits in front of the rockery , central with a chimney pot terracotta planter at one end and a vintage stone bird bath at the other. I will probably slate chip the oval shape at some point to finish it off. It's part gravel , soil and grass at the moment.
This is great....Vital Garden Project talk. !!

I'm all for a Vital Garden thread.

I've just received a small consignment of plants and have also spent some of this week getting my rockeries and borders ready for planting. My challenge has been that my Aubretia flower so early in the year. I'm investing more in Campanula this year as I've noticed that plant goes on and on during the summer and naturally spreads over a number of years. I'm a big fan of low maintenance hardy perennials. Always helps the golf handicap over the course of the year :-)

I bet we have some amazing gardeners on Vital Spurs !!!

Both my Grandads were enthusiastic gardeners, one more veg plot and landscaping the other more ornamental , his lawn was like a bowling green. They used to help each other out, take round some tomatoes or runner beans etc for each other. Help out digging over etc. Sweet Peas were even a favourite of mine, my Grandad used to cut some for my Mum, amazing scent, beautiful. I have always loved flowers, I just find them fascinating. Then the whole balance of nature thing , insects, birds all getting on with life.

I'm not bad for my age. Quite enjoy it actually. Has to be dry and warm though. Hate doing it in the rain or in the cold.

Thinking of getting more bamboo. Killed one plant last year, didn't think it was possible. Smells like bad sulfur. The rain must have drowned it.

Can't get any decent plant pots anywhere online at the moment. Used to be able to buy some on Amazon, but none in stock.

I need more bamboo feed, purple slates and at least 3 large plants. Might go for a conifer, spice things up. lol

I'm not bad for my age. Quite enjoy it actually. Has to be dry and warm though. Hate doing it in the rain or in the cold.

Thinking of getting more bamboo. Killed one plant last year, didn't think it was possible. Smells like bad sulfur. The rain must have drowned it.

Can't get any decent plant pots anywhere online at the moment. Used to be able to buy some on Amazon, but none in stock.

I need more bamboo feed, purple slates and at least 3 large plants. Might go for a conifer, spice things up. lol

You. Will. NEVER. Get. Rid. Of. Bamboo.

RD Like 80 has said, it’s very doubtful you have killed it off . Keep it very wet and it will come back . It might take a year or so. The black stemmed bamboo doesn’t spread like the the others , it’s very non invasive .Phyllostachys Nigra . Commonly called black bamboo. Don’t let it dry out out , it will sulk !

There was a Pampas Grass on my allotment when I took it over . First thing I got rid of ha ha .

I knew absolutely nothing about the pampas grass connotations (it must have passed me by!) until one day I asked my gardener about putting some grasses in - he said never ever put Bamboo in and then I pointed to another one and he said 'that's pampas grass, no one plants that anymore!' I went, oh, it looks quite nice, would look lovely in a couple of places on the front lawn - he then fell about in fits, I thought he'd lost his marbles - then he explained.....

My knowledge extends to how to cut the grass, as my wife used to do all the planting/triming etc.

Cut the grass yesterday afternoon and will be doing a bit of weeding this afternoon, quite therapeutic in a back breaking way :wack:
Yup , weeding for us today, I will probably be cutting back last years growth of horrible climber triffid plant that comes over from next door. Wife is weeding the front due the landlord being a cowboy and laying gravel on mud with no membrane to stop the weeds. If it was my place I would obviously do it properly. Fecking idiot put in the tenancy rules that we have to maintain the garden but provided no garage or shed on the property to house the lawnmower or garden tools. I had to buy my own shed.....that wont be staying if I ever get out of here !!