NUFC v Arsenal Match Thread | Vital Football

NUFC v Arsenal Match Thread

Toon_NoMatterWot

Alert Team
Just goes to show the effect Rafa is having on the club as we're currently bottom of a table that we usually sit at the top of.

The injury league table.

For the second season running, we've had few injuries and as things stand have an empty treatment room. Think back to seasons under Parsnip and co when we had up to 13 or so cattled.

Souness blamed the pitches and Gullit got a priest to sprinkle holy water on the ground as he reckoned it was cursed. Funny how Rafa's way seems to have sorted things.

*Hope I'm not jinxing owt..

I can see Kenedy and Chambers bubbling over here, dwelling in possession here, can’t do that against these lot.

Most average Arsenal side for years here, stop showing them too much respect and fucking get stuck into them.

yep, has to be said as much as Diame has been lambasted on here (and rightly so) he was everywhere today and played well, a great turnaround in form by the bloke.

I think we are lucky to be in the worst top flight in my living memory and I'm going back to the early 70's. However we've got to give the lads credit and we've just got to hope the fat pig sells us to somebody who can take the club forward.

Enjoyed today's game. Not often we beat Arsenal and although they aren't a top 4 team this season the two forwards on show for them Lacazette and Aubameyang cost £52.6m and £56m respectively. I can't help but be impressed by the work ethic that Rafa has instilled.

The seventeenth appearance live on TV this season and just our third win in front of a world wide audience. Five defeats in front of BT cameras but two wins on the trot with Sky. Just a step away from pay per view.

Among the many debates we've had on this forum and the previous version of it, was how we saw what sort of job Rafa Benitez was doing here.

Personally, I always thought it was a 'job in training' so never really judged when things were going badly as I saw method in the seeming madness and detached my thoughts of him from the shadow that Mike Ashley casts over everything.

Most managers get a good spell but the better ones are those that can learn by mistakes and improve where they've failed before.

Somebody somewhere once famously said that the definition of insanity was doing the same things over and over but expecting different results and whilst Einstein had Alan Pardew's tactics down to a tee, especially the set pieces, this reference works in regards to Rafa's in the way that everyone is fine tuned to the task they have.

Kevin Keegan was and always will be my favourite manager that there's been under my lifetime but him and including Bobby Robson, never had the team as well drilled as Rafa has. Each and every one of them competing to 100% and beyond.

Something has clicked with this side in that they've gone from a championship side playing out of their skin into a capable premier league side by just knowing their jobs.

Comedy types like Ayoze Perez, Paul Dummett and Mo Diame have went from ridicule and complaints to massive applause and songs chanted in their name. The improvement of most impressive indeed.

The elephant in the room is of course Mike Ashley but even he must see the value of everything with Rafa in charge and be preparing in advance. A fall always follows a rise under Ashley, it's expected but maybe for once we're on the cusp of a decent chapter for once.

Takeover or not, the phrase In Rafa We Trust could take us to heights not seen for many a year, it's just Ashley left now that has to buy into it.

As for today's win, there was no nerves from the crowd and the victory was almost expected, it was a strange one.

Man of the match was a toss up between Shelvey and Diame although Diame got in more interceptions, Shelvey created at least six half chances with Gayle not making the most of some of them.

It's funny, was discussing with the tribe about what would have been the turning point of the season.

Either side of Christmas, we had an away win at the Hammers and "only" lost 1-0 against City.

We can see in every match how players who should be below par in this league are improving and gaining confidence, from the defence forward.

There have been some doubters but Rafa has been immense.

It's funny, was discussing with the tribe about what would have been the turning point of the season.

Either side of Christmas, we had an away win at the Hammers and "only" lost 1-0 against City.

We can see in every match how players who should be below par in this league are improving and gaining confidence, from the defence forward.

There have been some doubters but Rafa has been immense.

Ive been thinking about a turning point but performances have been quite consistent all season. Maybe the increase in confidence came when we beat Manure. That being the moment when the self-belief sky rocketed.

That said, since we lost 1-0 at Arsenal's place, today was the 16th league game and we've only lost to Man City twice and at Liverpool since. If that isn't worthy of staying up then I don't know what is.

OK so I have only seen highlights so far.

I may owe Ayoze an apology. He has looked below strength on the ball at times this season but what he does have are quick feet and a great first touch at times.

What I don't make any apologies for is criticising Ashley for not funding a decent striker. Slimani gives another dimension and to think what might have happened if the likes of he and Kenedy had been signed in the summer ........

One thing missed in the highlights is Rafa's tweaking of the tactics ahead of our equaliser.

He switched Kenedy and Ritchie onto alternate sides which I reckon played a part in dragging a couple of their players out of position.

Slimani is a couple of steps above of what we have and it's shown already.