Nuno Espirito Santo | Page 5 | Vital Football

Nuno Espirito Santo

To me it seems so obvious, but it seems so few people can see it.
Agreed, and yet we do have an alternative.
I remember seeing on paper at the start of the season a potential front 3 of CHO,Origi and Elanga and being quite excited by that. Not Collymore/ Roy excited, but given at what stage we are at not bad at all.
And as much as I think we will regret it, I can see the argument in replacing Cooper with a manager that can get a tune out of our Summer recruitment. If that’s your opinion.
I just don’t think we can/will do that.

What hasn't been suggested is that maybe this is Marinakis playing the agents to get a response from his #1 target.
This book has been played before; deliberately court priority player #3 in order to get the #1 priority.

If this is the case or not, we are seeing movement.

I've never been clear on who is responsible for the signing of new players, if it's Coops then he needs to go, if not he stays and the problem needs fixing.
I see the logic but another perspective of what you're saying is this:
If Cooper hired these guys, someone else is better placed to train them. If he didn't, then he is better than anyone else to train a bunch of random footballers.

... which doesn't make much sense.

The guy doesn't have a bad CV but obviously he doesn't have a good reputation in terms of football played.

Oh for a crystal ball to see how any of these decisions might play out...

The guy doesn't have a bad CV but obviously he doesn't have a good reputation in terms of football played.

Oh for a crystal ball to see how any of these decisions might play out...
Remember what Swansea fans were saying about Coops?

I happen to agree with all of this, but I also think Coopers own worst enemy this season has been Cooper. His championship Forest played with absolute swagger and belief and you could tell it stemmed from the belief of the manager…

whilst I absolutely understand the challenge is far harder in this league and you cannot simply replicate that level of forward playing football immediately, the manager appears to have lost his own identity and I worry that he’s a little unsure as to how to get it back without creating problems elsewhere.

You can feel it in the press conferences - he’s gone from talking so confidently about his teams ability to go and win games to ‘hoping we do all we can to try and get a positive result’. I know it’s only media and it’s not a tell all, but I do think his attitude is reflected in the way the team play - hesitantly and imbalanced.

It’s easy to blame a lack of forward and other teams being more established, but 1 win in 14 after another huge net spend and dropping big money signings is a step back… there’s no denying, and whether we like it or not, Cooper has to figure out a way to get us playing well and winning again. There’s simply no excuse for Bournemouth, Fulham, Wolves, Everton and soon maybe even Luton, being comfortably ahead of us.

Wolves and Bournemouth have new managers and in wolves’ case have lost players as well as changed their playing squads - how has Gary O’Neil created an identity and we haven’t? Why do Bournemouth suddenly play with swagger and beat teams in a way we never have? I love cooper but we simply cannot overlook them and seek to blame everything on anything but him. He’s the manager and if he takes credit for the glory, he takes responsibility for the slump. I don’t want him gone, particularly if the solution is Nuno, but he’s got to get back to believing in himself a bit more and that starts by dropping the likes of Kouyate and getting the best out of a champions league midfielder in Sangare and a very talented Dominguez.
Lots to agree with here.

I think he's just being characteristically honest in the press conferences. No point coming out pretending everything is fine. In fact, that would be irritating.

Last season, many of us were optimistic that we would be better in the second half of the season given all the changes to deal with. I think that's the same again. It's very disappointing that Sangare and Dominguez aren't dominating to the point they are undroppable but gems they haven't done too badly IMO - they are clearly taking a while to adapt and find any consistency. The team has looked stronger in the last couple of games with Kouyate. I don't particularly blame them for that but I don't see it as a long term problem either. They will get back in the team and Kouyate will be reasonable backup.

Plenty of other teams have found it hard to transition from defensive to more possession based tactics. We're also struggling - that isn't unique to forest. Perhaps we're trying too much too soon? [paging Ingy.] Maybe we should enjoy ourselves and let Cooper play the team he thinks is most effective, with the tactics he thinks most effective to get points. Most of the players love him. So does most of the crowd. There has been a lot of pressure for us to dominate games and I just think the time required for that shift is painfully long. Certainly a bit questionable whether Nuno (who seems a decent fella and has a good record) has that in his locker. I think the fans would quickly become disappointed with him and get deja vu.

If thats the case then he has to stay with Cooper, help him get rid of the useless loans, shift out some players for fee's - Scarpa, Worrall, McKenna, and back him by singing a CF, Winger and possibly a keeper. 2 out of the 3 can be loans
Finding a decent centre forward is s difficult a singing one virtually impossible.

Finding a decent centre forward is s difficult a singing one virtually impossible.
Probably true- there are plenty of forwards around who find it difficult enough to score goals, without being asked to sing a song at the same time. Though Welsh legend John Charles, who was part of Juventus's forward line in the 1950s nearly became a singer instead of a footballer, so perhaps Forest could go for someone like him.

No what?
What’s their league position been like since he left?
Just playing devil's advocate but have any of Nuno's former teams improved without him?

Wolves are slightly below where Nuno left them and I don't think have finished higher under any subsequent managers.

Spurs are much of a muchness. They have a slightly better season and finish a place or two higher, then a slightly worse season and finish a place or two lower. It doesn't look like Nuno was leading them to a finish particularly out of the ordinary in his short tenure. Spurs fans are renowned for hating "pragmatic" football and have the style bar set very high.

I'm not thrilled at the idea, I'm just trying to find whatever crumbs of hope I can.

For what it's worth, the BBCs sport football webpage is running the story, with a picture of him at the top of the page.

A consensus on here appears to be whoever the manager is we need a striker plus a winger.

Maxi Beier has been touted. £28m mentioned. Young, brave, wins battles, has pace. Plays as a striker but has also played on both wings.

Have only seen video cuttings and the thing that stood out for me was how poor the defenders were. Has anyone seen Maxi live?

Just playing devil's advocate but have any of Nuno's former teams improved without him?

Wolves are slightly below where Nuno left them and I don't think have finished higher under any subsequent managers.

Spurs are much of a muchness. They have a slightly better season and finish a place or two higher, then a slightly worse season and finish a place or two lower. It doesn't look like Nuno was leading them to a finish particularly out of the ordinary in his short tenure. Spurs fans are renowned for hating "pragmatic" football and have the style bar set very high.

I'm not thrilled at the idea, I'm just trying to find whatever crumbs of hope I can.
Spurs are 6 points off the top, playing an exciting brand of football that fully engages with their fans.
Essentially we are going to sack our best manager since Basset, arguably since Clough and replace him with EM’s fourth/fifth choice?
I mean how typically Forest.
I’m sure it will be a success.

Which takes us to 2021, after which he managed Tottenham and Al Ittihad. Neither of those make it into his career highlights, it seems.
I am ignorant of the Saudi league, but he won the league (their 1st in 14 years) and the cup with a win %age of nearly 65%.
They scored 102 goals in 56 games!

I can't understand this loyalty to Mendes, at least not in football terms.
Has he ever done anything that has benefitted our club?
I know we have been critical of the Mendes recruitment model but if that’s what we are going to do, we may as well have a manager who is on board with it.
Nuno knows Cordon and he knows Mendes so you'd like to think that there's some thread now joining this.